Nirous oxide attachment for a bike

Moderator: DLRA

kermitracing

Nirous oxide attachment for a bike

Post by kermitracing »

Hi to the bike scrutineers,
Now that the event is back on I thought I had better get a second and informed desicion on the insalation of my nitrous. Please see attached images.
Note lanyard kill switch for nitrous + I will have another off switch on the console clealy marked in white on red background.
Stainless steel clamps with nylock nuts to clamp the bottle directly on to a 5mm aluminum plate bolted directly to the rear passenger peg bracket. If that breaks you be sending me home in a shoe box!
Thankyou in advance.
Cheers Paul
Attachments
BIKE IMAGE_03-Nitrous Mount Profile.jpg
BIKE IMAGE_03-Nitrous Mount Profile.jpg (166.1 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
BIKE IMAGE_02-Nitrous Mounting Bracket.jpg
BIKE IMAGE_02-Nitrous Mounting Bracket.jpg (174.55 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
BIKE IMAGE_01.jpg
BIKE IMAGE_01.jpg (173.4 KiB) Viewed 15464 times
ROSS BROWN

Re: Nirous oxide attachment for a bike

Post by ROSS BROWN »

PAUL.....
Unless I'm missing part of the picture.... THAT BRACKET NEEDS IMPROVEMENT.....
Kawasaki "waisted " the back of that rear footpeg bracket in an effort to loose weight , and now you have gone
and drilled three holes in it... My thinking is .... if that bike falls of it's side stand that bracket " WILL " break...
Myself I would like to see the bottle within the confiments of the frame rails or at least the rear sub frame...
I am an assistant scrutineer and not the "Chief technical inspector" ....so this is an opinion only....
What you have needs a minimum of rear mount as well as what you have .. the leverage on those three bolts is to great... and the head of the bottle is yet to be protected ! as per the rules.
Dont forget your metal chain guard while you are at it...

BE SAFE .... HAVE FUN ....

Ross...
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
kermitracing

Post by kermitracing »

Hi Ross, Thanks for your comments. I am supprised, as the rear pillion bracket is cast 4mm thick C section aluminum in a triangular shape with 4 x 5mm scocket head screws going through 10mm thick nylon spacer into a 5mm thick aircraft grade aluminum.
The C section rear pillion bracket is 4mm the subframe it bolts on to is 3.5mm aluminum. Short of hitting it with a sledge hammer I would be supprised if it would break, bend but not break, repeated hits would. Have some knowledge of metal as I have metal casting business and am a toolmaker by trade. Granted you are right about the high flow valve. Had thought about welding an extention onto the bottle bracket with a hinged cap to swing over the valve locked into position with a split pin. Some feedback would be good as it is difficult to interperate these regs. without valuable guidence. Got the metal chain guard, just have'nt got around to bolting on. Just while I got your attention I noticed some queries regarding leather jackets and pants with fabric panels are you able to shed some light on this?
Once again appreciate your response.
Cheers Paul
JonB

Post by JonB »

I think Ross is trying to help.
You can't mount the bottle somewhere less exposed?
Fair bit easier at home than on the lake if tech don't like it.

If you pm DaveB he talked with tech re leathers a fair bit and ended up getting a onepiece with no fabric panels or vent holes custom made for a pretty fair price.

Looks pretty reasonable with double stitching in the important areas.

Cheers
Jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
kermitracing

Post by kermitracing »

Hi Jon, Yes I understand Ross,s observations and appreciate his concerns so rather than run the risk of not being able to race I will change the mounting of the bottle and swing it closer in line with the subframe + will make the bracket bolt directly to the subframe rather than the rear pillion bracket. This will bring the bottle closer into the rear wheel. There is no other place to locate a bottle. All the space in the tail section is taking up with computers, solonoids, braided lines etc. Nearly all bottles are located in this position on the opposite side to the exhaust as they can not be near a heat source due to incresing pressure problems, nitrous is very heat sensitive. The leather suit is a problem as i paid out $900.00 last year to upgrade my leathers based on the decription in the 2011 rule book and now that suit with special fabric and breathable sections is possible not compliant its somewhat dissapointing. I checked out the thread that was running on the leather race suits but could not see any diffinative answer. Possible mods comming up on the suit as well.
Cheers Paul
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Paul....
IN the near future you will be sitting in the shed having a beer and talking to your bike...(we all do it... :wink: )
You need to ask the bike one question?
Do you want to be a , street bike , or a "SALT FLATS RACER"
Depending on the personality and the temprament of the said machine.. (mine are usually sarcastic :roll: )
The answer will be...
LISTEN HERE HALF WIT.... I've got somewhere in the vicinity of 200 horse power ,im breathing nitrous oxide, I can do 100 mph in first gear ....I'm green , I'm mean and I'm nothing but a racing machine... and you want to ride me on the steet.... :evil:
Your answer to that....
Yes but if I turn you into a full on "SALT FLATS RACER" you will have no resale value..... :?
The machines plausable answer to that.....
Now ya want to sell me Ya F#$%#@n A@%#%#&e.....

.... Keep the machine happy or it will bite.......

Paul ....Once the decision has been made to dedicate the bike to the sport ,the building of brackets and parts become much easier... the removal of all those usless street orentated parts can gleefully be tossed in the bin or sold on flea bay..
leaving plenty of room for more important things such as lead weights or nitrous bottles....

The rules are constantly evolving as such ... that in the not to distant future .. I can see the nitrous bottle mounting rule
being changed to something like ..... the bottle or it's brackets shall not be allowed to come in contact with the racing surface....meaning that the bottle will have to be mounted inside the rear subframe ... thus being the safest possible place for the bottle and greatest protection for the flow valve .

Just a thought... enjoy the sport....
Ross....
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey Kermit
Go through the lethers posts again-- I'm sure it says nomex underwear is ok to use.
I am using the nomex instead of an innersute
cheers Bones
kermitracing

Post by kermitracing »

Hi Ross and Bones,
Ross you are right about "who the bike currently is" I would suggest it is in the transition stage from street
to dry lake racer. Having not raced on salt yet I can not commit totaly to the sport for all the obvious reasons. Once I have that experience I am sure the bike will tranform into a dedicated slat lake racer it should be. Re reading the short paragraph dcedicted to nitrous on bikes it calls for a strong bracket, shut off valve to be crash protected which I am in the middle of doing and also replacing the pillion bracket with a newly fashioned purpose built bracket. Ideally in following years the nitrous will be buried in a special tail piece which I have yet to design, unfortunatley the stock one is crammed currently with computers, solonoids, braided lines etc. not much room left for a bottle.

Bones thanks for the tip on the Nomex. Have current fire rated underwear FIA 8856-2000 not sure this is approved but it complies with all sports rider competitve races that I have attended in Tassie its says fire retardent cotton?
Cheers Paul