prepairing a bike for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

off tap racing

prepairing a bike for the salt

Post by off tap racing »

hi all, just some questions i need answering which i can seem to find in the rule book, 1. can you run coolant or does it have to be water, 2. safety wire, is it a special grade of wire and where is the best place to purchase if so. 3. log book, do you get your log book when you go though scutineering or must you gain it somewhere else.
lag waggon

Re: prepairing a bike for the salt

Post by lag waggon »

off tap racing wrote:hi all, just some questions i need answering which i can seem to find in the rule book, 1. can you run coolant or does it have to be water, 2. safety wire, is it a special grade of wire and where is the best place to purchase if so. 3. log book, do you get your log book when you go though scutineering or must you gain it somewhere else.
Ok i can help you out with answers to your questions- 1. You can run coolant in your bike unlike track racing.
2. Saftey wire is aircraft grade stainless steel wire, i got mine from motorsport connections mscn.com.au the .032 diameter wire is what i use, its easy to work with.
3. You will get your log book the first time you go through scrutineering and you must bring it back with you every year after that.

Hope that helps you out off tap. Nathan.
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
Live Life In The Fast Lane.
2010 MPS/G 650 144.057 mph
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

[quote="lag waggonYou can run coolant in your bike unlike track racing.
quote]
Coolant is a BIG no no on Lake Gairdner due to environmental concerns.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

gennyshovel wrote:[quote="lag waggonYou can run coolant in your bike unlike track racing.
quote]
Coolant is a BIG no no on Lake Gairdner due to environmental concerns.
[/quote]

I run it and i know others that run it and there is nothing in the rule book to say any different, i havent heard or been told that its not to be used before this Tiny. I understand the environmental concerns with coolant if spilt on the lake surface, but if you use a recovery system you shouldnt have a problem but nothing is 100% fool proof. Please dont think im just having a bitch, but in saying that you cant use coolant incase theres a spill you should also say no oil either or even petrol they could all end up on the lake its just how you manage the risk.
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
off tap racing

Post by off tap racing »

thanks for that guys, its helpped alot, i was thinking of running distiled water anyway as ive had to do at various gocart tracks ive raced my pocket bikes at.
teamleader

Post by teamleader »

You could add Motor Max to your distilled water. Go to http://www.coldfireaustralia.com.au for full details
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

lag waggon wrote: but in saying that you cant use coolant incase theres a spill you should also say no oil either or even petrol they could all end up on the lake its just how you manage the risk.
Coolant is banned on a lot of race tracks, if you've ever gone Assius over Titus on it ( me) you'll know why.....however your argument aint relevant because your bike will run without ethylene glycol, much further than it will without oil, which is further than it will without fuel...

If you insist , there are clear coolants....but the coloring is there BECAUSE it is not a hazard free substance....

You're right there is nothing in the rule book...I'm pretty sure there used to be....dunno what happened there.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Post by momec »

Don't mean to be anal but you guys have a terminolgy glitch. Coolant is whatever liquard you run in the cooling system.
Ethylene gycol only real advantage on its own is antifreeze with a minor antiboil thing but insignicant. It even mixed correctly does not cool as well as pure water. It needs anti corrosive added to it to be anticorrosive. Its slippery and bad for the enviroment.
Straight water has the wrong ph for long term use even distilled but is OK if drained completly after a meeting (hard to do unless you dismantle). Penrite make a very good anti corrosive additive called inhibitor plus. Most Penrite stockists will get it in for you. Very good for things that sit in storage. No glycol just make the ph right if you mix right. Read there www

Redline make water wetter which cools better than anything else on the market and no glycol. Read there stuff on the redline www. Most other companies have anti corrosives available without the glycol but you have to hunt.
According to Bob Ellis, (happy 50th Bob) Redline water wetta is the only one SCTA approve.
Use water wetta myself
Hope this helps
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Havachat

Post by Havachat »

Geez Chris
It's guys like you , that confirm, you know your shit. And so you, as a builder of race engines, would.
We mostly all call it coolent, because that's how it's sold, & like all good sheep, we follow in the belief it is.
But you are right, it is largely antifreeze, something we, west of Toowoomba range & north of NSW border, shouldn't need.
Unlike Don over in N Z as he'd have to be useing it full strenght to stop his radiator from freezing.
Looks like Redlines sales of Wetter water, are going to increase between now & Speed Week. 8)
Keep the H.P. burning & the wheels turning
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Yup,i run the Redline water wetter in the Kawasaki ZX12, :) ,, an what Chris said, the motor runs much cooler,, good stuff 8)
My understanding of Anti Boil & Freeze mixtures is that it retains heat and dose not allow it to escape,, in a high performance motor, temperature over the optumin(spelling) robs horsepower :(
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

i run water wetter in my system no probs at all and like i said in the begining yes you can run coolant in your bike :D
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*