Brakes, how much do I need?

Moderator: DLRA

blownvn

Brakes, how much do I need?

Post by blownvn »

Okay, so I'm building an E/Pro car and because the record is 179mph, I'll have to build to 175mph+, so that means a chute will be needed.

How much brakes do I need though? I'm considering running front brakes only which I understand has been done before.

Why amd I considering this?

Well firstly lower drag, but also because the diff I'm looking at using needs some modifications to hook up the rear brakes and I'm just lazy. :P

Thought?
Reverend Hedgash

Re: Brakes, how much do I need?

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Bvn

we just have the drum brakes on the back of the bellytank and they are OK but we are considering putting some on the front to be sure.

As soon as you lift off the wind resistance really makes itself felt and does all the initial slowing down at speed, and with your car being a lot less slippery than ours it should do a much better job at getting you down to a reasonable speed quickly.

We are just reaching the limits now of speed and so are just discovering now how much room we have left for slowing down before turning off the long course.

On the short course it is fairly tight getting up to speed and we have to be careful to note the speed before turning as you could still be in the 200km mark if a bit tardy on the brakes...

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Rob

Post by Rob »

And then there's the unthinkable chute failure to consider.

You can use springs to hold the pads off the disc or not go bezerk adjusting drum brakes and still have minimal drag but decent brakes.

I'm not sure how you stand in /Pro with non-working brakes on one end as I hadn't considered it.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
momec

Post by momec »

I run discs on the rear only on the ute and deliberately "knock" the pads off as l drive to the startline and not use the brakes before the run.
As the Rev says when l lift my foot at 175 it scrubs speed all by itself quite well.
I don't use the chute
I can't see fronts only being a problem. Compare it to your pushbike days. Theres times you wont be hard on emm like mid corner.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

momec wrote:I run discs on the rear only on the ute and deliberately "knock" the pads off as l drive to the startline and not use the brakes before the run.
As the Rev says when l lift my foot at 175 it scrubs speed all by itself quite well.
I don't use the chute
I can't see fronts only being a problem. Compare it to your pushbike days. Theres times you wont be hard on emm like mid corner.
Chris
Which ute is yours Momec? The XP?

Edit: Okay, I looked it up. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is who by forum names. :)