https://vimeo.com/217999383?ref=fb-share

Pete :D
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Stayt`ie

Re: Ack Attack in Bolivia

Post by Stayt`ie »

We will see :roll: , Altitude sickness may be worry for machines and riders :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Good luck with an atmo motor. 12500ft is serious altitude. Kosciuszko is only 7300ft. Be very interesting though with blown motors.
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

A stage of the Dakar was on the Salar De Uyuni last year (I think),, it would be interesting to hear comments from na and blown teams on how the altitude affected them,,
Bonneville at 4200feet requires about 2 points extra of compression to give similar hp in a na motor at sea level,,
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Here is some specs on Ack Attack for anyone not familiar with this Motorcycle Streamliner

"About The Top 1 Ack Attack — World's Fastest Motorcycle

Nickname: World's Fastest Motorcycle
Driver: Rocky Robinson
Nationality: American
Engine: Dual 1300cc Suzuki Hayabusa Sport Bike with Garret turbo charger w/ 35 pounds of boost
Displacement: 2,598 cc
Horsepower: 1000"

Source: http://top1ackattack.com/

DLRA #866
penny

Post by penny »

When target 550 was planning on going to race , two of the crew had to get a doctors clearance to attend because of the alltitude
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
harky

Post by harky »

i've been to altitude a few times ( 6500 m being the highest ) ( we walked to the North advanced base camp of Everest )
12500f= 3800 M to do any physical work requires very careful acclimatisation , and not everyone copes , even the fitness level does not always help , the real problem for most is thinking clearly and being rational .
3800 is serious height for sea dwellers. let alone the engine performance .

Am i right in thinking that " thin air " will be better for outright speed ? (. it's not really thin air it's less atmospheric pressure )

Toby Price spends a lot of time getting acclimatised , ---- ( he has to do real physical work )

headaches, loss of appetite, lethargic , poor mental processing

i suffered from all the above over 3500 m ------ my wife had non of these symptoms and thrived even @. 6500m

altitude is a very interesting thing for people ---- let alone engine performance
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Yes Harky, the air resistance is not as thick, which makes it easier to push thru, however the trade off is suckin enough in to push it thru :wink:

At Gairdner air weighs on average .071 (14.7psi) pounds per cubic foot, at Bonneville its .064 (12+ psi), so quick calcs say at 12000feet .03-.04 half the weight at sea level :roll:

At Bonneville with a na motor there is an 8 to 10 mph difference at 200mph,,
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

It will be a very different experience, but I would be surprised if the Ack Attack Team and Mike Cook has not taken Altitude into consideration .....

The other thing is, I understand Ack Attack are based in Northern California and that part of the world has lots of High Altitude locations above 12,500 feet ....

In Australia the Highest place we have is 2,228 metres (7,310 ft) above sea level, whereas there are a number of Towns in California around that height ... So access to acclimatisation is "local" .......

All I know is that when I went to the end of the Road leading to Charlotte Pass looking up toward Mt Kosciuszko it was Bloody Freezing and it was Summer :D

Pete :)

DLRA #866
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Yup Pete, Ack is based in San Jose,, Mikes business is aircraft related, and knowing him he would have had the best advice on how to get the most from a turbo at that altitude,, wouldn't like to be standing next to it when it started, would suck all the oxygen from a mile around :lol: :lol: :lol:

As Harkey said, altitude affects everyone differently,, at Bonnevilles 4200feet I feel a little light headed and don't recon I could handle 12000+ for very long,, it would take some time to become a-climate-tised (spelling lol),,
ACK

Post by ACK »

Hi Stayt'ie

Yes many things to consider. After another bad year at Bonneville we were planing to run in Australia at the D L R A meet. After watching George Poteet spit one turbo wheel after another out the exhaust one concern I had about Bolivia was the turbo charger if it spins at 100K at sea level for each 1000 meters of altitude you need to spin it 7% faster to make the same boost so at 12,000 it would be spinning 128,000. At the SEMA show in November the Garret folks took an interest in it and said the turbo we had should work but it was near the edge of its limits. They designed a turbo foe us with fully machined wheels that will make 30 lbs boost and more at 12,000 feet reliably.

It began looking like Bolivia might be doable. Shortly afterword I spoke to Jack Costella who had attended the small Uyuni 3600 event in October. Jack was blown away by the salt and said it was absolutely hard,smooth,meters thick and ran for 100 miles in each direction. Jack is 82 years old and flew direct from Miami to LaPaz then Uyuni and suffered no altitude effects same with Mike Cook and 3 others we sent in March they had no problem with the altitude some people are affected difrently. The holel has oxygen, we have oxygen, the ambulance has oxygen and the fire crew has oxygen if anyone needs it.

Because of the altitude we will have 8% less drag than Bonneville and just having returned from the wind tunnel if we run with the doors on that is another 10% drag reduction for a total of 19% reduction. In 2010 at Bonneville with two trashed motors that had no 5th and 6th gear a five mile run up to the timing lights we actually exceeded 400 mph at the very end of the timed mile before Rocky shut off. With 19% less drag a ten mile run up and much more power than we had at Bonneville, you can do the math, the potential looks pretty scary, if we just don't run out of gas.

Here is some,more information

http://top1ackattack.com/

http://motorsportsnewswire.com/2017/05/ ... -05181715/

This is the headquarters hotel http://www.palaciodesal.com.bo/
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

G'day Mike,

I'm also hopeing that with 10miles run up your gas tank is big enough, and we see the record moved to over 400mph 8)

Those are interesting figgers on what is required to have the turbocharger "work" at that altitude, thankyou,,

A huge undertaking,, Wishing you, Rocky and the Top 1 team along with Al, Ralph and Jim fast safe runs :D
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Well Bolivia is run and done ......

From Scott Horner's FB page reports I have read

Ack Attack's Equipment did not arrive on time so the Team's running was cut short and they ran out of time to achieve the Magic 400mph

A few Gremlins and some Turbo Plumbing issues got in the way .... They reached 378mph before the Timers so it sounds like the speed was there ...

The other Bikes at the Meet did set some memorable Records ....

Nick Genet nitrous assisted Aprilia RSV4 reset the naked (unfaired) FIM World record going 192 mph (pending ratification). This record was previously held by the late Andy Sills. Erin Sills was there to see it and Nick apparently went straight to Erin after the run.

The other two Bikes, both Turbo 1000cc, of Al Lamb's Honda and Ralph Hudson's Suzuki went hard and both ran some Jaw Dropping Speeds ......

Al Lamb started the 1000cc Show upping his 265 Record to 266mph .....

Initially Ralph had some of the dreaded Electrical Salt Gremlins but with some help from a few others, including Greg Watters, he sorted it out and he started with another 266 mph just short of Al Lamb's average ....

Then Al Lamb was up again and he went faster again ..... How about 285 mph!!!! :shock:

Ralph Hudson ran next and was also going fast, with a 281 mph .....

So two 1000cc Bikes in the 280's ...

Al's return was into a slight headwind and ended up going 274 for a 281mph average!!!!

Then Ralph had his return run .....

as Scott reports "Sit down for this one.. 289 mph kilo, 287 mph mile for a 284 mile average!!!!!!!! :shock: 8) :shock:

So the Sit On Salt Record has taken a big step Forward .....

DLRA #866