HANS

Moderator: DLRA

Should Head And Neck Systems be instigated ASAP?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 16

Dr Goggles

HANS

Post by Dr Goggles »

The SCTA is going mandatory across the board.

When does the DLRA expect to follow?

Don't mistake my interest for pressure in either direction, I just need to know what we HAVE to spend money on before I spend it on something i WANT to spend it on, like going fast.......... :?
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt »

I guess the issue of this new restraint system raises further questions.

Is there a source for this equipment out here, or do we have to import it from the U.S.?

Is there a sunset clause/condition whereby it needs to be replaced - like helmets and other safety equipment as described in the SCTA handbook?

What does the insurance company think of it?

Will it impact upon the fire and safety crew especailly in the extrication of drivers in the event of a mishap?
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Googles you wouldn't be able to get in and out of your car with a hans devise on,, your already sitting half way between the racing and the kiss your asre goodbye position..
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Rob

Post by Rob »

There are other SCTA legal (SFI rated) devices which are less restrictive to entry and exit than the Hans system.

SFI 38.1 compliant and this one is $US649. Several other versions here:
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m ... Code=SSHNR

I'm on the fence on this one but can see it coming sooner or later. Maybe as a requirement over a given speed?

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Dr Goggles

not true

Post by Dr Goggles »

DirtyDave wrote:Googles you wouldn't be able to get in and out of your car with a hans devise on,, your already sitting half way between the racing and the kiss your asre goodbye position..

Don't you mean...."kiss your arse ..Hello!"...sitting the way we do you've got be all up close and comfortable with it.... :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Dr G

I don't know that I'd want to wear a HANS as it's going to make it extremely difficult to get in and out of the Monaro and that got big doors let alone some of the other competitors vehicles especially the chopped ones. How ever I'm like Rob I can see it coming where we will have to conform for the underwriter to write insurance and therefore my vote is yes.

Just wondering if 100 mph tape wrapped around twice arounfd the helmet back to the cage if that would surfice.

Plucka
penny

Post by penny »

i would think that a starting point for ""across the board" or "manditory" at speedweek before a hans device would be a helmet eject system. It appears to work,it is affordable,and it has to be a friend of our safety personal.Before you car guys say its only for motorcycles think about it,its less than a pair of fire proof socks? .yep so i think you probably think you dont need them either. http://www.shockdoctor.com/news/1880/sh ... ports.aspx
momec

Post by momec »

Its a big yes from me but lay down cars will require a different type to sit up cars.
Our whole rule book should be following the scta with maybe a couple years delay or we will be left in the 90,s with an impossible catch up.
Opinions??

Chris
Acme Racing #251
Dr Goggles

yes

Post by Dr Goggles »

penny wrote:i would think that a starting point for ""across the board" or "manditory" at speedweek before a hans device would be a helmet eject system. It appears to work,it is affordable,and it has to be a friend of our safety personal.Before you car guys say its only for motorcycles think about it,its less than a pair of fire proof socks? .yep so i think you probably think you dont need them either. http://www.shockdoctor.com/news/1880/sh ... ports.aspx

I'd second that.
Our esteemed colleague Ben James is doing a little seek and supply research on this very topic as we speak.......... :wink:
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

After seeing this image I voted YES after all it is for your own protection.
Member DLRA 112.
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

It's hard to come up with a valid argument not to include something that improves safety.
It wouldn't necessarily have to be the actual HANS system would it?

The rule book is only there to make the cars (and bikes) safe.
penny

Post by penny »

i do not run a car or a bike so why should my vote be included in a poll. I would think that this should be log book driven as a poll and the final decision be made by a safety commitee.
David Leikvold

good idea

Post by David Leikvold »

I didn't vote either, for the same reason as Paul. I guess they'll eventually become compulsory just because they're a very good idea. In the meantime there's nothing stopping people using one voluntarily. Even though they limit helmet movement once you're strapped in, once you've unbuckled they won't hinder your ability to get out of a car, it's just another part of the process that's worth the effort. It might mean that if you have a huge crash you stand a much better chance of surviving it.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Don Hudson

Post by Don Hudson »

I thought HANS devices were to stop the head moving forward in a frontal impact preventing fractures to the base of the skull/spine?
if that's the case, what are you going to frontal impact into, the ground?
It's a no from me.
417 AA/FCC 91 Olds NASCAR
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

Don Hudson wrote:I thought HANS devices were to stop the head moving forward in a frontal impact preventing fractures to the base of the skull/spine?
if that's the case, what are you going to frontal impact into, the ground?
It's a no from me.

Ok now I am confused..... :? Not sure how I should have voted but I still vote YES for anything that is safety related.
Member DLRA 112.