Fuel Line Rules :Motorcycle.

Moderator: DLRA

ROSS BROWN

Fuel Line Rules :Motorcycle.

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Just going through the technical inspection sheet...

Was at a pre tech inspection party just the other day, and the boys had been previously log booked about their fuel lines not being fire proofed , but in going through the tech sheet.... something conflicts...
7.B.25 FUEL LINES- All unvalved lines are fire proofed, including tank cross over
7.B.25 FUEL LINES- Clear fuel lines allowed if marked "for fuel use "

This is what I think I'm reading :roll:

IF there is a fuel tap mounted to the tank , the lines have been valved. Fuel lines or clear lines are acceptable without fire sleeves , as long as they are marked for fuel use..

IF a fuel tank has a line out of it to a tap or a pump , that line is the unvalved portion of the system and must have a fire sleeve , the lines after the tap or the pump are deemed valved and do not need fire sleeves.

I feel I'm correct ,but I bet I'm not.....

2 cents Please. :D
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Mossy

Re: Fuel Line Rules :Motorcycle.

Post by Mossy »

Ross
Thats the same way I understood it to read as well. My bike will have taps on the tank and the lines to the carb will be rubber fuel line?
But I'm only a learner :D
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
SPOOK

Post by SPOOK »

I concur and presume that would suffice.
off tap racing

Post by off tap racing »

my bike has a fuel tap and rubber fuel lines with metal hose clamps and it passed pre inspection in SA last month, but im not sure about the new rules for naxt year, Graeme.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

You will have to cover all the fuel lines with fire shield or use steel braided hose.
Did both in 09 and had it pointed out the braided hose is fire proof
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

This is from the current Rule Book I got at the DLRA Meeting on the Sunday 24th.

Section 7.B.25 Fuel systems:

"All non-valve portions of the fuel or gas lines (including saddle tank crossover lines), shall have fire-resistant or fireproof connecting lines and fittings."

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Maybe they counted the efi as all non valved ,just knew it was expected that i cover it all
G what did you pickup about fuel systems when you were there with Tom et al
Last edited by Greg Watters on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Greg
They seemed pretty happy if it had Fuel Line written on it and it, made of rubber and had steel hose clamps on it. For Gas
Clear fuel line was inspected very closely, and then rejected
Anything that ran in a fuel class was inspected very very closely. Especially with regards to fuel shutoffs that had to work from the handle bars

I saw fire proof covering on a few but not all. Mainly big power turbo bikes.
And there was no negotiating with the tech crew on the rules
If it didn't pass, you didn't run
I had the disappointing job of telling Lars Octane who brought his supercharged Indian over from Denmark that he couldn't pass tech until I saw his leathers and helmet. They were at the lake, but someone else was using them and he couldn't produce them at tech, so he didn't run at Speedweek

So Ross
EFI line and clamps on everything that has fuel in it
I would hate to be doing 100+ mph on a flaming bike
I've had a bike explode next to me when it was hit by a car, and it's not a good way to keep warm

rule 7.B.25 should say
Clear fuel is for resto's that are never going to have fuel in them, siphoning petrol for the lawn mower and garden plumbing
G
They make it
I make it work
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

O'K
This is what i did do...
Removed all fittings and taps from the tank , then welded in dash 8 fitting as to accept the braided line which then went directly to the fuel pump . The pump is directly wired to the kill switch and then to a on/off switch mounted on the handle bar,from there the fuel passes through the pump into rubber lines marked for fuel use ( but are not efi lines )
did not think efi line was neccesary as fuel pump is pressure releaved at 5 pound.
There is no tap in the system as I thought as the pump became the valve to the system .
This is how I've read the rule book...
Did this pass or fail ?
Please let me know soon as I have only have 11 months and 2 weeks to rectify the situation..... :roll:

IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

grumm441 wrote: would hate to be doing 100+ mph on a flaming bike
I've had a bike explode next to me when it was hit by a car, and it's not a good way to keep warm
I had a plastic tanked motocross bike catch fire at Lake Lefroy enduro race...pitcrew put a piece of rag (for wiping goggles) between seat/tank. It hung down, touched the pipe and started combusting whilst flat out! It took long enough to stop then from about 80mph.....threw sand on bike for about a minute to put it out. bike was toast...well more like cheese on toast, all warm and melted.
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

I remember now asking Tom Evans about fuel lines
As I recall, he said that if it was rubber fuel line, it was by default, fire proof
I remember Animal having some issues with the strength and quality of AN fittings
However I am happy with it
G
They make it
I make it work
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Sorry to butt in on a bike issue but please guys remember common sense before both a rule book, a wallet, or a misinformed opinion.
A braided stainless line with properly installed AN fittings is always going to be more fireproof than a rubber line. Both would benefit from a flameproof sheath.This silver stuff is available from Performance Wholesale or any of the majors perfomance importers. Clear lines, you have to be kidding, Even if you sheath it ask yourself..... EFI rubber line is better and tougher than carb rubber line. Both burn good.

Think from the fires point of view looking for more to burn before you can pull up and bail out. Oil fires are bad but petrol? That flame proof sheath is bloody cheap and readily available. Stainless braid has 2 grades, good and better.

Then there are 2 grades of aircraft/F1 style line that are better than the common stainless braid if you don't like stainless braid. Contact Mike at Race Parts (Qld) if you need this stuff. (this is not an add, many do'nt know this stuff exists) These are lighter, bend better and have a higher temp threshold and available down to dash 3 and up to dash 20. Mike can make custom lines by phone order. This shit is not cheap but is available with a phone call.

I used to think that what was OK for production cars/bikes must be OK for racing until I was involved with the performance racing industry for 4 years. Its not even close. Think about what we do and I mean this with the greatest respect to all. Some of our engines are put together and tuned by once a year warriors. We then go out and try our hardest to kill our engines. Some will explode and some will catch fire. This is a fact to think about.

Chris
Chris