Trevor Slaughter's Streamliner

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Lynchy

Trevor Slaughter's Streamliner

Post by Lynchy »

I promised Big Trev that I would start a build diary and give weekly updates on the progress with his liner.

Trevor kicked off his build a while ago but wanted to get the car going asap so advertised for some help. So, since the Jag is in Sydney and I don't get down there so often, I volunteered. Dave Leikvold also volunteered and so did some of his mates. Trevor filled out the rest of the team with his crew from his drag racing days. So we have Trevor, Phil, Richard the first, David, Richard the 2nd and myself attending build nights every Tuesday night.

So, the car. The streamliner is a very nice piece of work and will compete in the F/BFS class. F=under 3 litre BFS=BlownFuelStreamliner. The engine is a Toyota 2JZ with a turbo. Trevor hopes to do better than 300mph against a record of 325 in the US. We should do better than the Aussie record as it is currently open!!

This is how it looks at the moment. In fact this was a few weeks ago and we've been madly fabricating mounts / brackets / firewalls etc since that time. You can see the twin parachute tubes at the rear under the push bar and the hole above the push bar is where the 5" exhaust will exit. The exhaust is a straight line from the outlet of the turbo. You can also see the diff:

It's a Winters Quickchange with, I think, a 2.2 ratio centre. It has brakes fitted and these will only be used below 100mph with primary braking via the parachutes. The brakes will be activated by a hand lever in the cockpit.

Another view of the rear where you can see the upright which will be the leading edge of a rear fin.

The motor. This is the intake side.

And the exhaust side - very nice exhaust work by Phil!!

I've got a bunch more photo's but will post more during the week so that I can spread out the post......

Bob Ellis should be happy to see some activity on the forum!!!!!

Lynchy
Last edited by Lynchy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

You've done very well Mr Lynch,You get a star on your lunchbox :D .good stuff,lets have more stuff!
cheers , Bob.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Great stuff, who said Queenslanders were'nt a creative lot ?
Funnilly enough, I also spend most tuesday nights in the creation station, what is it with tuesdays ?
I hope you give the port a nudge too,,oh , silly me,,,its not freezing up there is it ?
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Very nice
That poor little engine ... with a turbo like that your close to leaving out the pistons and just calling it a jet :lol:

How much torque will the quickchange take ??
Trevor : DLRA 136

Post by Trevor : DLRA 136 »

Greg,
I do not have the figures with me, they are in the shed, but the internals are the same as Terry Nish's liner and he produces a s*** load more than us.
Regards,
Trevor
Trev. DLRA 136
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

You probably all know by now that Trevor hits the forum as DLRA 136. He spends some time checking out what goes on in this forum and so can answer all the technical questions. The car has been his baby for quite a while now after bouncing around in his head even longer.

Trevor can also do an intro for Phil the engine builder and master of the TIG + Richard, master fabricator & fellow fisherman. Both of these guys crewed on his dragster which Phil now owns.

Lynchy
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

No Build Night tonight as Trevor is away on business today.

Time for some more update:

From where we left off the last picture was of the motor. At the base of the motor you can see the fittings for the dry sump. The oil tank is fitted to the firewall in front of the motor (take note of the firewall - Dave Leikvold obsessed over this to get it perfect):

You can also see the oil breather and the coolant filler here as well. The car will have a radiator for the engine coolant fitted. The filler feeds down to two aluminium tubes located either side of the cockpit which feed into an electric pump that then pushes the coolant through the block and radiator. The radiator will be one side of the motor and an air to air intercooler will be the other side. Intake ducts will be on either side of the car with hot air exiting at the rear of the car.

The gearbox is yet to arrive. Trevor tells us it is an air (CO2) shifted B&J 5 speed with 5th being 1:1. Then a short uni joint to the diff.

Some more recent rear end shots:

The parachute tubes + push bar + parachute mount + big hole for exhaust.

You can see a saddle tank about half way up in this shot. This is one of the two fuel tanks but these have been removed. The new tanks will be a bit wider and lower than these. You can also see the canopy in the up position as well.

So moving forward to the cockpit:

This is the old seat that has now made way for a Kirke aluminium seat. Trevor suited up last week and we shoved him in for a test fit. He said it was snug but comfortable. He got in so that we could check helmet clearance around the cage as well as seat position and how the belts will mount. Sorry I didn't get a shot of him in the car. The cockpit is fairly empty. There will be an accelerator pedal, a lever for the rear brakes, the steering wheel and only the bare essential switchgear. The car will have Motec management but may only run a shift light and a single "trouble" light for everything else. As with everything else it is subject to change. I walked in last week and didn't notice straight away that the seat was gone.

Here's the canopy and cockpit looking forward.

and another from the side where you can see the CO2 bottle (the small one) and the air supply (the taller bottle in front of it). The driver will get an air supply from the bottle during his run. This is the same as the Jag that my mate Gaz is building up. The canopy is raised and lowered pneumatically and there is a panel in the bottom right of this photo that has an air inlet that pumps up the airtank up front.

This is an old photo before we moved the tank. It is now on the other side opposite the switch panel pictured. The two black tanks are the extinguishers and the air rams are visible here as well. Where the air tank was will be a ballast tank on either side. The switch panel has an air inlet, canopy switch, radio connection for on the start line, an air tank purge and some 240V connectors. When the car is on the trailer it will be plugged in to a generator to keep the batteries charged up.

One last photo:

The mocked up front end. The car will run suspension but with minimal travel.

That's all for now. More next week.

Lynchy
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Time for another update, I missed a week as Trevor was away and then missed another week as my boss was in town. There's been a bit going on in my absence though and I've got some more photo's to share.

First of all, the boss, and some of the team:

Trevor is on the right with the drill and Phil is the handsome one to the left with the can of CRC. The disembodied hand holding the air line is Richard. What are they doing........ Phil needed to cut holes in the exhaust for the blow off valves to feed into but the drill was not quite up to cutting through stainless and started to smoke. Richard is blowing the air line into the drill's motor to cool it while Trevor is drilling and Phil is squirting lube onto the holesaw. End result - new drill required.

Here's David Leikvold - master template maker and a perfectionist with a grinder!! Dave loves his job as a public servant, if you see him down the salt you should ask him about it! No. really!!! He loves talking about it.

Here's the end result of Phil's work with the TIG:

Phil is an artist with the TIG and scratch built the headers and the whole exhaust system. He will also be building up the motor & driveline + putting the Motec together and tuning the whole lot. He loves it when people ask him lots of questions, so don't be afraid. You can also see the radiator in the bottom of the photo under the BOV. I think Trevor got this from Norm Hardinge - I'll have to check. The car has two water tubes up front that contain coolant. These feed into a pump that feeds it through the motor and radiator. Air will be ducted under the radiator and will blow out the rear of the car where the exhaust exits.

Here's a rear view of the exhaust tube:

It's 5" in diameter and about 2.5 metres long.

Two more pictures - the front end:

It's a 4 link setup with triangulated bottom bars (which you can just see in the last pic under the shock and next to the tyre. This also holds the steering rack. The upper shock mount is also a jacking point. The front comes off the car, a bar is slipped into the tube and the car is jacked from there. The rear is similar.

There are remote gas reservoirs which also have adjusters on them. There should be 1 - 1.5 inches of travel.

I don't have a decent shot of the rear suspension but will take one next time.

Richard has been busy with the cockpit. The tub has been taken out and a Kirke ally seat has been fitted. The headrest has been cut off for now so that the belts can go over Trevor's shoulders and the Hans device. A headrest will be fitted a little higher later. Richard has been fitting up the seat belt mounts which is an awkward sort of job as it is tight. The belts are 7 point.

That's all for now. More after next build night.

Lynchy
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Now that's a project :lol:
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Trevor : DLRA 136

Post by Trevor : DLRA 136 »

Yep, twenty years of planning and approx four years of building. Sometimes I wish I had not started, but then I just slap myself, sit in it and the thought goes away.
Trevor :D
Trev. DLRA 136
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

yer , that's the thing Trevor..these projects take along time to even get on the drawing board and then "evolve" with time once the 1st pice of metal is cut and the engine is selected....time is a killer
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Dr Goggles

lag

Post by Dr Goggles »

gazza414 wrote:yer , that's the thing Trevor..these projects take along time to even get on the drawing board and then "evolve" with time once the 1st pice of metal is cut and the engine is selected....time is a killer

doesn't look like you've wasted any of it though Trev , top effort .
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Yes! :D , another build thread, thanks for sharing, I'd love to see more of this kind of thing, helps with everyones motivation given the lack of racing!

I know it's extra work, but please keep up the postings!

Thank you 8)
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Some more progress piccies. Trevor's car is great to work on as it is so dynamic. Every Tuesday we show up for "Build Night" and he's done something else to it during the week. This week it was the intake:

It's not complete at this stage but you get the idea. The intake will have a short tube section attached and a bellmouth at the front. Where it connects at the flat sheet, there will be a rubber gasket and another sheet on the top tube.

Here's a photo of the rear suspension (the one I couldn't find last update):

There will be a bracket made that bolts to the diff that then has a rod linking up to the pivot. I also took some better shots of the front end:

Before I yet again pulled it apart:

and Trevor then tells me that it will have to go back together again as there is some more to be done before I pull it apart again. Guess who is now the front end expert......?

Some more work happened on the cockpit:

The seatbelt mounts are tacked in awaiting Phil on the TIG. The seat is in and the headrest chopped off, another headrest will be made up later. There is also an added section to the front of the seat to strengthen it and sit under the legs. Some ally panels will sheet the cockpit sides. Looking forward Trevor has made up an accelerator pedal with a boot loop and a footrest will go on the other side. The semi circular bracket with the hole in it it on the left is a mount for the Motec dash. Trevor won't be able to see this when the canopy is down but it is there for the crew to see when the car is started. The reason for it being outside is that it would be too hard to read at speed and possibly a distraction.

Here's Richard the 1st. You could just see his hand in the last update. Here's how the rest of him looks:

and this is what he is working on, the oil pump for the diff, that's Richard the 2nd with his head cut off:

One last photo - the foxtail - and the back of Richard the 2nds head:

Lynchy

Another update

Post by Lynchy »

Build night was last night and more has happened:

The foxtail is gone and a fin has grown in it's place.

Regular readers will know that the front end has been in and out quite a few times already, so guess what? It's back in again while the steering linkage is worked out.

These photos show it being mocked up and lengths of shafts being worked out. Richard I is doing this job.

I got to make up a new maintenance panel on the side of the car:

The panel currently has an air purge (the red buttoned valve) the 12V isolation switch (there will be another one in series in the cockpit), an air line connector (to pump up the red tank in the background - the air tank is for the clutch + the pneumatically opened cockpit), a switch to open/close the cockpit (there will be another one in the cockpit for the driver to operate) and two holes where some electrical connectors go. The electrical connectors are for an engine oil preheater and a battery charger.

Once the panel was put in place the pneumatics got reconnected and tested. So we opened and closed the canopy a few times - very cool to watch!

Here you can see the remote reservoir for the brake booster and some of the extinguisher nozzles that will be put in next week.

Richard II was busy welding in lockdown points for the engine cover so that it is screwed down tight for each run. He's been pretty busy on the MIG ever since he started.

Dave got to build a cover for the switch box that will go into the cockpit + screw down the accelerator pedal.

Trevor has also kicked off a website for the car at

www.slaughtermotorsport.com

It is still being put together at the moment but is coming along bit by bit. It has a nice rendering of what the car should look like when finished.

More next week - sorry about the photo quality, they are from my mobile, I keep forgetting to take my camera.....