Moderator: DLRA

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Fantastic effort guys! I cant wait to see the car run in 2009
GH
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Fantastic effort guys! I cant wait to see the car run in 2009

I think we'd like to see any car run in 2009!!!!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Trevor's been busy.....

He's put a skin on the fin.....one side of it anyway.

You may notice the antenna on the leading edge at the top, this is for the UHF radio in the car. There's stuff happening all the time, the clock is ticking.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

umm but where,s the FOXTAIL . most important .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Don

You can just see the foxtail to the far left of the bar. It's just resting up. I'm sure Trevor has made up a special bracket for it to hang off the back of the car somewhere.

Lynchy
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Dont know if you have noticed , but in my back room of "TREASURES" at the workshop , I have 2 X FOXTAILS attached to 2 X complete Foxskins . Do I win and will I go faster ???? I spent a fair few yrs in Newcastle and those that know " the Newcastle Song " are aware that twin overhead foxtails were the hot thang :? :? :?
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Anyway there was this mob of blokes
driving down Hunter Street
in the front seat of the hot FJ
with chrome plated grease nipples
and twin overhead foxtails,
and the coolest of them all,
who got to sit near the window,
was young Norm.

Great song.......no, really! I always preferred Ol 55 and "on the prowl" sort of about cruising in the car. Another favourite was Mental as Anything - Looking for bird

"Bought a Hemi Pacer built in '74
It's got bananas in the gearbox
rust in every door

Reconditioned automission
drinks a gallon every mile
It looks good from a distance
but it's got a rusted dial

Cruisin' in third lookin' for Bird
Cruisin in third lookin' for Bird
He'll drive you up the wall or any other place"

There will be no mention of Deep Purple - Highway Star as it is a cursed song and should not be listened to in the car......

Yep - so much time, so little to do...................
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Lynchy,Chrome nipples will beat foxtails anyday!Oooh said Don,who was the uncoolest of the bunch,following the FJ on his bicycle (With his dynamo powered head light , and uncool short hair!)Oooh said Don!!
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

VERY VERY, NICE Trevor,
well its been along time since we sat in your adelaide office wondering if the drags will ever run here again.
I'm hangin to get out to the salt just to watch again, will be good to catch up again ... did i mention very very nice build mate.
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Trevor : DLRA 136

Gedday Dave

Post by Trevor : DLRA 136 »

Thanks Dave. It will be nice to catch up and have a cold drink. Good to hear from you. :D
Trev. DLRA 136
Lynchy

Buld Night 16/09/08

Post by Lynchy »

Build Night Update for 16/9/08

Still lots going on and a few (poor quality) photos to enjoy. I kicked off last night by putting together a box that houses a step down transformer and a battery charger. The box was an old UPS battery box I had lying around. I put a handle on top and mounted the other bits inside. This just tidies up these bits for when we are in the pits and transporting the car up to the line. The step down tranny converts 240v to 110v and is used to power the engine oil warmer and the battery charger is to keep the batteries charged up. In the pits the box will be connected as necessary and will sit on the trailer plugged up to a generator when we take the car up to the startline.

Phil welded up the steering uni’s and connectors. The photo make the shaft look askew but I’m sure it was just the angle of the photo. Phil also welded up the ally in the canopy, the parachute levers, the seat belt brackets and seat brace and a bunch of other things.

Later on I made up a brace to sit behind the seat as a support and cut down the top of the seat as it would have rubbed on the belts. I think I had it in and out about 10 times – I’m still not finished either! The brace had to be put a bit higher than planned due to the brake booster. You can just see it on the left side of the seat.

The photo above shows the steering column as it is now mounted and the stick holding up the canopy + Dave’s backside! Trevor tells us that the canopy may go off this week to be skinned. Hope so!

Another photo towards the rear:

With Phil deep in thought about how the intercooler is going to sit. Yes the foxtail is back in position…..

Dave was busy making up blanking plates for the parachute launch tubes as well as creating a new dash for inside the car. He also did a bit more work on the switch panel for the driver. The dash inside will just have indicator lights showing what gear the car is in, a shift light and a “trouble” light. There will be no gauges for Trevor to read as he feels that they will be hard to read and a distraction. Any time the Trouble light goes on he will need to shutdown. It is used to indicate any problem anywhere in the car.

Here’s the intercooler:

Phil was working out the ends and fittings needed as well as how it would best sit in the car. As mentioned earlier NACA ducts will feed air to it from the side of the car.

Richard the 2nd was busy making up the shock absorber link mounts for the diff. Difficult job due to the placement of bolts on the diff and slight irregularities with the casting from side to side.

I’m off for the next two weeks. Trevor has granted me leave to go on holidays even though I’m going to Sydney to do some work on Gaz’s Jag. So I may not have any updates unless Trev sends me some photos or the other guys post some notes. I will do an update on the Jag though.

Don’t forget - www.slaughtermotorsport.com.au
Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Aaaw Lynchy, I was just getting used to the regular Wednesday update, and Trevor goes and lets you have leave!

Aah well, I guess an update on the Jag will be just as welcome!

Oh and that link didn't work when I just tried it? :?

Try this? http://slaughtermotorsport.com/
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

What the?

It's changed? and I wasn't told? What's going on Trevor?

Don't worry about updates, I'm sure Trevor or one of the guys will email me some pictures.
David Leikvold

progress

Post by David Leikvold »

As Paul has already mentioned there's been a lot done recently. For the last two weeks I've been making fiddly bits, the sort of things that finish off a big job so we can move onto the next job.
Trevor has put a lot of effort into getting the canopy to go up and down smoothly and consistently, which it now does. You can see in Paul's previous photos it is powered by two air rams.
Next week I hope to finish off the firewall, we had left the middle panel open so Phil could weld in the lap belt anchorages. That's done now, so once the centre firewall is in place I can concentrate on the filler panels to join all three pieces together. The reason it is like this is because the bare chassis was done first and is very complicated there so a one piece firewall was impossible.
The parachute tubes are back out again but with the 80mm drogue chute tubes now welded it can all go back in again once we finalise the mounts. At the moment I have made mounting brackets in plywood. The four tubes are 2 x 80mm x 32" aluminium drogues and 2 x 160mm x 48" plastic tube mains. We still have to decide on cable runs and mounts so the final mounts could be very different. Whatever works consistently gets the job. More next week, can't promise any photos unless I can get them to Paul!
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Trevor : DLRA 136

Web update

Post by Trevor : DLRA 136 »

Howdee every body.
Just a quick note to tell you that the front page of the web site is now done and up. We are still working on the content pages which should be finished soon.
Site address : www.slaughtermotorsport.com

Thank you every body for showing interest.

Best regards,
Trevor
Trev. DLRA 136