1st time motorcycle racing

Moderator: DLRA

chief

1st time motorcycle racing

Post by chief »

Hi, my name's Luke

It's my first time racing and I'm after a bit of help understanding the rules and setting up my bike.
I'm bringing my Honda NSR250 track bike.

I got a copy of the rulebook late last year.

So.........

-There was a highlighted entry stating that from 2011 a Snell M2005 helmet must be used. Reading a forum post from 2009 it stated that an AS/NZS1698 helmet was acceptable. Is the entry in the rulebook about Snell helmets the latest ruling?

-I currently have racing slicks on the bike; what would everyone recommend running? Slicks or road tyres? Does it make a difference on the salt?

-What is recommended for the kill switch and lanyard system? I was wondering about a system off a jet ski perhaps? (7.B.2.2.)

- Just for clarification on 7.B.2.3., fuel pump stop lanyard, fuel refers to a fuel category bike? Mine being a gas motor with carbie and gravity feed isn't affected by this rule? Similarly , 7.b.2.5.?

-I have one piece leathers that have stretch nomex panels in the inner thigh and calf, would these be acceptable? I read another post that said nomex underwear would be required for leathers with such panels etc. If so what type and to what spec/standard? What is the current ruling on this too?

-I am trying to work out which class to run in.
The motor is standard Honda so I think production (P) class for that.
I think the bike/frame could go into the production (P) class however it seems that because the bike has after-market (neither OEM or OEM replica) fairings it would have to be in the special construction (A) class.
Does this sound correct?

-Reading the rules I couldnt see a ruling for dual return springs on the fuel system as there is for cars. I want to double check this is correct for bikes. Only the rule of a self-closing throttle applies?

-Is the chain guard only required over the upper portion of the chain?

- What are the requirements for support vehicles for bikes?

-The ruling on fuel lines reads fireproof sleeve over lines. I have standard rubber fuel lines, could I retain these using metal clamps for the ends and fire-proof sleeve in between. Using this would mean the ends of the hose covered by the clamps would not be sleeve encased. Is this acceptable or is there some other system that could be used?

Reading in the recent info maybe contacting the chief scrutineer for advice would be best?

Thanks in advance for any help. It's very much appreciated.

Cheers

Luke
hawkwind

Re: 1st time motorcycle racing

Post by hawkwind »

Luke,
Call me Gary ( chief motorcycle scrutineer) on 0450116722 and I can answer your questions
cheers
Gary #282
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio