Fire system question for motorcycle streamliner

Moderator: DLRA

JonB

Fire system question for motorcycle streamliner

Post by JonB »

Hi

For a streamliner doing 201+mph the rules state 11lbs minimum, over 5lbs for driver.

This ESS system is 5 litre, =5kg = 11lb.
http://www.essfire.com/5_0_liter.php

Does this comply?
If not does anyone recommend a supplier in Brisane?

It will be a while before I need to worry about complying with the 201+ rules but want to build at least some parts right the first time.

Thanks
Jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Dr Goggles

Re: Fire system question for motorcycle streamliner

Post by Dr Goggles »

No, not without a little fiddling. Aluminium lines aren't legal I dont think anymore.....

Others issues you may wish to consider are the issue of a secondary fire, or a contained fire.If you are trapped in the vehicle you might like to have a discreet system that serves the cockpit. Even if it is just a hand held with a sprung trigger( No I know it won't pass tech, it would be additional to the required amount) that you can use if you are trapped and still on fire.

There is a secondary issue with using a one shot cover all system........ In our car (mid engine , fuel tank at rear)we are fairly confident that it would be very unusual for the driver to be directly threatened...( I can can hear a growing sound of tut tuts and air being sucked through teeth) we don't want to be covered in slippery, blinding foam when we're in a hurry to get out if fire isn't an issue......think about it....."Am I on fire?..." press button, BOOOOF.........now you can't see, can't grip anything and may struggle to get the purchase to get out, steer or stop quickly........ IF you are in car where the engine is in front of you and there may be a huge fuel tank and other flammable substances in the bay then I reckon you'll know when you're on fire and if so I reckon it's be a good idea to get that stuff going ......but rear engined vehicles are different.

We have Aluminium cylinders and you need to know that AFFF will erode them. Aluminium oxide covers all raw aluminium and protects it from oxidization as it is insoluble, the AFFF is essentially a detergent which WILL dissolve Al2 O3 and thus the corrosion continues unabated, this also produces a goo that will clog the dip tube and stop the pressure vessel working, it may also corrode the dip tube, if there is a hole at the top of it it won't work either. Worse case scenario is it holes the cylinder, just like three of ours did.

I don't know whether a dose of Kream or red white and blue tank liner would fix the problem, only just thought of that.........

My suggestion is don't buy a fire system until the liner is finished and you are within six months of using it, then if the first event you try to run at is cancelled it will still be within cert when the next event comes around.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks for that, 2 separate system does make sense.

Does anyone make a 6lb kit?

Thanks
Jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

What I should have done was welcome you to the forum, hi good to have you here :D

And, I should have asked you to tell us what you're planning..... we could do with a few bike liners here.

There's lots of people who know their onions here , there's even more over at http://www.landracing.com/forum , they're just winding up the season there so in a few weeks they'll all be back hanging around the forum.

We run two 5kg bottles on separate systems, we used steel clutch tube to plumb it. I hope it works......there's an interesting issue........systems are pretty much DIY as long as you have the right quantity of extinguishant and proper nozzles.... I've tested ours at low pressure but not at 180psi or whatever the bottles are at.

But like I said don't buy anything early maybe you could pay a deposit on a system and they could lend you an empty while you are building ?????

So what is the build?
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks for the welcome.

Been a lurking member on here and landracing for a while.
Read your's and Reverend's bellytanker thread, it's a credit what you guys have done.

My project (pile of parts, dogeared rule book & heaps of sketches) is a around a CBR1000f.
I will be running in the gas class.

Hope to make it to Lake Gairdner next year to do some volunteering.
Optomistic target is some licensing runs in 2013.

Cheers
Jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

JON
Welcome
I see your in the vicinity of Brisbane :D
Drawing a lot pictures will save you some work in the long run.
Cold fire seems to be the preferd system to the tech inspectors., but alass nobody in Brisbane
sells or services them , the closest is motorsport conections in sydney.
Their 5 pound kits cost around $750.00 complete .. you will need 3 with a split
They will sell you an empty bottle by itself (make sure you get it with the fire head on it )
I've had the bottles apart ... they are a very thick wall unit with a fire head thread and size that will only fit their units.
I don't know of a six pound bottle that is made by any of the manufactures,,
If your close by make sure you come for a visit.
Ross...........
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Welcome aboard Jon

Good to see another race vehicle being built. Lots of planning and thought required for your kind of project. Its too easy to run out of space so it would be time well spent to drop round to see Ross's project. Hindsight is an excellent teacher so ask Ross what he would do different if he started again. Another bloke to study in this country is Lucky Keiser. Another original thinker and not afraid to challenge the norm. He has built a variety of streamliner bikes.

Chris
Chris
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Bob
Would be great if I could drop over for a look, quality bit of gear your making.
Im at Redcliffe so pretty easy to get over to yours.

Cheers
Jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Jon
PM sent.
See ya soon.....

Ross..
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.