Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

We've got roof flaps!!

BG just let me know that we've got some NASCAR roof flaps on the way over from North Carolina..... To quote an American friend of mine "Yeeeeeeeeeehaw!! That Dog'll hunt!!". There's a double flap and a single flap:

But will they fit??

We'll see when they get here....

The question to be answered when they are installed is how to get them open. There's a car in the US that opens them via a spring that pops it up when the chute is pulled. They did it this way to be sure that it opened and was not left to chance. They had a wild spinout at 200+ last year so have tried them and they advise that they did open fully.

NASCAR's have a vent in the side window that pressurises if they go sideways. This is fed up to the flap and pops it open. Once a side flap is open and there is high pressure air pushing it, some of this air is fed to the next flap via a channel. NASCAR's only have a rear flap and a side flap on the RHS as they almost always spin in this direction due to the banked tracks they race on. We got an extra single flap for the LHS as we could go either way in a spin.

The flaps, once open, disturb the airflow over the roof of the car in an attempt to stop it from acting as a wing and lifting the car. Roof rails also are designed for this purpose.

Lynchy
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

As cool as they are, why aren't you just using roof rails?

You will need some rails to keep the glass in anyway so lengthening them wouldn't be too much of an issue....?

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rev

The roof rail rule states that they must be installed where the record is over 200. The car will have to be fitted with them anyway as would Hooley's Stude. The flaps are just added insurance - just like putting another cross brace in a roll cage....

better to spend a couple of hundred on preventative measures than a couple of hundred on a dash to the hospital.

Lynchy
Lynchy

In Sydney

Post by Lynchy »

I'm in Sydney for a fortnight on a training course and was out at Gaz's place for the weekend just gone. It doesn't look as if much is happening but progress is being made. The tubs are the next thing into the car but they had to wait for the diff to be finished off. I thought that we would mount the diff up into the car and put the wheels on but this really has to wait for the tubs to go in or it will all have to come back out again. We did put the front wheels back on as we had to move the car a bit, there is some new machinery coming into the shed that forced the car to move - a sheet metal roller and a folder....... Gaz will be using these to make up the internal panels for the car.

We couldn't help ourselves and had to throw a few panels on to see what the car will look like. It looks good and we are almost sorry to cut up a bonnet to stick a blower out. The car looks great with a standard bonnet and will eventually get one when we change the V8 out for the Turbo/Supercharged V12. But for now the car will get a bloody big scoop. It's a bit like a supermodel with a broken nose....

I did a bit of measuring of the racer versus one of the standard cars and we found that the racer is 200mm lower than standard. So that would be 75mm roof chop and about 125mm suspension drop. I've done some calculations based on formulas found on Sumners website to work out the car's potential but really need to check that I've got it right. I used a guesstimate of final Cd as this is impossible to calculate without a windtunnel and used this to work out HP needed to run 200, 225 and 250mph. The calculator also works out what weight is needed on the rear tires to minimise wheelspin. It appears that these speeds are possible IF EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT and the gearing is worked out correctly......we'll see.....

Here's another shot. This one shows how rusty the car is:

There is just one spot of rust in the whole car and is almost impossible to see. I thought Dr Goggles would like to see this.

I'll post more info over the next week. I'm limited in access at the moment. See you at the Brisbane Barbie!!
Reverend Hedgash

"like a supermodel with a broken nose"

Yeah baby! I love awkward noses on beautiful women!

I used to love bad teeth too but I'm over that...

too much information shut up you idiot blah blah gurgle

Hurry up or you will miss next year too!

revH
DLRA Member#412
Reverend Hedgash

"one spot of rust"

like a needle to a balloon my friend, (also like virginity, one prick and its gone forever...)

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I used to love bad teeth too but I'm over that

Billy Bob Thornton fan???????

Hurry up or you will miss next year too!

I keep telling him to get his bum in gear, I think the next 6 months will have to be treated like it is a week to go. There's just soooooo much to do when you really think about it.

"one spot of rust"

like a needle to a balloon my friend, (also like virginity, one prick and its gone forever...)

I just had to take a photo of the only rust spot while there is only one. You always want to remember someone when they were at their best....

Lynchy
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I'm having a slooooow day at work and since I heard from Gazza today (I was starting to think he hadn't got around to advising of his funeral details!) thought I'd give a minor update.

Gaz is in Melbourne this week and has dropped the front hubs off to a company down that way to have some new ones made up to accept 5/8" wheel studs in the correct Ford pattern. Jags are set up with a Holden pattern - you'd think they'd change given who their current owners are....

He was complaining, and I don't blame him one bit, about the price per wheel stud @ $37 each!!!! multiply that by 10 and you'll understand why. He thought the rears were pricy at $27.50 each as well.

The new hubs are required as the original is a bit thin where the stud goes through and fitting a new larger stud would make it worse. The price of a new hub is quite reasonable when compared to the studs. I've included a shot of the old front hub and the rear 9" Hub fitted with the 5/8" studs - big difference.

He's also got one of the wheel tubs in place and ready to be fixed in position with Sikaflex and mounting tabs. The other side should be easier as he knows how to do it now. He was trying to cut it as nicely as possible to fit up against the quarter panel, there is a bit of a gap but nothing too horrendous.

Lynchy
Last edited by Lynchy on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverend Hedgash

Hey Lynchy...

hold the phone!

We need to make front hubs from a EH to a Ford pattern... our trailer hubs just simply aren't round enough...(!)

Can you pm me the details, and can we discuss getting two extras made?

Lynchy is welcome to visit our baby this Saturday...

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rev

Incoming PM - Gary (Big Gaz) is in Melbourne at the moment but he doesn't tend to get much in the way of free time on his junkets. I've seen him once in the dozen or so times he's been to Brissie. Put me down for a visit and test sitting next time I'm in town.

Lynchy
Lynchy

Nothing on telly and I've got some new photo's

Post by Lynchy »

Gaz has sent me some photies of the fitting of the right hand wheel tub. He's now got it sussed how to get it in place and how to keep it there. It looks pretty good to me. This car has one of the fattest rear ends I've seen for a while (insert YoMama joke here) the rear quarters bulge out from the base of the side windscreen about 8 inches or so. No good when you're trying to stuff a big tyre in and keep the car low!

Try to imagine the rear clip (blue rectangular tubing) fully sheeted. There won't be much room in the back seat! There will still be room for the fire extinguishers in front of the the tubs behind the central hoop of the rollcage and we might be able to squeeze in a video camera or two! The rear firewall between the cabin and the boot will be pretty small as you can probably see.

Gazza has also fitted a brace underneath the panel below the rear windscreen which will strengthen this area, allow the boot lid to be hinged off it and provide another fixing point for the wheel tubs. I don't think it is in place in this photo though.

One of the criteria of getting the wheel tub in was to hopefully not have much in the way of ledges for salt to build up on. It will happen anyway but we didn't want a large amount of salt building up and sitting there. We wanted the underside of the car to be as easy to clean as possible and as smooth as possible. The lip of the guard may or may not go?? You can also see in this next photo the frame that will be the rear section of the bellypan:

The blue tube at the bottom of the rear quarter is the leading edge of the rear section of the bellypan and it is angled up to the rear of the car (not sure of the angle but it looks right). The tub will have a section added to the bottom to then meet up with this tube. The semicircular inside wall of the tub will also need to be extended down and notched for the diff. Does anyone have any ideas for sheeting beneath the diff under the rear clip?

We are following the Chris Hanlon racecar building methodology of starting at the back and working forward. Once the rear end is completed and sheeted the seat will go in, then the cage will have another bar added tying the front bars together to the firewall.....

While I'm asking questions how about suggestions for a new name for the car? We call it the Shaguar but it's not really a car you'd go cruising in checking out the Ladeeez. Gaz's son suggested Jaginator but I'm sure we can do better..... BTW how about some feedback? I can see people are reading this but what do you reckon? Are we on the right track?

Lynchy
David Leikvold

what's in a name?

Post by David Leikvold »

Lynchy,
Stay with the Shaguar, it's a great name and well recognised. And the car is dead sexy already, imagine what it'll be like when it's finished.
Besides, it gives you and Big Gaz a great excuse to dress up as Austin Powers and wear the stupid false teeth. But only if you bring along a Felicity Shagwell.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec

Post by momec »

Feedback, Lynchy and Gaz as this project develops the quality of your work and the ancient wisdom of if you want it done properly do it yourself shines through. Keep at it guys.
To be honest I'm jealous of the workmanship and l hope my next project is half as good.
BTW by the looks l don't think the back will fall off so the front should be safe :lol:
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Thanks David and Chris - more feedback from Qld!

But only if you bring along a Felicity Shagwell.

We'll just have to see what Bob Ellis is up to....... he is a busy bloke you know.

Gaz has fabricated a brace to go over the top of the tub and strengthen it up. He took a piece of 25mm angle and cut a notch in one side every 25mm and then bent it to suit the curve of the tub. It will be on the inside of the car up against the existing metal supports for the side window and rear pillar.

He's running out of steel at the moment but will have more for the coming weekend. Should have more pics soon.

Lynchy
Lynchy

New update - Firebottles

Post by Lynchy »

Gary has built up the first firebottle mount for the car. There will be 4 firebottles in total - 2 for the engine bay and 2 for the cabin. He was talking about 1 for the cabin and 1 for the boot but has changed his mind. There isn't a lot of room for the bottles in the cabin but there was juuust enough behind the cage and in front of the wheeltub.

This shot shows where they will mount and how tight it is. The gap on the far side of the mount will be filled in with a panel allowing about 2" of access to get a spanner on the 4 link bolts from underneath the car. The wheel tub will continue down and mate up with the rear of the mount strengthening the tub as well.

See the notch on the front of the mount? That's to clear the cross brace on the roll cage! There isn't a lot of room! Here's another view of how it mounts.

The red tape you can see in the pictures is holding a piece of strap to the seatbelt/harness mounting bar. You can see it best in the first photo. The rules require 2 seperate mounting points for the bottles so the strap will be bent into a "W" and welded to the cage with straps made up to hold the top of the bottles in position. The mounts will then have a foam strip stuck inside of them to provide additional grip to the straps.

In the top photo you can also make out the piece of angle that has been bent and is used to strengthen the top of the wheel tub where it butts up to the rear clip. This is the same on the other side of the tub where it butts up to the cars body.

As an accountant he's a pretty good welder! He would have got more done but he also had to help his Dad make up an engine stand for his vintage Vauxhall. He modified an engine stand I came by years ago that was originally used for diesel bus engines. The Vauxhalls engine is pretty heavy! Here's some more shots of the finished article (getting back on track):

You can also see how little room there will be inside the car as well. The plan was always to have the option of putting in a passenger seat not for the Lake but for Powercruise or events where it could be driven. This limits available room but is a worthwhile idea. The sheetmetal that covers the rear clip is in position but not the tranmission cover. Once these go in it will be a bit more claustrophobic. Remember that the car is just on a metre tall from the ground to the top of the roof with only around an inch or two ground clearance. The last photo is also a good shot of how the roll cage is joined into the car at the sills. These are big sections of angle at the base of the cage, the trans tunnel also adds to the strength of the cage. There will be side intrusion bars going in later.

Gary is still waiting on the roof flaps, they are on a slow boat from the US. The front hubs should be ready soonish.

Lynchy