Vespa Dry Lake Racer lives...

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

no, save the space for beer. I can't make it this year unless I win the lottery and they put a Crèche and day spa next to the café (of course that could be funded by someone's lottery win). Thanks for the offer :D

I am now aiming for 2011 and since I have time I can easily build a ported KDX 231 head which will bolt straight on. I'll also look at solid wheels (rubber or something?) to obtain higher speed rating and increase the gyroscopic effect for stability.

I will probably aim for a record in another 250cc class (one without 121 mph to beat). I am guessing that adding nitros would change the class from G to F?
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
internetscooter

Here are the results for yesterday's dyno run.

As we went back to the same dyno we used a few years back, we had an original standard Vespa 200cc dyno result to compare to (the little squiggle at the bottom of the chart :wink: ). The results are from a true rear wheel power dyno (not a machine that measures rear wheel power and adjusts that value up to guess what the crank power is).

The results show that we need to have a wide tyre to lower gearing in addition to the 24/63 primary drive. Our peak power is 25.5 hp at 7500 rpm which is 88 mph with our current gearing. With a wide tyre we'd bump this up to 93 mph. At ~8,000 rpm (100 mph with a wide tyre) we still have around 22 hp. The should be enough power but it would be nice to shift to peak power up 500 rpm just to be sure.

Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
internetscooter

Re: Vespa Dry Lake Racer lives...

OK - some of the posts went missing, the can now be found at http://files.internetscooter.com/dlra/d ... ives__.mht

Now lets try out a new cool feature of the forum... I cab embedd youtube directly :) Simply select the youtube reference e.g. xO85NjAGu6Y and hit the youtube button above :)

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Now that is interesting!

Why isn't there grey bubble behind your bum as well though?
DLRA Member#412
internetscooter

Reverend Hedgash wrote: Why isn't there grey bubble behind your bum as well though?
It's the negative pressure setting, the closer to zero I set it the bigger the bubble. The bubble show above is just the more extreme values.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

This is not very helpful but....

I love the front view, it looks like a red faced bloke in a really big parka riding a scooter!

It's not a bad tool though for a free app.
momec

Post by momec »

Really interesting, be good to model the F100. That would be a lot of red :?
Acme Racing #251
internetscooter

OK - been busy buying and selling a house... done... just the move left...

I've found a place that will scan the scooter in 3D, so I have finished off the mount welding of the forward facing pipe. It is now road (and lake) worthy again!!!

I can now ride it to get scanned, move to the new house, build a shed and then get it back ;)

Hopefully by then the CNC mounting will also be done (through a mate) and I can start making aerodynamic bits based on the scanned model.

Also a few other things planned but they will just be improvements on an already race ready Vespa :)
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Welcome back and well done on hte house.

Good luck with the move and body scan.

d
DLRA Member#412
Last Minute Racing

Post by Last Minute Racing »

FASTER! FASTER! BANG F&^*K! F%&*K! F#$%K! s*** MORE MONEY
internetscooter

An update...

The good news is that I got the scooter scanned and the 3D model from http://www.scan-xpress.com.au is now in my hands! I am away to Adelaide for a week so I get to take my virtual scooter with me and start on putting through a virtual wind tunnel :) Below is a picture of one of the reduced meshes (made for easier CFD). I am very happy with the result!

The bad news is that I ordered my new shed through Bunnings and they stuffed up :( What was going to be a quick shed upgrade turned into getting something the same size as the last one due to them stuffing up the order. It was either that or wait another month! It's only temporary so I better get organising the final lab! Anyway it should be up also by the time I get back :)
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
internetscooter

I have done a bit more work - mostly cleaning off the pink paint and spots (pokerdots) used for the 3D scanning and preparing the scooter for the new clean look (which won't be pink ;) ). As far as CFD modelling goes I have done a test run this time with my new "real" Vespa model and fake rider. This has already shown me that with the seat in the new position I should no longer need the screen, assuming a can ride that low. Also the front indicators contribute a lot to the aerodynamic drag, the big red areas indicate high negative pressure zones.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Courtesy of where I work, who let me use my models for testing new high performance computing hardware :)

Next step: I am working on a rider model that is exactly my shape and that I can sit a different positions. Then getting actual drag and lift calculations and trying out different things to reduce drag and improve stability. Also the CNC machine is progressing slowly and that will allow me to manufacture shapes after tesing them in the virtual windtunnel.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Tell the truth Paul,,,you just wanted to know where a fart goes @ 100+ MPH :mrgreen:
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
RGV

Post by RGV »

A methane powered Vespa ??

Would that be Gas?

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
internetscooter

I am sure that any extra fuel generated along the way will not change the class - though it might give fully blown a new meaning ;)
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org