2008 engine build

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Gogs,,you still on the morphine?
There are a few non saltsters from the silverton pub team this year, looks like 12 going this year, Fraze' son Cec will be riding the 125, after a 3 year wait, poor lil bugga.
The big bike is getting a close internal frame examination to check for possible rust , 'till it checks out ok, plans for a non blown run are on hold.
Rumor has it the silverton hotel salt race team might have a car mole member this year also :oops:
There's another local, Oges , who has built a cleveland powered rail that'll have its maiden voyage this year too.
Hopefully, we'll send two forward scouts thurs. or friday to assist in the track prep.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Good to hear the news from ya Tiny,we need all the hands,arms &legs(or should that be Kegs?) we can get , to make sure every thing's set up early. Have been following your developments on the 2 wheeler,maybe a market for your improvements!! Aust Post should be retrofitting their postie bikes with your engines!!
Imagine how much quicker they'd get the Bills to my letter box??
We "should" be at Chris&Jo's (Silverton Pub) on Wed 4th for the night,all going well with the trip. Cheers , Bob.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

The head is looking better now !
I have a fair bit of cleaning to do before it makes it back on the bottom end,,damn dust storms !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

It's good to visit forwards backwards land again,,,,NOT ! :cry:
Yesterday was looking like startup day, the engine was primed with oil , taken off the bench, all good,,until the kicker fouled the meggy,,,oops,,wrong kicker,,no probs,,fitted the "special" one.
Kicked through a few times without a spark plug,,fine,,until,,,,,my eye caught the crank oil feed line qiving a sneaky 1/4 turn,,oops.
Thants when it took a turn for the worse,,damn clutch cover won't come off, the new oil feed had picked up a burr, and stuck,,REAL tight, and it's tapped into the clutch cover, holding it on.
Luckilly,,its R/H thread, and by turning the engine over,,it un-threads itself, and allows the cover to be removed
The stainless feeder had to be coaxed out with a puller, and sure enough,,it had burred up. A quick spin in the lathe cleaned it up, and a little more clearance won't hurt (I HOPE).
A trial re-fit revealed the problem,,,"close 'nuff" lambert wasn't close 'nuff and the hole I drilled into the cover was .5 mm out, kicking the feeder out of whack,,making it bind.
The solution was file the hole to allow a sloppy fit of the feeder, wrap the feed in teflon tape before sliding it into the crank, and fill the hole with JB weld,,problem solvered (I hope)
The smell of methanol and castor will soon fill the creation station again :D
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Bugga !
Forwards backwards has moved in again, well backwards has anyway :evil:
The only castor oil tainted methanol coming from the shed this week is from unburnt carby drainings, although I did WOOF a little bit, but only in the exhaust system.
NO COMPRESSION !
Off wid de head, again, (it's not getting any easier to do), do valve seats usually have speed humps in 'em ?
I need a holiday !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Bugger!
Stick with it mate
(no pain...........no gain)
You'll get there in the long run.

Good luck & we await the day she does fill the shed with fumes :wink:
better still, running flatout on the white stuff :D
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Still progressing,,mostly forwards !
I made the new fitting for the bigend feed, but the feeded galled and tried to spin, again ! (luckilly, only while being kicked with ignition off).
Back to 10mm stewies,,fog it,,it's not a swiss watch,,give it 004" clearance,,and sein' as it grabs way down on the end, chop it off so it only pokes 20mm into crank (hopefully ALL the oil don't squish out 'tween the gap , and not oil the bigend, but the test will see)
I fixed that prob,,and ran it, till it dissapeared into a cloud of SMOKE !,,,I hadn't noticed the (one of 4 lines) oil return from the head was rubbing on the belt,,cutting thru the hose,,and as it was at @ melting temp,,,,it smoked up a bewdy !
Also,,the rocker covers wre gushing oil,,and the temporary clear return lines from the cam return were chockers,,problem,,,,,TOO MUCH OIL TO CAMS,,and not 'nuff return line capacity (4 into 1)
Solution NO1,,drill clutch cover to accept press fit and loctited "water rat" stainless tube,,a plus it they look PURDY.
Start again,,,,methanol pissing outa carb,,,shit in needle and seat,,,,clean,,start again,,,still too much oil to cams,,,,,,solution NO2,,fill fittings feeding into cams with solder,,and drill to 1.5mm (same size as a Honda 125 SOHC feed),,result,,TOO MUCH OIL FEED,,daemmmmmmmmmm !
I dragged oit my trusty 1.25 ltr coke bottle with the tyre valve in the bottom,,and an AN-3 fitting in the lid,,grabbed some more ex ebay AN / npt adaptors and had a brainwave in the process,,,,use some pilit jets from the FZR downdraught carbs, drill and tap fittings to accept 'em,,and pump oil @ 50 psi thru 'em,,bugga,,,drip drip aint enough,,,,,so drilled one to #95 number drill,,,,too much oil,,,drill another to #55,,not 'nuff,,drill again to #75,,,purrrfect (on the + side of purrfect actually,,but concern of minute particles in oil possibly clogging jet,,not good,,so # 75 will do.
I ran it long enough to drink 1 ltr of methanol,,at idle,,wid a few throttle blips,,,,purrrfect with exhaust cam,,,a little too much on intake ? once again,,the test ride will tell me (clear temp return lines)
I'm getting there,,,gotta pull the fittings again,,clean,,and loctite the jets in,,'cos if the fall out,,the cam lube holes will chew 'em up,,and I'll have another '09 failure.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good stuff Tiny,

Who was it that said LSR is boring?

Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Dr Goggles

bleaghg

Post by Dr Goggles »

I had to read that about three times before I understood it, but it is Boxing day night, nice one T'fer, what should really be happening is we should have a "Budfabb" style body being built for you to build donks for, we'd rock. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Shhhhh, Iv'e been lingering 'round Airtech's "charlie toy" fairings possibly for 1011, providing I reach my target speed unfaired next year, without hurting anything again, including my wallet .
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Rob

Post by Rob »

gennyshovel wrote:possibly for 1011,

1011 huh Tiny,

Looks like you're about 998 years too late ;)

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Tiny i have a set of airtech landspeed tail fairings i brought back last year, cut up for cheap postage but not hard to reassemble (done it several times now )
Yours if you want
From what i remember of my honda 100 days the oil feed will not be blocked unless you use silicone , then it is a certanty , stuffed several cams gave the the local engineer a chance to learn how to bush honda heads
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Thanks Greg, we can talk about the airtech ass ends at the lake.
Honda 4's did the same silicon trick well also, but I wouldn't have tried a yoshi cam if it hadn't shagged the original,,,damn,,,those things could bend the tach stop !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Oil,,,can't do without it, can't manage to contain it,,,,damn oil leaks,,,,,1 small drip for man, one major hurdle for mankind.
On a positive note, the leak has now returned to it's former 1 drip every 2 seconds, after running for 2 minutes, not like the 1st "fix" where it gushed as soon as the pressure reached 50 psi (its not related to pressure though,,just the left overs from cam lube).
Iv'e run 2 extra return lines, reduced the feed to a safe level, any smaller orifice would easilly get clogged by a foreigner that happened to slip thru the 2 filter screens, made several new "O" rings out of the wrong size material (xmas sux) and will order some 2.75, and 3mm tomorrow (living in the sticks sux too, when you need something NOW !)
As a safety net, Iv'e bought some 3mm hollow surgical tubing online, and a new tube of gasket eliminator if the previously mentioned supplies don't work (still)
Ive also rounded up a few corners with JB weld to help the O ring make the 90 degree bends easier.
In the bench test runs, the carb managed to find some incombatible liquids that , when mixed together , form an invisible Jel, and it takes 3 carb cleans and blow thru's to clear, and I still don't know what it looks like ?
If only oil was white !
Cutoff date for noms nears,,and still no test ride !
SHEEEEEEEET !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

yep,,,it's still leaking,,,but not from where I thought,,accidentally, after removing the timing belt, yet again, with the plan of removing the ex cam drive wheel to access an elbow behind it, whicj always looked too shiney for its own good,,,I notices one little drop of golden lube drip from the lower corner of the INTAKE cam cover,,yeah,,the one I was sure was NOT leaking, so after plugging a few oil return lines, and pumping a syringe full of fresh oil into the intake cam chest and waiting,,watching,,behind a 1000 watt floodlight, in the 110 degree shed, I watched the oil drip secretly behind the ex cam wheel, onto the head, and finally, over the seal holder, and dripping from where I thought the leak originated, also , some found its way to the suspect elbow.
Maybe,,I'm close to fixing it,,but now it's time for work again,,,and the next few days will be spent recovering from 2 10 hr nite shifts, by when, ,hopefully, the heat wave will easel, and I'll get into the more important oil leak solving again.
The bonus from todays test run is that I'm a little bit closer to evening up the tally with my young drunk neighbors, having succeded in waking them from the dead long enough for them to slam their bedroom window shut after their all nite doof doof music marathon.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484