A/G 125 class build

Moderator: DLRA

god of speed

Re: MPS/G 125 class build

Post by god of speed »

oh and is there always plenty of room to camp in the campsites? id imagine with hundreds of people setting up their garages it would take up a bit of room. when do you need to get there?

i am also unfamiliar with the event program, is there scheduled runs for each class or do people book in when they want to run so that we dont need to be there for all of speedweek.

thanks guys
- Charlie
'Overall happiness is directly proportional to the increasing distance between the front wheel and the ground.'
'The God of Speed' - 125cc Lakes Racer - www.thegodofspeedproject.com
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ - Rest in pieces
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

god of speed wrote:
grumm441 wrote:Hey Charlie
Why don't you just run a complete Aprilia RS125
They have a pretty good shape and they are not that expensive
G
id just rather build my own bike, not just buy one, strip some stuff of it and go. this is more a learning excersize to increase experience in engineering and motorcycle tuning. the record is awesome but not that important to me. i just like the idea of building something myself that is completely unique and for one purpose.
besides the aprilia is over engineered, bulky twin spar frame with heavy plastic fairings, is not what i want. i am going for much less weight plus im going for about 30-40kmh faster than the aprilia top speed anyway.
i dont really call $4-5k cheap for a mid 90s 125. infact ive just got a kawasaki kr250 double cradle box aluminium frame for $300. my engine was 500, exhaust will be 600, plus engine mods and parts. it might add up to the same as a standard aprilia but it will be a purpose built salt machine instead of a road bike with rossi's gp stickers.
Fair enough, I was just asking
G
They make it
I make it work
god of speed

Post by god of speed »

haha sorry, i am pretty good at ranting. do you run a gixxer? just checking out your photobucket site.
- Charlie
'Overall happiness is directly proportional to the increasing distance between the front wheel and the ground.'
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

god of speed wrote:haha sorry, i am pretty good at ranting. do you run a gixxer? just checking out your photobucket site.
Nope, just pictures
I spanner the 374 bellytank
I've got something with a bike engine in the works
Oh, and motorcycle scrutineering
G
They make it
I make it work
Rob

Post by Rob »

god of speed wrote:oh and is there always plenty of room to camp in the campsites? id imagine with hundreds of people setting up their garages it would take up a bit of room.

Plenty of room at either campsite for camping no matter when you arrive. The members camp is about 10km away from the salt but has electricity, hot showers, toilets and the like. Proceeds go to the club. The camp behind the canteen is run by Mt Ive and the proceeds go to them. There are only a couple of toilets and am not sure on showers as I camp at the members camp.
when do you need to get there?
If you get there early you can choose your campsite and help setup. This not only gets the place up and running sooner but also allows you to meet many of the officials and get a feel for the place. From memory, someone usually arrives by Thursday to start opening the place up, possibly earlier and I'm sure someone will chime in here.
i am also unfamiliar with the event program, is there scheduled runs for each class or do people book in when they want to run so that we dont need to be there for all of speedweek.
No scheduled runs for anything. You line up, go through scrutineering and assuming you pass, line up to run with everyone else. Normally you would run the GPS track for any licensing passes and the long track for record runs. Assuming you don't own a gpd you receive on from the GPS start line officials and return it when you come back down the return road. Typically the GPS is fixed to bike somewhere behind you using velcro which works surprisingly well,.
thanks guys
Here's a couple of links to my Photobucket images from 2009 and '2010 to give you more idea on what's out there.

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... week%2009/
http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... ek%202010/

Hope that helps a little.
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
god of speed

Post by god of speed »

rob, thanks for the info

some good pics there

i saw this one

at the honda broad ford bike bonanza last year, i was very intrigued.

do you know who runs this bike?

id be interested to get some info on it. obviously i wont be in the same class but still.

thanks again!
- Charlie
god of speed

Post by god of speed »

grumm441 wrote:
god of speed wrote:haha sorry, i am pretty good at ranting. do you run a gixxer? just checking out your photobucket site.
Nope, just pictures
I spanner the 374 bellytank
I've got something with a bike engine in the works
Oh, and motorcycle scrutineering
G
ok good to know,

on that subject, whats the go with pre-event scrutineering? are there officials in cities who hold inspection days in the months prior? i am in melbourne.
- Charlie
RGV

Post by RGV »

The blue bike is Milton,s from Elliston SA. The bike is a highly moded RM125 motor in some old frame he found in his shed i think. Australia's Bert Munro.
I was talking to him at the SA pre race scrutinering day at Gawler earlier this year.
He said that this year was going to be his last, a real pitty, I hope he returns next year for another go.

He also runs a sidecar powered by a cortina motor i think. Also built by himself.

http://www.dlra.org.au/profiles/571.htm

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

god of speed wrote: ok good to know,

on that subject, whats the go with pre-event scrutineering? are there officials in cities who hold inspection days in the months prior? i am in melbourne.
I did plan to do something with pre event scrutineering this year.
However, events conspired to stop me.
I will be looking at it again next year, I have a venue in mind and I will probably aim for the start of February.
If you need something looked at or clarified more urgently
http://www.dlra.org.au/detail.htm
Give one of us a ring
G
They make it
I make it work
god of speed

Post by god of speed »

RGV wrote:The blue bike is Milton,s from Elliston SA. The bike is a highly moded RM125 motor in some old frame he found in his shed i think. Australia's Bert Munro.
I was talking to him at the SA pre race scrutinering day at Gawler earlier this year.
He said that this year was going to be his last, a real pitty, I hope he returns next year for another go.

He also runs a sidecar powered by a cortina motor i think. Also built by himself.

funny i was originally planning on running a rm125 engine. so easy and cheap to tune with massive support base.
- Charlie
god of speed

Post by god of speed »

RGV wrote:The blue bike is Milton,s from Elliston SA. The bike is a highly moded RM125 motor in some old frame he found in his shed i think. Australia's Bert Munro.

whats the advice on tyres? im doubting slicks are a good idea
- Charlie
RGV

Post by RGV »

This is the tire i use, nothing flash as long as it has some center tread and has the right speed rating for your class.

http://www.spencercycle.com/Shinko-006- ... 7-4036.htm

Bigger (faster) classes would need a better (more expensive?) tire.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
god of speed

Post by god of speed »

RGV wrote:This is the tire i use, nothing flash as long as it has some center tread and has the right speed rating for your class.

http://www.spencercycle.com/Shinko-006- ... 7-4036.htm

Bigger (faster) classes would need a better (more expensive?) tire.
ah k, i was going to go for skinny ish ones, any advice for finding ones? im guessing you do need a normal road tread then to get grip on the salt?
- Charlie
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey GOS
avon make a 100/90 v 19 which is marked for use on front and rear. this is the tyre I have used on the rear of my small bikes.
Silcks work well on the front-- ran 177 on the R1 using a drag front slick.
I am using a slick off a 125 road race bike on the front.
I don't think a 125 or 250 will outdo a V rated tyre 150+ when shaved
Use the skinniest tyres you can that will have the speed rating, and the tallest on the rear
cheers Bones
god of speed

Re: A/G 125 class build

Post by god of speed »

so after going over the rule book again, and noting the things i skipped the last few times ive read it, i will not intend to run in the special construction, gasoline 125cc class. modified doesnt work for me because i am using a kawasaki frame but an aprilia engine!

next question is how do i tell what tyres are rated for what speeds? i have running gear off a sachs madass 125, will those tyres be ok? their bike sure doesnt go anywhere near the world record for A/G 125 of 118mph.
- Charlie