2008 engine build

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Problem found, jezzz, Iv'e been swimming in engine oil for 2 weekends now, but Iv'e found where the oils going, and it's not where it's 'sposetago.
Crankcase split time, again, more alloy welding, again.
This might be a good opportunity to change the way the oils fed too, at the moment its stock honda 125, designed for hi flow, low pressure, everything is fed from one gallery but I have my doubts the big end bearing is going to get its fair share of oil @ 50 psi, once the gearbox,piston cooling nozzle and head have had their bit.
I'll nutout the possibility of stealing the oil supply before it gets to the gallery, feeding it to the crank, and using the pressure relief valve to direct the excess oil back into the gallery, and on to the parts that need oil, figuring that most of its life will be spent at warp speed RPM, there SHOULD be enough oil left over once the slipper big end bearings has its fill,to have enough oil to lube and cool the rest ????
I won't know till I try it ?
Tiny :roll:
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
momec

Post by momec »

Tiny
Its pioneers like you that make Salt Lake racing...err... different, good luck with that. :lol:
Chris
Acme Racing #251
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

What a weekend !
My thoughts kept wandering , thinking what I'd be doing right now @ our beloved lake G , if the salt gods hadn't turned nasty again :(
But theres good news for me from the creation station,,,,
My oil problems are GONE ! :D
After what seems like a lifetime, but is actually a month or so, I have good pressure everywhere it's needed, and a little too much flow to the cams (a simple reduction in oil supply orifice should do it)
I ended up re-routing the oil from the pump, bypassing the stock oil gallery and machining a slug gun barrel to supply oil through the clutch cover,directly into the crank, past the r/h main bearing feed hole (it gets whats left after the big end gets its fill now), there's a shit load of rough looking tee's, a squillion hoses and hose clamps that divert oil to where its needed, with a by pass valve making sure pressure stays at 55 PSI, then what oil is left gets sent back into the original oil gallery to feed the gearbox shafts.
Yesterday had a scarry moment, resulting on crankcase separation number 10, and 11 when a thrust washer dropped off during re assembly, but the low oil pressure and fluctuation was due to a split "O" ring
behind the pump .
Iv'e never been so happy to watch ltrs of penrite piss out of an engine before, lol,,,,,, keeping it inside the engine will be another challenge.
Next job will be to make an oil distribution manifold to tidy up the mess of hoses, recheck flow to the top end, squrt oil all over the shed floor from the piston cooling nozzle, then it's time for the FINAL ASSEMBLY :shock:
Tiny
Last edited by gennyshovel on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Good work, the only thing lacking is PHOTOS!

Would love to see that oil gallery maze in the flesh but I did see the wheels that Dr G is delivering.

You are a strange man.

RevH+
DLRA Member#412
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:Good work, the only thing lacking is PHOTOS!

Would love to see that oil gallery maze in the flesh but I did see the wheels that Dr G is delivering.

You are a strange man.

RevH+

There ya go Reverend
I should have asked Dr G to roll the wheels down the salt, to condition 'em
That " strange " man,
T'fer
Tiny DLRA# 484
momec

Post by momec »

Obviously more than one use for a coke bottle ehh.

Tiny I should have mentioned it earlier but we use a specific oil at work doing similar testing that simulates hot engine oil viscosity. If your doing further tests let me know and I'll find what it is. Its very runny and give you a better idea of losses in a hot engine.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
momec

Post by momec »

Tiny PM at ya
Chris
Acme Racing #251
colinjay

Post by colinjay »

Tiny,

I would have thought with your past experience with HD's that you would be used to having more oil outside the engine than inside!

CJ
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I resemble that remark , slob, Mr Jay sir :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
You do realise, in the absence of a yuppy type dip stick in the harley's oil bag, the only way to see if any oiling is taking place, is to have some leak out in strategic places ?
Whe the leaks stop, its time to put more iol in .
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Dr Goggles

got any ideas?

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hey Tiny
I went out to this salt lake joint recently and when I got there I realised I was a few bits short of what I needed to race....like a frame and ,er, a motor plus a couple of other miscellaneous bits and pieces....got any ideas...?

Image[/img]

Now , Cled had a bit of a spin on it too ( bit of a Rollie Free moment), I won't be posting the shots of that for the moment but he thought it handled pretty well but might need a little sorting in the rake and trail department .....

I know you've been having some oiling issues lately , here we're trying a bit of plain label olive oil , a little bit of salt and a squeeze of lemon and these little beauties will make you look like Gordon Blue :lol:

Finally just to make you all pine a shot of the lake at the 2mile , ah it's a beautiful place...those familiar with the lake will know that this is a view to the north east ,the track would normally run off to the right ...you can see a tyre mark that has left an impression not sure when it was left there , possibly four or five days prev'

:wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

The salt looks really lumpy compared to previous years. Did it flatten down much to walk on or is it like Dr Scholls sandals?

Lynchy
Dr Goggles

green eggs and ham

Post by Dr Goggles »

Lynchy wrote:The salt looks really lumpy compared to previous years. Did it flatten down much to walk on or is it like Dr Scholls sandals?

Lynchy

Actually more Dr Seuss than Scholl...it was covered in some areas in lumps the size of walnuts.......(now I know Bob likes walnuts) kind of like there'd been a hail storm...Pete and I hadn't seen it like that before.I'll post some shots elsewhere of the lagoon over on the western side of the lake where we stopped where a lot of debris must have been washed on during the big storms a year or more back .Totally different and the salt was "wafer thin"

surely Sir?

.....better get me a bucket.....
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

judgeing by the cap ya wearing, you`ll be running in the fuel class , a :?: :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :?:

Tiny DLRA# 484
momec

Salted nuts

Post by momec »

Um Goggles,
just to set the record straight I'm told Bob does'nt actually like walnuts. He just likes to lick the salt off them so it looks like hes got quite a job. :lol:
Chris
Acme Racing #251