Fire Suppression System

Moderator: DLRA

Post Reply
User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

Fire Suppression System

Post by Dr Goggles » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:45 am

Here is a PM from one of our forum members "Teamleader", the reason I post it here is that Graham Millard from Gem Fire systems in Moorabin in Melbourne has been a great help to us , always friendly and has gone out of his way to help us when we are "in a hurry" to get something right......He carries all of the "Cold-Fire" products........

Look him up and tell him we sent you..........

here's the message , thanks Teamleader for the kind words......


Hello Doc.
I spoke to you briefly at Lake G the other day but I forgot to mention during our chat and/or did not make time to seek you out to thank you for your help on the Cold Fire contact details. I had to leave Wednesday lunchtime which of course further shortened my time there.
I am now the Western Australian distributor for Cold Fire Australia for which I must thank you for a/ mentioning the product on the DLRA forum and b/ supplying me with contact details.
The distributorship came about purely by accident and I am extremely grateful for your help - even though it just came from an innocent comment.
I believe the products in the range have great potential.
I owe you at least a beer and so if I am unable to meet with you beforehand I want to catch up at speedweek 2010.
Sincerely thank you.
Ian - Team Leader - DLRA #585


But of course if you're over in the west.....give Ian a PM.......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

Huge
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Habana

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by Huge » Sun May 08, 2011 9:42 am

hey all, I'm new at this, but have developed the bug. Each easter I get on the grog with Rob C and come home itching to duild something, but never do... This year I think I'm a gonner :| , I can't get anything done at work as I'm busy trying to digest all I can off this forum and following links :roll:
I'm at work at the moment, and have a Chubb bloke working on the fire suppression of a machine for me. I asked him about parts for a suppression system and he said that it'll cost me! Beer that is! So while he's here I'm gunna hit him up. Only problem is, my rule book is at home and I haven't really ever looked into the requirements, and I don't wanna pay the 10 bucks for another book...
Can anyone jot down a few of the things that I would need, so I can get this fella on the job...

Any help appreciated! Huge. :D

momec3
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:36 pm
Location: Cedar Grove Qld

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by momec3 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:31 am

G'Day Huge
You can download the ruelbook for nicks from our web site I believe.
My memory is 3 nozzles for engine bay and 3 for driver. Nozzles must be properly engineered (not home made) Engine bay should be able to be triggered independantly of drivers compartment. A switch to kill all electrical power to the vehicle must be triggered when the primary (engine bay) system is activated and the electrics cannot come back on. This takes some thought to get right. The fire system itself is straight foward.

Chris
Chris

Huge
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Habana

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by Huge » Sun May 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Cool , thanks Chris for the prompt reply!

I had a look at the website and there is now only a link to the scta... But I will join the dlra when I get home from work this week, then I'll have my own hard copy. I have a copy of the old rules at home which will be a good starting point till I get the new rules.

Is there any rule on the capacity of the tank?

David Leikvold
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:57 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by David Leikvold » Sun May 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Speaking of Cold Fire, I was looking at their website recently and couldn't find anything about complete systems for cars. Do they sell them or do we have to go elsewhere for the hardware and then get it filled with their stuff, which by the way, sounds like it is about as good as it gets. Is there a Brisbane agent that can do fills and/or refills?

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!

User avatar
ROSS BROWN
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: COORPAROO BRISBANE

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by ROSS BROWN » Sun May 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Motorsport connections
Hers a link to their fire supression page..
http://www.mscn.com.au/Scripts/prodList ... tegory=105
They also do fire sleeve as well . and other assorted saftey gear.
they are in Sydney.
Dave : they also do refills . but I don't know of anyone in Brisbane refilling COLDFIRE
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925

David Leikvold
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:57 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by David Leikvold » Sun May 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks Ross, that makes it all very simple. Now if only I hadn't sent the Celica to that great car yard in the sky!

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by Dr Goggles » Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 am

We empty our Cold Fire bottles into a black plastic closed drum each year. It saves the corrosive problems . Cold Fire is for all intensive purposes a soap, it coagulates and can block the dip-tubes but the main problem is it dissolves Aluminium oxide so it can eat through the tanks.So, we put it in the plastic container and agitate it a few times during the year then get them re-pressurized before the race each year. That way we KNOW they are in tip top shape.

Still the stuff I'd prefer to be sprayed with in a fire...
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

Huge
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Habana

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by Huge » Mon May 09, 2011 6:26 pm

And do they use nitrgen to pressurize the bottles Sir Goggs? Thats what chubb use to pressurize the foam stuff in the heavy machinery here on site. The foam stuff is like a very oarsum soap. Not sure what its called, but I'll be looking into it. It sits in the bottles for eons, unless some bonehead hits the botton by mistake :shock:

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by Dr Goggles » Mon May 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Huge wrote:And do they use nitrgen to pressurize the bottles Sir Goggs? Thats what chubb use to pressurize the foam stuff in the heavy machinery here on site. The foam stuff is like a very oarsum soap. Not sure what its called, but I'll be looking into it. It sits in the bottles for eons, unless some bonehead hits the botton by mistake :shock:

the soap stuff is called AFFF or Aqueous Film Forming Foam.......it works because it is a bi-polar solvent and can dissolve oils in water.....therefore it forms a coating over the fuel as well as all the usual things that water does, cooling and excluding oxygen etc.

If the extinguishers you talk about are stainless steel there will be no problem, with corrosion. My concern was a dip tube was blocked in one of ours , this problem evaded the usual check which is a weigh and repressurize, or just a weigh and visual inspection........

Yeah, they use nitrogen, now some will dispute as to whether the aluminium can corrode in the pure N environment.......we lost three bottles,all pin-holed,one of the extinguishers had an Al dip tube, it had a hole near the top...useless in a pinch ......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

grumm441
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: Buggery, a tidy town
Contact:

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by grumm441 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Dr Goggles wrote: If the extinguishers you talk about are stainless steel there will be no problem, with corrosion. My concern was a dip tube was blocked in one of ours , this problem evaded the usual check which is a weigh and repressurize, or just a weigh and visual inspection........


And of course on the belly tank you need to look at the flexible tube that joins the siphon tube to the top on the bottle
Not much use when you're upside down and the flexible tube has gone hard or broken, then not leaving the the weighted end of the
the siphon tube in the liquid. which was another thing that had failed in our extinguishers

G
They make it
I make it work

everetLion
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:42 pm
Location: Australia (brisbain)
Contact:

Re: Fire Suppression System

Post by everetLion » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Dr Goggles wrote:Here is a PM from one of our forum members "Teamleader", the reason I post it here is that Graham Millard from Gem Fire systems in Moorabin in Melbourne has been a great help to us , always friendly and has gone out of his way to help us when we are "in a hurry" to get something right......He carries all of the "Cold-Fire" products........

Look him up and tell him we sent you..........

here's the message , thanks Teamleader for the kind words......


Hello Doc.
I spoke to you briefly at Lake G the other day but I forgot to mention during our chat and/or did not make time to seek you out to thank you for your help on the Cold Fire contact details. I had to leave Wednesday lunchtime which of course further shortened my time there.
I am now the Western Australian distributor for Cold Fire Australia for which I must thank you for a/ mentioning the product on the DLRA forum and b/ supplying me with contact details.
The distributorship came about purely by accident and I am extremely grateful for your help - even though it just came from an innocent comment.
I believe the products in the range have great potential.
I owe you at least a beer and so if I am unable to meet with you beforehand I want to catch up at speedweek 2010.
Sincerely thank you.
Ian - Team Leader - DLRA #585


But of course if you're over in the west.....give Ian a PM.......
Better for you should carry out a fire safety assessment which to identification any problem areas or potential issues.Your fire assessment which should cover three main areas so that you not only limit the risk,s of a fire but also limit the damage caused by fire.Third area which concerns how you should respond if a fire were to occur.


Home Renovations Gold Coast

Post Reply