Mr whippy makeover

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Dr Goggles

the Blues

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hey grumm

Percy Jones who played for Carlton allegedly had a "W" tattooed on each buttock ...what did it say......?????????
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
hawkwind racing

breaking news

Post by hawkwind racing »

Well Im a surprised and happy chappie ,my map must be rough enough ,I fired the old girl up tonight and Ill be stuffed it started and ran , though the A/F meter registered RICH only(it does this when the afr is below its limit ) , I dared to rev it out to about 4K rpm and it was crisp and wanted to rev higher ,no boost at 4k ,some problems showed up though , its not charging and there is a small leak somewhere , I set the fuel pressure up with kero because if there were leaks I would not have methanol spraying every where , no leaks with the kero ,but there is with the alky , another thing I discovered ,with the kero I set the fuel pressure at 40psig, when I changed over to the alky th pressure was closer to 50 psi ,must be the specific gravity ? anyway find and rectify the problems and play with the maps and make them a little leaner , then book in for a dyno session
cheers
Gary
grumm441

Gary's Workshop

Post by grumm441 »

Hey Gary
I think you are on the wrong track
I was looking at the pictures, and in the workshop I see a 12v soldering Iron and some mandrel bends?
I don't think soldering up the exhaust will work.
I think you should seriously consider using a mig welder:?
G
hawkwind racing

Re: Gary's Workshop

grumm441 wrote:Hey Gary
I think you are on the wrong track
I was looking at the pictures, and in the workshop I see a 12v soldering Iron and some mandrel bends?
I don't think soldering up the exhaust will work.
I think you should seriously consider using a mig welder:?
G

you mean to tell me that not the way to do it :cry: whats a mig welder ???
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Dear Mr Whippy , a Mig Welder is just a 240 volt,200 amp , SOLDERING IRON! Go forth and create!! cheers , Bob #66 C/GCC.
Dr Goggles

Whip-it-good

Post by Dr Goggles »

BOB ELLIS wrote:Dear Mr Whippy , a Mig Welder is just a 240 volt,200 amp , SOLDERING IRON! Go forth and create!! cheers , Bob #66 C/GCC.

Nah it's more like a hand held Dairy-Queen(*) machine except metal of your choice comes out instead of ice-cream...........

*..that's a soft serve for you Macca's folk....

speaking of welding ....here's some tips on cleaning up your welds....

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... DEF3060864
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

I think it only has a Mr Whippy motor...the rest is a "complete makeover"

you've been busy young man...good luck with all the tuning Gary and dyno testing.

That's a cool looking drag bike and paint job :)
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
hawkwind racing

Today was spent trying to destroy MR Whippy on the mechanical torture devise aka chasis dyno ,my fuel maps were sorted out ,idle was regained , quite a few small problems came to light and were rectified and in true mr whippy style ,the oil was reduced to the consistancy of a frothy slime , the joys of using methanol , well mr whippy was sadly defecient in one area and failed to produce what was required :oops: ,hopefully a cure can be found so its full potential can be realised .
Well for some fun here are a couple of questions
1. what was the weak link ??
2. what rear wheel HP did mr whippy make before it pulled the pin ??
3. how much boost did it manage ??
Mr whippy is a 4 cylinder of 998cc capacity
any correct answer gets a years worth of pre loved methoil
cheers
Dr Goggles

divino

Post by Dr Goggles »

I won't even try on that one Gary , but instead I pose another question....

Alcohols are bi-polar solvents , they can dissolve in oils via hydrogen bonds and they also have an ionic end on the molecule meaning they can dissolve in water so they act like a detergent and bond oils to water...as you'll know the short way to get water out of your fuel system is to put some metho in your fuel tank(!!!!!!) the short way to get water into your oil is to use alcohol as a fuel....

The contamination , is it reversible by heating the oil....or does the methanol have an irreversible effect on the oil?

would it be possible to just heat the oil til the water and alcohol had boiled off?
ben james

Post by ben james »

i'm going to have a stab in the dark gary
1 clutch
2 258hp
3 12 pounds
now wheres that old oil
regards ben the forum lurker
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

hawkwind racing wrote:,the oil was reduced to the consistancy of a frothy slime , the joys of using methanol ,
cheers

Try using "Total Seal" gapless rings Gaz, they reduce blowby to the extent that its almost non existent (thus reducing the meth / oil problem )
Phil Cvirn put me onto 'em, and Iv'e used 'em in the Harley for a few years, my oil stays cleaner longer, and my right leg now resembles the incredible Hulk's.
Best you get a good oil sponsor too mate, 'cos you will need to drop it a lot when using the "great white dyno" next march.

! . dunno
2. dunno
3. dunno
What sorta Ign advance figures you using ?

Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
hawkwind racing

ben james wrote:i'm going to have a stab in the dark gary
1 clutch
2 258hp
3 12 pounds
now wheres that old oil
regards ben the forum lurker

Ben me thinks you have been lurking on some kawasaki forums :wink: you forgot the .7, ben is correct ,I have confirmed one sliping clutch and one blown head gasket from the big pressure spike when it let go ,on that run we were going for aprox 18/20 psi the clutch was a stock item with a barnett heavy duty kit ,I now have to track down a lock up if they exist for this model ??
Any oil sponsers out there :)
Tiny thanks for the tip :)
now back to the shed to pull it apart for repairs :cry:
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Thats a reasonble hp figure for that bike at 12 psi , if you can get it to hold up to 18 i'm sure the 300 will be reached.

how similar is the clutch to the gpz750 turbo, there was a plan and drawings on Lorcans gpz750 turbo site for a DIY lockup clutch, i have a copy here somewhere if its any good to you (and i can find it)
hawkwind racing

clutch problem solved ,it now sports a zx11 lock up ,a special thanks to club member Jeff Lemon for his generous offer and help ,much appreciated mate :D

A happy new year to all
gary
Last edited by hawkwind racing on Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Good stuff Gary, I know ya put alota effort , time and sitting on bar stools thinking about this stuff.

catch ya soon
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice