Roller for WA rookie team

List Land Speed and Salt Lake items you want to buy here

Moderators: DLRA, WANTED

Gus

Roller for WA rookie team

Post by Gus »

Hi Fellas

Planning on entering for the 2017 speed week, just thought i'd put some feelers out and see if there is anyone who has or knows of a car at a reasonable price to get us going. We have an engine suitable for the job, a small block chev and would like to use that to attempt to keep our costs down. Open to any classes that would be suitable. Obviously if its in perth that would be even better. And the opportunity to catch up with some local guys would be great too. There is some drag racing and track experience in our team but salt is what really suits us more with our schedules.

Cheers
Gus
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
David Leikvold

Re: Roller for WA rookie team

Post by David Leikvold »

Hey Gus,
I don't have, or know of, a roller for sale but I was thinking that maybe you would be better off building something from scratch that isn't hugely complicated and therefore expensive. The first thing I thought of was a T-bucket roadster. Why? Because they're small, cheap, simple and most of the parts you'll need are available off the shelf. Build a strong, three dimensional chassis with the right tube sizes, buy the other stuff you'll need anyway, knowing that it's new and with a good design, you'll have good speed out of the box with plenty of scope for improvement. Aerodynamics really matters, don't have random stuff hanging out in the breeze and keep it low to the ground. All you need to do is be able to see over the top of the fibreglass body (it won't rust!). Don't use transverse leaf springs either, the car has to handle well at speed. If you start soon you will be ready for next year.

Have a regular mid week build night so you and your mates can make good steady progress. Try to do something yourself every night, even if it's just tidying up and looking at the car and making notes. Every little bit helps, you don't want to be doing all nighters with a week to go.

Make absolutely sure you read the rule book often enough to build it right the first time. Build it with plenty of TLC, scrutineers love a car that has obviously been built well. Pay particular attention to driver safety. Know that your head, arms and legs will not be damaged by hitting hard parts in a prang. Fire safety is critical, the rescue guys are coming as fast as they can, but they're a fair way away. The safety standards in the rules should be regarded as the bare minimum, not all you need. Do it right, you'll never be sorry. See you at track 2.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hey dave, Thanks for your interest, a lot of good point there. Were all FIFO guys so we've worked out all the weeks we'll all be home at the same time till race day. We've got 11. We'll see how we go. We have a couple cars in mind none of them particularly aerodynamic, so just spending hrs on the rule book working out the classes for each option. The only thing we have sorted so far is the motor and gearbox, and i think that's the easiest bit. plenty ahead of us.
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Just remember that good aero is free speed. Eleven weeks might just see it done if you make your final choice very soon. Once you do, get stuck in as soon as possible. Try to be as organised as you possibly can. Have a good sized workshop to build the car, some of our people have struggled with cold, wet single garages that aren't even long enough. Good light and power is a must. Try to avoid a lot of custom made trickery, that will slow you down. The first Speedweek is also a big learning curve, there will be plenty of things you will want to change for 2018. I would commend to you the words of the late Carroll Smith, which went something like this: If you want to turn a road car into a race car, the only thing you won't have to change is the clutch pedal. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

I always liked Kevin Saville's T bucket with the blown red motor. Obviously a small block wouldn't create as much drag. The beauty of a scratch built car is the design is much less compromised, you can make it very easy to work on and every part of the design is intended for speed.

Here's a link:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=kevi ... rAGeR3M%3A

Gus

We have a car

Post by Gus »

Thanks for the advice David, damn good pictures there too. Well we have a car, and we decided to give ourselves plenty to do. I think ill start a build diary. Its a 1936 Hudson Terraplane sedan.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Chew like mad, boys, chew like mad! Looks like a lot of fun and we aren't knee deep in 'udsons wiv a haitch yet either. See you at the track 2 start line.
You have less than nine months to go!

Cheers