Cook’s Top 1 Oil, 2018 Land Speed Shootout 2018

Go here to find out what's happening in the rest of the world

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Cook’s Top 1 Oil, 2018 Land Speed Shootout 2018

Post by DLRA »

Cook’s Top 1 Oil, 2018 Land Speed Shootout on the international Top of the World
July 10-17, 2018

All details at: http://landspeedevents.com/blog/cooks-t ... -shootout/
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Re: Cook’s Top 1 Oil, 2018 Land Speed Shootout 2018

Post by Stayt`ie »

Question to Greg (Watters),, can you give us a rundown on costs involved as a "spectator" to attend this event :?: also any hints and tips ? :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Ronnie there is so much different there to anything i have experianced i am not sure i can do it justice
Exchange rate is good, the Aussie $ goes a long way in most of Bolivia, the lake is different , its geared around the tourist trade and Dakkar and more expensive
Its a little more expensive to fly there than to the US , i had a 16 hr layover in Chile and stayed in the airport, should have paid for a temporary visa and seen something of the place, airport was typically expensive
Looks like the lakeside motels have gotten realistic in there prices this year $60 US/nite is so much better than the $175 from last year , to be fair that included brekky, dinner and simple lunch on the lake

Its cold overnight and early morning , if you look at the max and mins, there from the airport and will read like -2 to 15 and not the same as out on the lake , expect -12c to 10c, the water feature at the motel was frozen the whole time we were there

Altitude sickness is not nice , expect nausea, headache, lethargy for at least 3 days , Ronnie i was not kidding when i mentioned Perisher for a few days at about a week before Bolivia It will help , there is Diamox , taken a day at least before going up and for several days after helps a lot ,
During the first 3 days water is good, alcohol bad
You will need Yellow fever shots,
you will be above the Malaria zone, but if you intend touring through lower altitudes get the pills
Hep A and B too,
Travel doctor will advise a range of anti diarrhea pills for both viral and bacterial, DONT drink the water , that includes ice cubes
also dont put the used toilet paper in the loo, it goes in the bin next to the loo , there systems cant cope with the paper , i think we blocked a large section of the first nights motel
Start Spanish lessons
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Thanks Greg,, when I was talking with Jim, got the feeling it wasent just a walk in the park,,

Bonneville at just over 4000' knocked me a bit, although seem to be ok with it now,, Sala de Uyuni at 12000' uummmm, guess its "you will never know if ya never go" situation :? :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
harky

Post by harky »

ronnie
greg s altitude advise is spot on
loss of appetite is common , and after a few days can leave you very energy depleated
we take a very portable ultra violet light water purification unit , poke the unit in a litre bottle of water for a minute and means water is drinkable
some gyms have altitude chambers , any time spent in them may be useful
drinking a lot is essential ( water )
we have walked @6500 metres ( 2100 feet) , and the effect is hard to explain
up side is ,after you come down to sea level you feel supercharged for a few weeks ——— that’s the only up side
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000