2008 engine build

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Rocket

Post by Rocket »

gennyshovel wrote:The bonus from todays test run is that I'm a little bit closer to evening up the tally with my young drunk neighbors, having succeded in waking them from the dead long enough for them to slam their bedroom window shut after their all nite doof doof music marathon.
Tiny

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
Rob

Post by Rob »

That's the way tiny, I used to use a ski boat to the same effect!

Here's hoping that's been your oil leak all along.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Jezzzzz, my ears HURT! :D the little fella is sounding SWEET ! just a little hesitaion off idle, sometimes, but once I get some serious heat into the engine within the next week during a test run,,,,
Oh yeah,,,,NO BLOODY OIL LEAKS :D , excluding the clutch cover gasket which had been on and off a zillion times the past few weeks, a newie will cure that.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Dr Goggles

good news

Post by Dr Goggles »

goo dto hear T'fer, don't kill it before you get to the lake :roll: and yueah we're going OK
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Progress was halted yesterday when the fuel pump died, but the auto shop was open and gladly took my money in return for a new pump.
But,,,,,,,
Test run completed today, and it STILL GOES !
That's an improvement on last year, I just froze my nuts off @ 6.30 am and probably did 3 miles or so, moderate revs with a few 10 grand changes with a total of 6 takeoffs.
The important outcome being I seem to have cured the oiling issues that pulled me up real quickly at the lake last year.
Still have some carb jetting issues to address (pilot circuit) but I feel confident enough to now nominate , hopefully it wont cost me $1 per metre this year !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good on you Tiny,

Perserverance paid off :wink: that has to be a relief.

Cheers,
Rob
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

It sure is Rob, I spent much of the day looking for a new home for the fuel pump, and throwing the holley regulator back on, the bypass setup still leaves too much fuel pressure for the needle and seat to handle.
Finding spare spaces to mount the pump is proving damn near impossible, but maybe it'll fit between the battery box and the rear tyre, just to make fitting the battery more difficult than it already is (if that's possible)
Early night tonight I recon :wink:
The cheques in the mail :D
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

It's funny stuff this alcohol, all the tricks Iv'e learnt over the years jetting carbies for petrol just serve to confuse me when playing with Meth.
Yesterday,my biggest prob was a stumble off idle when blipping the throttle, once cleared, it responded fine, pulling like Glenelg tram @ anything over 1/8th throttle.
The textbooks will tell you this is the pilot / air circuit's job, and their partly correct,,,,but,,,even @ idle, with the throttle fully closed, there is still fuel bleeding through the main jet.
Here's why,,,,after hawkwinds lean condition mishap, the fear of melting something convinced me to up the jetting from #310 main, and #55 pilot, to #340 main,,and #65 pilot.( the bike ran fine last year)
While tracking my current prob, I went back to #55 pilot, leaving the #340 in, this helped, but the stumble was still there,,now, not having a #55 pilot and 'cost dropping the needle is an ablolute pain, I threw a #320 main in ,,,problem solved !
Now, if the main jet doesn't have an effect on the idle circuit,as Prof Julius Sumner-miller would say,,,, why is it so !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Tiny i melted 2 heads in the US this year, bloody methanol is unforgiving stuff ..... but does it go :D
going to give it one more try, better ign system to make sure it all burns and can run richer without putting out the spark
also learnt to index the plugs so the earth strap is not on the hot exhaust side of the chamber,and double washer to put the tip into a cooler zone
remove any edges that can cause a hot point in the head like the ridge between exhaust valves
Spare head arrives this week then it back onto the dyno :twisted:
Dr Goggles

shy

Post by Dr Goggles »

Now I dunno why he's been so cagey about it , but Tiny sent me some shots of his new bodywork, I don't know why he didn't just post them here, It's a good looking job, I just wonder that it may run a little hot, nice muffler though...it should be a "pearler" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ya see , he even went to the trouble of putting his name on the seat....what a trooper :lol: :lol:

...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Damn you Jimmy,,I was TRYING to keep it under wraps, or those banana benders will ALL have one :oops:
T'fer
Tiny DLRA# 484
Rob

Post by Rob »

Another gen-ewe-whine Kiwi product methinks.
Last Minute Racing

Post by Last Minute Racing »

it should be a "pearler"

Like "knit one pearl one"?

Thanx
Dave
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Dave
I'm a little disturbed that you actually know that. What was it again knitt one pearl what. See what hanging around plumbers that live in the Adelaide Hills does to you.

See you and Dirty in March

Plucka
Last Minute Racing

Post by Last Minute Racing »

Did I say that out loud? :oops:
Thanx
Dave