STEVE FOSSETT TO ATTACK LAND SPEED RECORD 2007 Target 800mph

Go here to find out what's happening in the rest of the world

Moderator: DLRA

colbourne

STEVE FOSSETT TO ATTACK LAND SPEED RECORD 2007 Target 800mph

Post by colbourne »

http://www.stevefossett.com/

The target for Fossett’s newest challenge is, of course, the current record of 763 mph set in 1997 by Britain's Andy Green driving the twin-turbojet powered Thrust SSC.

Fossett’s dart-like vehicle is 47 feet long and weighs 9,000 lbs – looking much like a single-seat jet fighter without its wings. Power is from a single, after-burning J-79 turbojet developing 22,650 lbs of thrust (45,200 hp) formerly fitted to a USAF F-4 Phantom fighter-bomber. The car was originally designed and built by five-time land speed record-holder Craig Breedlove for an unsuccessful 1996/97 LSR campaign, and is currently undergoing chassis modifications and aerodynamic development under Fossett's team, led by project director and aerodynamicist Eric Ahlstrom.

The Reno, Nevada-based program will see the car ready for the 2007 LSR season, with record attempts planned on a Nevada dry lake next July through October.
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

Bah.... If it ain't driving the wheels, it's just a plane that hasn't taken off yet! ;)
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

World's fastest hair dryer perhaps?
fredeuce
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

yer we need some competition around here...200mph cars are just so boring :lol:
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Dr Goggles

Box Stock

Post by Dr Goggles »

gazza414 wrote:yer we need some competition around here...200mph cars are just so boring :lol:

"Cheque-book" stirrer :lol: ...............getcha hands dirty Gaz!

Struth , I think I'm in for it now :shock:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

I'm thinking...Baseball Bat should solve this problem :(
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

I agree with Brootal.

It is a meaningless record ironically for a man obviously trying to buy some meaning in his life.

I would much rather the man set some records at helping others in the world, rather than himself.

It is just so uninspiring... yawn.

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Dr Goggles

Phil Anthropissed

Post by Dr Goggles »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:I would much rather the man set some records at helping others in the world, rather than himself.
It is just so uninspiring... yawn.
rH+

...............come 'round and help me finish the 'tank. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Reverend Hedgash

Why aren't you at work paying for that motor!???
DLRA Member#412
Dr Goggles

Hi Ho

Post by Dr Goggles »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:Why aren't you at work paying for that motor!???

er, what job :shock: um ,yeah .......slight problem there Slumshine.In the short term I'm gonna be on this site bothering people ....and no it wasn't the nurses fault :wink:
Reverend Hedgash

...oh...

Is everybody ok?
DLRA Member#412
Dr Goggles

where the sun don't shine

Post by Dr Goggles »

actually ,I was given an offer I couldn't refuse :wink: If I'm gonna work for a trannie it might as well be one that can dance.. :D
Brootal

Re: where the sun don't shine

Post by Brootal »

Dr Goggles wrote:actually ,I was given an offer I couldn't refuse :wink: If I'm gonna work for a trannie it might as well be one that can dance.. :D

Talk about getting off topic!!! :shock:
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
Dr Goggles

toff opic...( hey I like that one)

Post by Dr Goggles »

Sorry Borry , It's just that it wouldn't seem approp' to have a direct crack at Mr Fossett ( he's a record settin' dude)because short of some catastrophic accident ,if it's possible he'll spend whatever it takes to achieve the record......so I was just sort of you know standing right next to him and pretending to ignore the significance of the event.....

Steve Fosset wrote:
"My objective is to push this record to 800 mph - and beyond. We certainly don't underestimate the challenges involved. Thrust SSC's achievement is very impressive. Stability and balanced aerodynamics will be key. At transonic speeds the forces acting on even a large aircraft are substantial. Imagine those same forces on a relatively small vehicle traveling only inches above the desert floor. We have set out a progressive series of test milestones, and we will gather and evaluate data as we build up speed gradually. We are prepared to carry on beyond 2007 as well."

I read that and at that moment my attention was drawn to a brown paper bag of bat-shit sitting here on the desk.......He thinks he's Jesus but compared to the real greats he's more like Jim Bakker. :wink:
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

Well Doc, Steve Fossett has achieved pretty much every record he set out to achieve. I was particularly interested in his attempt at the gliding absolute altitude record, which he got. You have to wonder though, whether he's driven by a passion for self-improvement or a neurotic need to keep on proving himself? :lol: