Ack Steamliner crashes

Go here to find out what's happening in the rest of the world

Moderator: DLRA

gazza414

Ack Steamliner crashes

Post by gazza414 »

For some us who witnessed seeing Mike's streamliner here a few years ago here in OZ, well I read today that on a return run on the Bonneville salt flats during the BUBS meet yesterday the rider / driver lost control and it pencil rolled at 250mph ++...person is Ok, but machine is wrecked????...heavily damaged. not good news
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

saw some pics of the streamliner on www.landracing.com and it doesnt look all that bad , body panels not the best but it still looks pretty well intact
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Hope all works out well for the team.... there is so much work involved in something like that....lets see what happens when its on a chassis alignment jig.
Very much the apprentice
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

here's a video of the crash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkZjrmX3fzQ
Good to see him get out and walk around after eh !
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

wow, that happened so quickly
Very much the apprentice
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

Isn't that the video of the previous crash?
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

??????????????????????
I didn't realise there were two ?
Maybe is was??
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

Yeh, the attached comment on the clip states
This is the ACK Attack Streamliner. The crash occured during the 2004 BUB Speed Trials on the Bonneville Salt Flats. This was the first time the motorcycle streamliner had been driven at high speed. It crashed in the middle of the timing blocks at a little over 300 mph!!

Still nasty though.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

i watched the return run from the begining of the timed mile, he was a little crossed up`d coming into it, but corrected, then lost it at approx the end of the timed mile,, was talking with rocky a couple of hours later, and thay think that upward air pressure under the parachute tube was taking downforce off the rear tyre causing it to loose traction :?: , thay are going to stick the chassis on a jig and check it out, then build a complete new body (shape) :wink:
worth noteing, three other smaller liners "fell over" during their runs, max lambky`s liner ran all of his passas with the skids down and dennis elected to sit it out,,,, me recons it was just to slippery :roll:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Rocky R

Ack Streamliner Crashes

Post by Rocky R »

Actually, this is the video of the crash...the other was of Jimmy Odom driving for Ack in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y14k0SJOb5o

We feel there were a couple of things that contributed to the crash. First, about a 1/2 mile before the measured mile, I was already over 300mph and felt like we had a shot, seeing as how there was still a mile and a half to accelerate. Then the rear started to fishtail. I rolled off the throttle and it straightened, so I pinned it and tried to drag race through the lights. About a third in, it started fishtailing again, only much worse. I opened the tail doors and got the parachute out at about the same time it went completely sideways. Without the parachute it would have been much worse. You are correct in that we weren't gaining downforce on the rear at speed, but I think the poor salt was the bigger evil.

Mike says he'll have the bike up and running for 2008. Hopefully luck will be on our side...

Cheers,

Rocky Robinson
www.rocky-robinson.com
The last time I raced down under, they had to shoo a kangaroo off the course! Hope to come back someday. Great fun!