World Speed Trials Australia

Go here to find out what's happening in the rest of the world

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

World Speed Trials Australia

Post by DLRA »

The DLRA are very excited to announce an 3 day FIM regulated event to be held directly after Speed Week 2018.
For more information go to www.worldspeedtrials.com
The DLRA also has more information at www.dlra.org.au/2018world-record.htm

Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Re: World Speed Trials Australia

Post by Stayt`ie »

ok, if anyone out there is having trouble, trying to make sense of the FIM's class/record structure, shot me an email at ronniestayt@bigpond.com,, I have a cuppla these records hanging on the wall and am fully conversant with whats required :D

yup, thay are not cheap and easy, but, once you get one you soon realize that you earned a legit "World Record" 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Has the club been asked to assist in the prep, or running of this event ?
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

For those that have jumped through all the hurdles could you in point form list all the procedures that one has to do to enter , I have read through the information above and seem to have trouble finding any reference to speed trials on either Motorcycling Australia or the FIM ...do you need to obtain both an Australian competition licence and an FIM licence? what are the costs of this ?...Medical whats the go here ? can you race at 60+ how strict are they on this medical test?, besides the $1350 entry fee what other costs are involved ?.... not much time before entries close how long does it all take to be sure you are registered?...sorry for all the questions ... I understand the classes at least.
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

ok Garry, was just about to reply to your email, but will do my best to help here,,

From my understanding Ruedi is still getting the competitors entrie/paperwork together, and I guess all will be explained then,,

For now, you will have to join a Motorcycle Australia affilated club, then you have to join Motorcycle NSW(or whichever State ya from), then apply for a FIM licence $50+?? thru MA,, FIM require a "full" medical if you are over 50yo, obtain insurance A.O.N @ $650+??,, be prepared to not get much change from $1000 from all of this,, The $1300++ quoted is for entrie only :)
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Have received a few emails regarding classes,, Here is the basic class structure:-

There are only three Groups 1. Non Faired,, 2. Faired,, 3. Streamliners,,
There is Non Blown, and Blown,,
There is no distinction between Production, Modified and Special Construction,,
There is no Gasoline/Fuel distinction,,
FIM recognizes different cylinder numbers, that is, single = 1, double = 2, multi = 3+
cc sizes, 50, 50-85,100,125,175,250,350,500,650,750,1000,1350,1650,2000,3000,,

will post the rules pertaining to non faired and faired later, :D ,
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Ok so far have applied to join an affiliated club MA NSW on waiting list many don't take competition memberships until next year will have to ring around,will they accept fossils? costs between $25 to 55 ....Joining MA NSW ??? national competition licence road racing quoted $365 per year, is FIM licence a seperate / other lisence to a national one ????.........What is a "full" medical??? ..... where does one get racing insurance from???? what is O.A.N....last time I was in a racing club was way back late 70's

I have worked out the class im in 1.A1.A2.3. 1000 which should be Division A ( non streamlined), category 1, group A1, type 2 ( turbocharged) , 3 ( multi cylinder) 1000cc ....only problem is Eve Schultz has the record for that :(
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

gennyshovel wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:22 pm Has the club been asked to assist in the prep, or running of this event ?
I was approached by Ruedi Steck from Switzerland about the DLRA running an event a couple of months ago.
Ruedi came out to Speed Week this year, so has seen the place for himself.
I put it to the committee who approved.
We then worked out the best time to have such an event and I contacted all the key DLRA people to confirm they could do it.
So our Medical, Fire and Rescue and Timing and other officials are all working on the event.
I then gave Ruedi a figure for the DLRA to put on the event and had a contract drawn up by a lawyer.
This contract was signed by Ruedi a couple of weeks ago.
The event is a joint, shared arrangement, Ruedi will be processing the entries and I'm concentrating on the production of the event.
The last piece of the puzzle is the FIM entry form which we have been working on for the last couple of weeks.
I would have liked to have had the entry form available for the announcement, but I think that it's better to let people know that the event is happening because time is getting away from us. Especially for those international entries who will probably have to have their containers on the water in December.
At least entrants can now make application for their FIM license (which will take some time to prepare and then get processed) and prepare their vehicles for the event.

We have already had expressions of interest from most of the people you would expect to be at an event like this.

Check Hawkwind's post to answer some of the other questions
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

hawkwind wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm Ok so far have applied to join an affiliated club MA NSW on waiting list many don't take competition memberships until next year will have to ring around,will they accept fossils? costs between $25 to 55 ....Joining MA NSW ??? national competition licence road racing quoted $365 per year, is FIM licence a seperate / other lisence to a national one ????.........What is a "full" medical??? ..... where does one get racing insurance from???? what is O.A.N....last time I was in a racing club was way back late 70's

I have worked out the class im in 1.A1.A2.3. 1000 which should be Division A ( non streamlined), category 1, group A1, type 2 ( turbocharged) , 3 ( multi cylinder) 1000cc ....only problem is Eve Schultz has the record for that :(
Go to the DLRA link at the top of page, all answers to your questions are there,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Gary, hopefully I can answer some of your and other peoples questions here.
Most of the information is contained on the Advice to Entrants page.

Firstly have you download and READ the 2017 FIM World Records Regulations?

Have you downloaded and printed the checklist?

Have you downloaded the FIM License Application Form?
Yes you need to have a MA National Licence as well through a SCB-
NSW - you become a member here
QLD - Get a License
SA - Get a License
TAS - New Member Login
VIC - Get a License
WA - Purchase a one event license
NT - New Member Login
All Licences for MA or State Controlling Body (SCB)permitted events are processed by the SCB Offices, not by Motorcycling Australia.
Here's a list of SCB's
If you are obtaining this licence for the first time you will need to complete the First Time Licence Test.
Read this for more information about FIM licences

See section on Road Racing on the FIM License Application and you will find at the very bottom FIM World Record Attempts - ($102 for a one event license)
Plus attached to the FIM License Application is the medical history and medical examination forms that you need to complete and extra details for over 55 years

"AON" is the insurance company that they use, here's the form to apply - AON FIM Insurance Form ($365)
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Regards costs, here one more for you to think about. Once you have broken a record you have to apply and pay a fee to FIM to have it ratified.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

DLRA wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 pm Regards costs, here one more for you to think about. Once you have broken a record you have to apply and pay a fee to FIM to have it ratified.
From memory, in 2013 that fee was $300+,,
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Ok progressing on the licence requirements and the medical now some tech questions ,after reading the rules 1. are folding foot pegs mandatory for all bikes? 2. Is there any allowance for just going over the capacity limit eg. going to 2nd oversize rings for bore wear places capacity several cc's over the limit or is it strictly at the limit and no allowances even if very small? 3. if the turbo charger is in front of the engine does that count for adequate protection for the rider? 4. are methanol or nitro fuels allowed?
Costs so far for anyone contemplating this FIM event, cost to join an affiliated MA NSW road racing club $26 national MA licence $365

DLRA some of those links are dead come up with a 404 error
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

hawkwind wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:12 pm Ok progressing on the licence requirements and the medical now some tech questions ,after reading the rules 1. are folding foot pegs mandatory for all bikes? 2. Is there any allowance for just going over the capacity limit eg. going to 2nd oversize rings for bore wear places capacity several cc's over the limit or is it strictly at the limit and no allowances even if very small? 3. if the turbo charger is in front of the engine does that count for adequate protection for the rider? 4. are methanol or nitro fuels allowed?
Costs so far for anyone contemplating this FIM event, cost to join an affiliated MA NSW road racing club $26 national MA licence $365

DLRA some of those links are dead come up with a 404 error
Anyone contemplating running, go to "Technical Appendices for World Records", "PRINT A COPY",,,

Question #1, page 33, 2.9.7 Foot rests, yes, must be folding with return spring,, however if shielded by the bikes bodywork(streamlining) and thay don't come I contact with the ground if the bike is laid over, I read this as, thay may be rigid,,

Question#2, page 27, 2.2.1 Must be within class cc nominated, takeing into consideration the last paragraph (hot/cold),,

Question #3, page 32, 2.9.3 Turbos mounted low out front of the engine I would suggest don't need protective coverage, however, those mounted out front and high, or in behind the head would need protective coverage,,

Question #4, page 35, 2.10.1 Yes,, there is no class distinction between fuels,,

Don't take my word as gospel, its up to the scrut on the day, it may pay to keep in mind that this is the first LandSpeed event that MA has been involved with, and as such the scruts may be a little inexpericenced(over ptotective) and enforce the rules to the letter as thay see it,, I'm making the above comments based on what I have seen at previous FIM events, and will not act as a referee if rules are bought into question on the salt,,,
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Thanks Ronnie/ DLRA for your assistance much appreciated :) next is to get through the medical