Leathers

Moderator: DLRA

Leathers

Post by Guest »

My 2 piece leathers have armour back protector etc all built in they zipper together but leave aprox 12 inches (for those of us ancient enough to remember imperial measurements) not zippered together at the front.
They have passed road racing days and days at the drags and are unmarked and as new condition. Willthey meet DLRA inspection :?: :wink:
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

The rules require that 2 peice leathers zip together completly is there any way you can alter yours to achieve this ? might be wise to obtain another set if possible as a back up and I will check the pair you have at scrutineering :wink:
Gary ( bike scrutineer )
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Gary , whats the go for next year wrt leathers and helmuts!!!!
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
hawkwind racing

rider gear

Leathers the same as this year , over 200 mph full body armour and helmets snell 2000 or later
Gary
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Gary, can you be more specific wrt " to full body " required
thanks
Very much the apprentice
hawkwind racing

Back , chest ,sholders ,arms , and knees :wink: either as seperate ( worn under leathers ) or as a part of the leathers
Gary
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Thanks gary , just another question as usual:--

What does the word "armour" mean in reference to material and or a particular std.

Road Racing NSW requires only back protection and has no standard either australian or otherwise required. As such my back protector I have purchased for road racing is a "hard plastic".

Other "armour" on the market can and does consist of "dense " foam material which as expected absorbs energy more efficiently than "hard" plastics.

thanks
Very much the apprentice
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

ping
Very much the apprentice
hawkwind racing

standards

Gazza
There are no Australian or U.S standards for this type of protection , but there are European "CE" standards I will no impose a " you must use these items " but its your body try this site for some guidance :)
http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/77.html
or Google lots on the net
Gary
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Thanks Gary,
bottom line is that non of us want to go out and purchase brand new leathers and then find out when we turn up next year on the salt that either they dont comply or worse still, that the new regulation for those going over 200mph wont be enforced.

I can think of alot of other things to buy for a grand than another set of leathers at this point in time.

Kinds like the Snell std for helmets wrt ozzie std --- an additional cost that isnt warranted when you examine the relavent! std.

I suppose also that all the leathers manufacturers are calling their products " full body armour" and when you compare the variations in how they go about it, it becomes confusing especially as you say there is no std to comply with nor a governing body. Even Snell is a private company!!!!
Very much the apprentice
hawkwind racing

standards

Gazza yes I know where you are comming from , as to the adoption of "AS" standards I personally see no problem with them , but you must remember that our current "rules" came directly in totallity from the SCTA rules ,which of course use the US. standards , our rules will evolve albeit slowly to encompass Australian standards ,but be aware that even other racing institutions eg Cams , Andra use a combination of different standards Aussie / british, european and US , so its a matter of using the best for our purposes , also we are under the watchfull eye of Govt and insurance interests so we not only have to implement appropriate safety rules but be seen as implimenting " worlds best practice " .
don't worry about rules changing at short notice there is usually about 2 years notice given of changes and unless you turn up with really unsuitable gear you will pass scrutineering :wink:
Gary
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Thanks Gary ,
appreciate the info.
Very much the apprentice