Snell Approved Helmets

Moderator: DLRA

gazza414

Snell Approved Helmets

Post by gazza414 »

Hawkwind / Gary ... just posted off today to ys an interesting technical article on motorcycle helmet testing. This is of great interest to not only everyday riders but us guys on the salt . The article was published June 2005 out of the USA.
Look forward to hearing your comments on here .
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
SPOOK

snell helmet tests

Post by SPOOK »

I too have read the article and came to the conclusion that my new helmet that I have already purchased would not have the Snell standard.
I am happy with the Ozzy AS1698 standard and ask the club not to change
to Snell until the decision makers have read the fourteen page article in
June MOTOR CYCLIST USA 2005 or WWW.MOTORCYCLISTONLINE.COM
Following the Americans in all things is not always a wise move.
hawkwind racing

Interesting

Post by hawkwind racing »

Gazza I look forward to reading this article :)

Spook an interesting article , but you have things arse about ,the DLRA from its inception has used the SCTA rules ,its these rules that make it manditory to use a "Snell" approved helmet , several years ago the DLRA produced its own rule book ,which is almost verbatum of the SCTA rules and snell helmets are what is required ,as of 2006 a snell 2000 or greater approval is required to run at Lake Gairdner , I have argued for the acceptance of the AS1698 standard and hopefully it can be accepted in the future along with all major helmet standards , we ( racing committee ) are in the process of upgrading the current rules and Im sure this will be looked at , but please be aware it will not happen overnight .
I am reviewing all of the motorcycle rules with emphasis on safety,as I believe there will be many racers exceeding 200 mph in the not to distant future .
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
gazza414

Postie

Post by gazza414 »

Should be in the box at your house Mondee or Tuesday Gary
cheers
Gazza
Very much the apprentice
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

I read the article on the motorcycle web page, and it looks to me that in a car, the SNELL is probably not a bad thing, in that you are likely to get multiple hits in the same spot from either the roll bar setup or the car body. For a bike, I am inclined to agree with the article, that the SNELL standard is probably not what you need. Anything that is goin to split a helmet is likely to be unsurvivable anyway.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

John, the article is good in so far as understanding the std's and also how and if they are applicable, also the marketing power of branding.

Gary , did your postman arrive as yet??
Very much the apprentice
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Thanks Gazza recieved the mail and digested , I also went to the Snell site http://www.smf.org/ and ploughed through there tech /science section and they have equally compelling case for their standards
my personal opinion is that any of the standards mentioned ,including the Aussie one will provide a safe and reliable helmet within the designed testing standards ( im talking full face type ). another point I need to mention is that even though the DLRA calls for the Snell 2000 approval ,when I check your helmet I have no prior knowledge of its history , and its intregerity ( has it been droped or damaged in some way ) again my personal opinion , racing is potentially fatal and its your but on the line and your decision on the suitability of your personal safety gear and what condition its in ,I can only be guided by what I examine at the time of checking and ticking it off against a rule ie snell 2000 .
I can see a valid point on cost, generally "Snell approved " helmets are substancially more expensive than "non snell approved " but are they any poorer in quallity or safety ? depends which propaganda you believe , I found the cheapest snell 2000 to be an AGV under $300
Let the debate begin
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
SPOOK

Snell Approved Helmuts

Post by SPOOK »

Hawkwind; Prior to retiring from motor cycle racing I was a steward for the ACUV, the organizing body for motor cycle sport in Vic.. At race meetings one of my duties was to inspect riders helmuts for damage after accidents. If they were damaged even in the most minor way I would not return them, the reason being because I took an intense interest in head/brain injuries and comparing helmet damage.Some riders after a minor spill wanted to paint over small scratches not knowing that the most important part of helmet construction is the inner lining material that has a progressive crush ability to cushion the impact of the brain flying sideways toward the outer shell creating brain damage. To this day I still suffer from memory loss as a result of brain damage due to a motor cycle accident many years ago. In my opinion I consider the Snell standard not as safe as the Australian standard 1698 for motorcycle competion but we should include the Australian standard as soon as possible. For those who wish to use a Snell helmet by all means allow them but for others like myself allow the alternative AS1698. Cheers Russell the Spook.
SPOOK

Snell helmet safety

Post by SPOOK »

We all know that in all forms of motor sport at some period of time there will be a bad accident. Thank goodness it has not happened to DLRA, but in the future it may. Whether it be minor or serious, as is the way nowdays litigation rears its ugly head. It has happened to both CAMS and Motorcycling Australia in the last few years. We at DLRA must be very vigilant with inspection of vechicles and personal safety gear because in the case of an accident the responsibility for a safe racing enviroment rest with the club and its officials. The debate regarding helmet safety standards has far reaching ramifications.
Thes are my thoughts on the subject, hopw to see you all next weekend, cheers Russell the Spook.
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Does anyone know whether or not this very issue was discussed at the lastest DLRA meeting that took place a couple of weekends ago???

Very interested to learn the outcomes if any??
Very much the apprentice
SPOOK

snell helmets

Post by SPOOK »

GAZZA Both Greg W and myself spoke in favour of AS1698 Standard helmets being included with the Snell Standed so that motorcyclists or anyone else have a choice to use either type they so desire.Do you agree?
Cheers Spook
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

From the information that I have read and discussions with Greg and Gary Baker it would appear that the Snell std is not required exclusively for Motorcycle applications. Information supplied by both Greg and Gary B support this.

Thanks to yourself and Greg for attending and bringing the information to the formal notice of the committee.
Very much the apprentice
SPOOK

Post by SPOOK »

HAWKEY It looks like most of the serious riders are happy to have AS1698 added to the safety Regs. as a choice in future. As a member of the safety committee could lobby on our behalf to have the rule modified as soon as possible as I know you are in agreeance also. I am sure it could be done by 2006. Could it?. Cheers Spook.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Further to all the talk on motor bike helmets, is anyone looking in to car helmets going to the AUS standard?
For people looking for new helmets and dont want to get 2000 rated snell, I have seen that snell 2005 rated helments wont be released untill October 2005

Norman
Gnome Racing
Six in a row the only way to go.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Norm
Although i am in favor of the Australian standards for the bikes, i do think the Snell is better for the car drivers.
Snell has stringent requirements for coping with 2 big hits in the same place, something extremely unlikley on a bike but nearly certain in a car.
If a car were rolled multiple impacts with the roll cage are going to happen.