which wheels?

Moderator: DLRA

walkingpace

which wheels?

Post by walkingpace »

As usual I apologise if this is a stupid question or if the answer is staring me in the face but......

Where does everyone get their wheels? I know there is a general tendency to use the same thing (15x4.5 steelies with 4.5" PCD) but where does one come across such an item? There's no shortage of steel wheels with the correct stud pattern but they're all quite a bit wider than 4.5"

Any assistance will be rewarded with great respect and appreciation. No money though. The car has dibs on all of it...
Stayt`ie

Re: which wheels?

Post by Stayt`ie »

im a bike bloke, but, i think some use Volzwagon rims, :?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Any wheel manufacturer can weld a centre into an off the shelf rim. There is one advertised in the newsletter. It gets tricky when you want to use 5/8" studs and be able to swap between steel wheels and alloy wheels as they are different thicknesses and centre differently. A flat seat or a tapered seat also causes problems. I have Weld wheels at the moment with the big studs but would like to move to a steel wheel now that the weight of the car is up over 2,200kg. I may have to machine up a thick spacer to weld onto the wheel to add thickness. All fun and games. I haven't started looking around but before I took the easy option of alloy wheels the steel wheel manufacturers wanted nearly $400.00 per rim. Half inch sizes caused a problem because they need to cut and shut. Let me know how you go and who you use as I would be interested.
GAZ
JonB

Post by JonB »

I got the ones for my bike made at Race Engineering in Rocklea (Brisvegas)
http://www.raceengineering.com.au/

I think they have done a few DLRA wheels and advertise in the DLRA newsletter.

Cheers
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Yeah Jon, Race engineering have done mine for several vehicles and Bobs.
These days alloys are cheaper than custom steel.
Just the way it is......

Chris
Chris
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Thanks for the help. Looks like alloy might be the way to go then.

Cheers
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I think you may have misinterpreted what Chris meant. Yes the alloy wheel is cheaper and easier but it depends on the application.With most of our cars here I don't think it matters but steel wheels are stronger and that should be driver with heavy, fast vehicles, not $$. Unless you go for megabuck custom alloy 18" wheels like Norm's taxi I think steel rims are the way to go.
GAZ
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Thanks for that Gaz. Whilst the weight of the car is not yet known it is not likely to exceed 1000kg. In fact it will most likely be quite a bit less than that. Our goal for speed is 200MPH (isn't everyones) however the actual result again is likely to be quite a bit less than that. Whilst I don't have mega $$$ to spend, cost isn't as big a factor as convenience. I live just north of Sydney so I will need to find a local wheel bloke who is able to do the work. It seems as soon as you mention dry lakes racing automotive expert types start drawing breath through their teeth before finding the quickest excuse to get out of the conversation (I also had this problem racing classic bikes). Everyone seems afraid to back their products for anything other than ordinary road use.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I dropped into the new shop of Neale wheels in Narellan yesterday and the boys there were more than helpful. I think if you know what you talking about and know what you want they will feel a lot more comfortable. I think I am confident enough with them so far that I will use them once I get some prices.
Gaz
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

4.5inch and 5 inch VW rims with AU centres here, Neway Wheels in Heidelberg Vic, they didn't weld them all the way round at first, took em back no probs seem to remember something like $140 each , might have been twice that I can't remember.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..