OE wheel nut question...?

Moderator: DLRA

GeeTee

OE wheel nut question...?

Post by GeeTee »

I have a VW Beetle and rather than the OE wheel bolts, I intend to use similar dimension OE Kombi M14x1.5 wheel nuts on the Beetle hubs with screw-in studs installed. This not only makes servicing/maintenance easier, but satisfies the DLRA rules' intention of visible thread engagement with wheel nuts and studs.

However, there is some mention in the rules: "The smallest part of the hex of a lug nut shall be larger than the largest part of the taper of the mounting" which is impossible to comply with using OE VW Kombi wheel nuts.

Can I rely on the 'wheels designed for racing' rule using alloy wheels recommended and approved for Formula Vee racing, despite the fact this DLRA rule (2G) is clearly intended for wheels of 17 inches or more in diameter and/or tyres of more than 29 inches in diameter?

The Formula Vee approved wheels are 15-inch.

I cannot (and to be honest, will not and refuse to, due to "butchering") comply with the requirement for 1/4-inch washers under the nuts on 'non-ferrous' (alloy) wheels with a ball profile taper for the nuts.
JonB

Re: OE wheel nut question...?

Post by JonB »

Rules, don't have to like them, just need to comply with them.

What size is the taper on your combi rims?
I have some 14mm wheel nuts laying around, I think theyre 22mm hex if that helps.

jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
GeeTee

Post by GeeTee »

yeah and that is what I am trying to do. However the rules seem to require or encourage some plainly unsafe (outdated?) practices and I'd rather put my butt in a safe vehicle built with established automotive engineering/trade procedures.

I'm under 200MPH.
Steel valve stems and caps - no worries.
Open-ended nuts with adequate engagement - no worries.
Road tyres with speed rating - cool.

I'm running four-stud 15-inch wheels. This is less than 17-inch wheel/ 29 inch tyre diameter where wheels need to be "manufactured for racing" or "reinforced" and attached with five wheel studs. No worries.

The worry is: I would like to use my alloy wheels (an aftermarket road wheel accepted elsewhere for competition) but these wheels will not physically accept anything but the OE VW 19mm steel nuts with a ball seat profile. Any other attachment method - such as washers under the nuts - defies common sense.

"Large OD heavy gauge washers under all lug nuts" for non-ferrous wheels AND the requirement for large-ish wheel nuts is contradicted later in the same paragraph: "Lug nuts shall torque totally against a wheels tapered surface."

So what is correct?

If a 22mm M14x1.5 nut with a ball profile exists (thanks for the tip!) I will try to source for my steel wheels as back-up.

But my alloy wheels are designed to be used with 19mm ball profile nuts and to do otherwise is silly. I really hope common sense prevails here!
Last edited by GeeTee on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

The ruling for the large washers under lug nuts on alloy rims is aimed at Centreline/Weld style rims.
If you have purpose built racing rims (your formula Vee wheels),and they locate with a tapered lug nut,they will be Ok.But you must ensure the 5/8" (16mm)thread engagement,

Bob,
(Chief Car Inspector)
GeeTee

Post by GeeTee »

Bob thanks for that - all good