Bonneville 2011

Go here to find out what's happening in the rest of the world

Moderator: DLRA

Dr Goggles

Re: Bonneville 2011

Post by Dr Goggles »

momec3 wrote:Did a landing at Melb on Qantas about a month back. Landing from the south and I was watching the buses on the Tulla freeway beside me and could see the faces on the people in the buses.
The plane then hangs the tail down real low and I thought this is odd, obviously trying to scrub off speed like a bird landing

Then it drops suddenly and what seemed like a long way considering our altitude. Similtaniously the pilot points the nose in the air and hits the gas and heads nearly straight up. Could of heard a pin drop and everyone was holding their breath. Then the pilot comes on and says we suffered wind shear.
We eventually landed after a third attempt and the pilot shook ever passengers hand as we got off.

Chris
Got on a 18 seater at Auckland flying to the top end of the north island....pilot said "there's some storms around, we'll have an extra 25 minutes flight time"....It was caning down as we got on the plane and it was like you could feel the extra force of the rain as the plane took off....it was rough the whole way in every direction, up ,down, sideways....I checked the time figuring we must have been nearly there, and sure enough it was about 5 minutes short of the ETA, "we're just over the KeriKeri airport now" .....I look out the window and see the strip lights as we go into a bank......then everything went weightless for maybe four or five seconds followed by what felt like 2 or maybe 3 g.....everyone on board was very very quiet. We caught a cab out to the airport the next morning to collect a hire car...the guy at the counter said "when did you come in?" ......"On the nine o'clock flight last night"......he said , almost under his breath without looking at us..."I heard it was an interesting flight ".......

Landed at Berlin on Ryan Air once, we bounced a really ,really long way after hitting heavier than I've ever felt....as we got off I said to the hostie" did we land or did we crash?" they didn't even respond, I think they were just as freaked as us .
Last edited by Dr Goggles on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec3

Post by momec3 »

An old rule Doc.
Ever flight you walk away from is a good one.

Chris
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

hay fellas enough of the scarie stories, this threads ment to get blokes to throw their bikes in a box, then jump in a aluminium tube with holes in it and fly over the largest ocean in the world :wink: :D ,, reminds me, in 08 was on the camel plane from SanFran to Salt Lake, over SLC we chucked a big leftie, the thing was banked over so far i couldnt see the horizion, and we seemed to be slowing real fast, pilot levelled her out, then started banking at a more sane angle, :roll:
G`day Bones, yeah mate all ready to rock an roll, bike goes to Melbourne next week, im flying out of Sydney Saturday 20th August direct to SanFran, all booked, gunna hire a Cargo Van in Millbrae 8) ,,,,,

efffing lenyard was the problem with the bike, i recon it was the same problem at 0-10 Gairdner, when it didnt want to play above 8800rpm :? ,,

this been ready so earlie sucks,, instead of "are we there yet", its "can i go and play now ?" :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
BONES

Post by BONES »

Good to see someones ready
Well, only got an engine to build (single cyl 2 stroke and everything is off the shelf) and about a month's worth of fiberglass
I WILL BE READY
cheers Bones
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

well mate, ya`ll build the single twosmoke motor in an hour, an the weather`s good for glassin :mrgreen:
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Maybe up your way the weather is good but down here it will not cure without a heater in the room :evil: .. Maybe i should bring my workshop north for the winter 8)
I'm hoping to get the cropping finished in the next 2 weeks so i can start working on the bike,
new cams,new electrics, new wheel and modify the fairings to be AMA and SCTA interchangable with a few removable panels ... couple'a days :lol:
penny

Re: Bonneville 2011/ vegas

Post by penny »

anyone who will be in vegas in the days preceding speedweek, ie 9, 10,11 august lets get together for a few brews .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

How many are going to watch Speedweek ?
We will not be in the US untill the 20th , our first meet being on the 27th
If my phone account has not been closed my number will be 1 925 978 7692 for anyone wanting to catch up while over there
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm hopeful but 50/50 at the moment Greg.

I'll be travelling alone so if you need a hand, assuming I make it, yell.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

I am taking the laptop to Bonneville this trip, with the idea of keeping you all informed with posts and photos on how us bikers go at BUB`s and WOS, and also Richard Assens effotts at the Shootout, 8) ,, ok, im not a computer geek,, what is the best thing to do :?: , im with Telstra, do i just get hooked up with Global Roaming, or do i sign up with a provider (is that what you call them) once im in the States :?: ,,,

Ummm Paul, leave a beer on tab at that little pub on the corner mate, ya cant miss it, its the only one in town :mrgreen: , ill have it a fortnight later :lol: , planing to overnight in Vegas Wendesday24th or Thursday25th, :D
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Staytie

Don't do Global Roaming mate, it will cost you more than the trip! Better to get a SIM over there with a data allowance on it.

Lynchy
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Like Lynchy says, DO NOT USE GLOBAL ROAMING!!

My daughters boyfriend had it on for a recent trip to New Zealand. A $900 bill soon took the gloss off.
The shitty part was when he rang his phone carrier to complain, they actually said that it was noted that his account was high at $300 but they did not contact him until it got to $900. A couple of phone calls when he got back to Oz and he ended up only having to pay the $300.

If you have a smart phone, turn off your internet conection and all your apps (facebook, any games), as these can have automatic updates and your clocking up a sizeable bill without ever knowing it.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Rob

Post by Rob »

You can buy cheapy prepaid mobiles in the US and pick a plan to suit yourself.

Likewise for the internet though if you're staying at a hotel, wireless internet is usually (if not always these days) included..

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

yeah thanks fellas,,, wont be using Global Roaming :shock: ,, i always stay at the Motel 6 and thay dont have wireless internet there (in the past),, me thinks that i`ll go with the SIM , data allowence deal :? , if i go this way, do i still have access to my favourites etc :?:,,, dont have one of those flash new type mobiles, but from past experience texting is the way to go, much cheaper :)
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Ronnie Motel 6 is booked out , Forwarded you on our booking details at Best Western and Bonneville inn