Motorcycle tyres on 4 wheel vehicle

Moderator: DLRA

maxwaterline

Motorcycle tyres on 4 wheel vehicle

Post by maxwaterline »

Another query.

Looks like it is possible to use motorcycle tyres on a 4 wheel vehicle, SCTA 2010 rules 2.F, subject
to approval by board/committee/scrutineer 45 days prior to an event, and, no doubt, subject
to tyre manufacturers load/pressure limitations.

Is this so?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Adrian #929
Member #929
BIG GAZ

Re: Motorcycle tyres on 4 wheel vehicle

Post by BIG GAZ »

Adrian,
Just a quick reply till I have a proper look but I can see a million questions looming from the car stewards. If you use m/cycl tyres then you would have to use m/cyl rims as the tyres would probably be tubeless. I don't think a steward would accept a tubeless m/cyl tyre on a steel car rim. The drive wheel/wheels would still need to run a sprocket then? Axles, hubs, welding?Loading and speed rating are obvious.
Is this just a thought or are you seriously in need of an answer?
GAZ
maxwaterline

Post by maxwaterline »

Gaz, I think you are right, may be possible but could be too difficult in reality, not a serious question, I was just wanting clarification.

I was posing the question with the assumption that special wheels would have to be made anyway. It occurred to me after some thought that the load limitations of a motorcycle tyre might be the most limiting factor for use on a 4 wheel vehicle, such as a lakester.

Many thanks

Adrian
Member #929
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

What worries me is that motorcycle wheels are not subject to the same forces as a car wheel, i.e lateral. If a steel car wheel can bend in a spin out without even hitting anything a m/cyl wheel would have no chance.
GAZ
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Adrian,
Rulebook 2.G
"Motorcycle wheels not designed for automotive use are prohibited."
That should answer the question.
Thanks,
GAZ
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

A motorcycle tyre is designed with very limited side loading and has minimul side wall construction, if your looking for something really narrow your best option is a goodyear eagle dragster front runner 17' x 2.25..
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

BIG GAZ wrote:Adrian,
If you use m/cycl tyres then you would have to use m/cyl rims as the tyres would probably be tubeless. I don't think a steward would accept a tubeless m/cyl tyre on a steel car rim.
GAZ
Not trying to start a barney but that doesn't make sense.There's a pair of Harley style 16's sitting in my back yard that haven't gone flat on 16' Mainline rims that were mounted in 2004 .............

My tip Adrian is to go with car tyres, sticking your head up attracts shooting......you'll be busy ducking and weaving when there's a whole lot of other stuff to think about. :wink:

I saw LOTS of 200+ cars running frontrunners at Bonneville..........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..