Interesting find... Design, Build, Test projects

Moderator: DLRA

internetscooter

Interesting find... Design, Build, Test projects

Post by internetscooter »

I downloaded a research paper on a scooter windtunnel aerodynamics test and followed up on some of the referenced papers . Googling paper names naturally turns up people using the information (in research you build up on other peoples knowledge and always state where you got it from).

I found this site as a result:

Design, Build, Test
https://engineering.purdue.edu/AAE/Academics/Courses/aae490t

There are student projects where they go through all sorts of design projects (e.g. Team 2004, Team 9 designed a motorcycle streamliner).

Enjoy.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
SPOOK

interesting find

Post by SPOOK »

OK Paul, When does the super scooter get the fin stuck on its bum? Cheers Spook.
internetscooter

no'fin planned for the current machine. the version 2 model in 2011 is another story...

Just need to get it off the drawing board.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
internetscooter

not maybe - it has been done before. The plan is a replica-ish of the 1951 Vespa Siluro speed record machine.

I need to have it enclosed though to meet the DLRA rules.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
Dr Goggles

yikes

Post by Dr Goggles »

Holy Crap!...that thing isn't exactly screaming "directional stability" at me......I get the feeling that thing would fly like a tennis ball with no spin on it. :shock:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
internetscooter

yep - they had problems with stability and stopped trying to go faster as soon as they got the record. The problems were mainly due to trying to jam the rider in. Since I have poetic license I can adapt it to be the new improved version :) One thing I have already found is that the whole tear drop pointed up! The thing would fly... literally!

There's a link below to an article (and another should the first link not work...

http://www.vespalabs.org/@api/deki/files/502/=vespa_speed_record.pdf

vespa_speed_record.pdf at http://www.vespalabs.org/Vespa_101/Reference_Material/Articles

... hence the reason for hunting down more modern info on the web.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
SPOOK

interesting find

Post by SPOOK »

Paul....If you are really serious I may be able to come up with a two-piece fibreglass streamliner body. Cheers
. Spook.
internetscooter

Thanks Spook!

It would certainly make things easier however I have a grand plan set in motion already - involving 3D modelling the thing first and then CNC'ing up the bits needed from the model. So the fun at the moment is building the CNC machine (which should allow me build lots of cool stuff).
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
Reverend Hedgash

Re: yikes

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Dr Goggles wrote:Holy Crap!...that thing isn't exactly screaming "directional stability" at me......I get the feeling that thing would fly like a tennis ball with no spin on it. :shock:

yes.. I reckon its the old "looks like a fish, drives like a fish, steers like a cow..."

I reckon if anyone can do it, you can though...

rH+
DLRA Member#412
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

Does that mean you'll be doing something like the Main/Poteet streamliner?
http://speeddemon.us/construction.html

Whataya plans for a CNC. I guy I work with is trying to build a CNC machine at home using parallel kinematics. Looks good in CAD but that's as far as he's got so far.
internetscooter

I have all the CNC bits for 4 axis machine (controller/steppers/router etc) and can make them do my bidding through software. However I haven't nutted out the mechanical design, which is next on my list. I have a bunch of unistrut and will experiement with a few concepts, then weld the thing solid when it works (not as elegant as parallel kinematics I know :shock: ).

At the moment the forming style of the Main/Poteet streamliner looks close to what I am aiming for, however I might end up with a thing that cuts out bits for a wooden skeleton. A bit like this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNZK8-z0ndk but I would use expanding foam or use it as a template for aluminium forming.

At the moment the plan is to have something crude working before 2010 Speed Week so I can make all the streamlining bits for the current Vespa.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Hey Paul.

Mmmm CNC....

I have had things built with these cool machines in all matter of ways and all matter of materials for buildings and for sets. Router, laser and water jet all get a guernsey. I love the possibilities of them.

Have regularly had my eyes on them on Grays online but never had the guts (or the readies) to buy.

But building one... hmmm. Do tell your story, I know there are sites for cnc diy on the web but it would be good to read about a local building one suitable for the stuff on this site want to build.. Maybe a separate thread on this aspect, I am sure there would be a host of interest from others as well.

rH+
Last edited by Reverend Hedgash on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA Member#412
internetscooter

Keep an eye on the build diaries as soon as I have something of substance I'll start one for the Siluro II (Siluro is Italian for "Torpedo" not "Big Ugly Fish" :lol: ).

I hit RMIT Bundoora library today and got "Low Speed Aerodynamics" Katz and Plotkin. So I should soon have a calculated 3D tear drop model to start the diary off with.

Here's the CNC bits I have http://www.techlf.com/cnc4bu_kit.php3
Paul
---
DLRA #647
www.vespalabs.org