Rule 3.A.3 Drivers Helmet Support

Moderator: DLRA

Cookey

Rule 3.A.3 Drivers Helmet Support

Post by Cookey »

With this new rule coming into force for 2012:

"A forward, side and rear helmet support system shall be used in all vehicles.
Forward movement: All cars and motorcycle streamliners shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type head and neck
restraint system."

What is everyone doing as far as purchasing (if you don't already have) one and what is available and relevant costs?
I have just laid out over a grand to purchase a new SFI-15 Suit and boots etc to meet the rules and now find that my 'worn once only' $500 Snell M2000 Shoei helmet is out of f#^** date. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Don't know how I am going to get a replacement unit approved by my Minister of Finance let alone a Hans device as well :!: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
RGV

Re: Rule 3.A.3 Drivers Helmet Support

Post by RGV »

Could the HANS device be limited to a speed rated vehicle like shutes maybe?

I know its safety but a car doing say 125 mph having to run on seems like an overkill.

Full carbon fiber monocoque next?

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

PM me Cookey I'm going to go to DJ Safety in LA in a few weeks, work out what you can spend....you need around $330 for a basic SA 2010 in a bag from the US. A HANS might set you back anywhere from $400-$800

There's a deal on SA 2050 budget level helmets currently too....and before anyone starts on the $2 head stuff ?save it........

A drag racer will buy the helmet you've got......Ours is expired too and a mate who has a 1/4 mile Torana wants it, $150 .

Yeah, I reckon the HANS is overkill too, but I'm not complaining...........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

With this new rule coming into effect in 2012, does this mean that any early adopters of the HANS device will have to buy a new one? As, they were not SFI rated until now.
Does anyone know where you can buy an SFI rated HANS device? All the one I have seen are only FIA rated.
penny

Post by penny »

glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Ratmuller

Post by Ratmuller »

I would like to have some one clarify the reason why we need to comply to the US sfi standards and not us the cams style /world wide standard.....this is a uneccessary cost to racers who already have saftey equipment that exceeds the australian standards.....should our rules accept and adopt the cams requirements for motor racing saftey euipment ? this way we have a level playing feild in our country with a easy purchase at our local race shops for suits/helments and hans devices along with possible support in the form of sponserships etc etc
momec3

Post by momec3 »

I have previously sung the same song but apparently God made America first?
Aparently SFI is a more specific std to what we do than FIA.
Others with more knowledge will help inform you better.
God bless America. :?

Chris
Chris
Rob

Post by Rob »

The way the rule reads, you need an SFI Spec 38.1 TYPE device, not one that has necessarily been SFI certified. That may well change in the future however.

I've been watching a while but hanging off on that one until I really need to spend the coin there.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.