Crosswinds

Moderator: DLRA

David Leikvold

Crosswinds

Post by David Leikvold »

As a safety enhancement for 2016 my brother and I are considering making a dozen or more windsocks so that drivers on either course can have a good idea of what the wind is up to where they are, not just at the start line. We will use the chequered flag on the timing van again but we hope to have our own weather station so we can provide accurate wind speed and direction information.

Much as I love streamliners, I think we should have a wind limit on when they can run. We will have good binoculars next year so we will be able to see all the windsocks to the horizon and in conjunction with Animal, be able to decide if it is safe to let a streamliner run.

I would be happy to have them come to the start line and wait to one side for a priority run when conditions are safe.

Comments and suggestions please

Chief Starter Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec3

Re: Crosswinds

Post by momec3 »

Good idea Dave,
I am making a suggestion the club purchase a weather station for the timing van area also. They are not expensive for a basic version we require.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

While I'm at it, a few thoughts about design of special construction vehicles (SCV). It seems to me that most are designed with scant regard for the possibility of a serious crash. All in the name of aerodynamic efficiency, cockpits are narrow, small and hard to get in and out of. Imagine, if you will, that you are unconscious, injured and your rescuers cannot know what injuries you might have and cannot get you out without causing you more injury.

The rules should be regarded as just a starting point. I want to recommend to anyone planning to build an SCV that you design it with a canopy that exposes the whole cockpit when it is lifted. See the JCB Dieselmax as a good example. Have the canopy removable from outside without any help from the driver. Next design a hinged section of the frame from the dashboard to the pedals that can also be removed without tools so that when it is gone access to the driver is uncompromised. The steering column would go with it.

The final part of this plan is to have the driver sitting in what could be described as a "bath tub". This would go from helmet to toes and be made with ballistic kevlar and fibreglass. This tub would be held in place by the driver's harness and a couple of clips near the driver's feet. Reinforced holes for the harness to easily pass through the tub would be needed. The tub would also have reinforced slot hand holds so that rescuers could lift the front end and then slide the whole thing straight out without moving the driver at all, thus eliminating any further injury. If it was built with a flat back to rest on the salt with the foot end elevated, CPR could be administered without having to first remove the driver from the tub.

Comments and suggestions please.

Chief Starter Dave
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Comment re the weather station

Please keep me in the loop with any plans regarding this as we may/(probably) be able to incorporate the data into the timing system so that the environmentals get databased with the timing info for each run.

Regards
Lynchy
BONES

Post by BONES »

Dave,
A quick look at the rules reveals the canopy must be able to be opened from inside AND outside without tools
I think that introducing a HINGE into the chassis is no good-- it's taking away strength and rigidity.
But a movable frame with the handlebars or steering wheel is good and often used.

A removable seat in a 'liner is probably a good idea if done correctly---some more thought
The tender vehicle chasing the 'liner should have the necessary tools and someone who knows how to remove the bodywork from around the rollcage

At Bonneville there is a wind speed at which 'liners cannot run.

Lynchy-
how far away are we from getting a printed time card with all the incriments

cheers Bones
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Yes need the incriments. I agree.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Bones,
Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure that I explained the lift off section of the chassis properly. What I meant was that the top section of the frame would lift up like the canopy, but not with it. The sides of the chassis and the floor would be welded in as normal and not be removable.

I think it would also be a good idea for these cars to be inspected by the Fire and Rescue crews so they knew how the car came apart well before they might need to know.

Dave
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

incriments, definatly :!: ,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Pretty sure the tight fit with padding is necessary so you dont get too much momentum,
maybe more specific safety gear for the emergency vehicle ?

The US system of observers at the mile markers helps if wind is doubtful , have often asked for a wind report and get sometimes 5 or 6 very different answers , but it helps heaps to judge what the wind will be doing when you get to the high speed part of the track
and i do like the weather station info on the time slip , from previous experiance i know i am uncomfortable with wind any more than quartering above 6mph
Gusts or whirlwinds are another thing altogether , probably need smoke to get any warning of them
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

We have already started working towards improvements to the timing system for the next event. I'll be working with quite a few people to determine the improvements that need to be made to the system software and database to make it better than it currently is. I'll start a new thread soon to ask for improvements that people would like to see. A short list would be:
Speed through all traps
Weather data
Ease of loading data into system
ease of changing out vehicle (next to run) in a hurry

We're also working on speeding up the transfer of data from starter to timer by possibly moving the timers to the start line. This will reduce radio chatter. There's a lot of procedural work to be documented and there is a lot of information behind all the changes we want to make. Basically we want to speed up the flow, reduce radio chatter, improve the timing app, provide better speed info to the punters as it occurs or just after and a bunch of other stuff. We will prioritise what needs to be done and focus on the changes that speed up throughput and reduce stress in the timing van - yes, it is a stressful place.

Regards
Lynchy
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Paul,

One number only per Driver/Rider, Class, Vehicle. As done at Bonneville.

Remove the need to state if its a Licence, a record or a chute. All this fluff is of no interest to the Timer and slows radio transmission down immensely.

Example of required radio chatter,
Starter to timer; next vehicle #251
Rescue; Tracks clear;
Timer to Starter; Send # 251.
End of story. Make the software accept this and we save huge amounts of time per run.

The timing van is better where it is at the moment. Thats where the lights are if you have issues to fix, moving to the startline will introduce new delays.
Radio education is the next thing. So we all speak the same lingo. Most of us only pic up a mike once a year so a few pointers and a cheat sheet of what to say and not to say would make a big difference.

My 2 cents.
Chris
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

momec3 wrote:Paul,

One number only per Driver/Rider, Class, Vehicle. As done at Bonneville.

Remove the need to state if its a Licence, a record or a chute. All this fluff is of no interest to the Timer and slows radio transmission down immensely.

My 2 cents.
Happy to move to one number so long as teams like yours where there are multiple drivers of a vehicle in the same class will still need to display their individual vehicle number when they are in that vehicle. With no other numbers visible.

Vehicle Number = Entry Number = Member Number + Class

To run a second class is a totally new entry. There is still a need to allocate a new entry number. We can't just use the next member number because there is rules about using another members number. Therefore we still need to create a temporary number, so we would continue with the "9" prefix as its easy for entrants to make the change, so long as they remember to add the prefix and update the class details which I know in the excitement of competition does not happen.

Will need to talk to Paul about how this will work with the timing system. At the moment the timing system works off numbers only. One number for the driver/rider and another number for the vehicle and class.

Regards the fluff
There are officials who need to be made aware of licencing runs and parachute pulls so that they are properly observed and that there is compliance with the rules and regulations.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Understand the fluff but my point is it eats time. Is there another way to relay this info? Ever run is a record run. Eliminates that for one. Only 175 licence is a chute most times.

Why not you issue the competition number when entry is received? A unique number per combo?
Not a problem with our team. Not married to any number. We had 7 numbers on the door this time. I was confused. Tapeing, un-tapeing. The starter had no idea which was driver and which was vehicle number. It had to be verbally confirmed each time.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Chris,
You're right, there's no point in mentioning record pass. I will delete that column on next year's run sheets. I would so love just announcing a single number. If the plan comes to fruition we might just enter that number straight into a laptop and not need a radio call. Ultimately I'd like to be able to not needing radio calls for anything but unusual stuff.

The QTA meeting should be very valuable.

Cheers
Dave
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I wanted to avoid a long discussion on the forum as typing it all takes a lot of time. My ideas re speeding up runs and reducing radio chatter along with correct data being input are along these lines:

Move the timing van to the start line - this allows the starters assistants to walk over with a page outlining the next X runs which the timer can input prior to any run. This reduces radio chat to 0 for driver #, vehicle #, class etc. We modify the timing app so we can preload multiple vehicles (not just one) and tick the next vehicle to run which selects it into the timing app. If a reshuffle happens then we just tick the vehicle that is next to run and the delayed vehicle is still logged for when it does run. There is more to this than just moving the van, other changes are needed to make this happen and keep things safe. A spotter/s would still need to be positioned where the van was. This spotter/s would be known as the Track Controller and would act as traffic control for both tracks so 2 people may be needed. They have ultimate control over the next run.

Make changes to the timing app - as per above, but with other improvements (weather data, bla bla bla) all aimed at making it more user friendly.

Reduce radio chatter - if the van is moved and the Track Controllers are adopted then radio chat the becomes:
- Southern Rescue - "track clear"
- Track Controller - "Starter send next vehicle down Track x"
- starter - 1st action = release the next vehicle and then advise "vehicle 418 is on course, it's the green Jag of Big Gaz and is running long course". This is done when the vehicle has left the line and therefore is wasting 0 time announcing who or what it is and what it is doing.
- Timers - no radio calls at all. They know that 418 was next as they were given a run sheet by the starters. If 418 was delayed because Big Gaz was checking out his makeup and 379 was on course instead the starter would announce "bike 379 on course, it's Greg Watters running long course". They would see that this was out of sequence and select 379 as next runner instead of 418. The timers would also call out the speeds through timing traps but do so on UHF ch10 so that the punters can hear it as can the Track Controller over a second radio that they carry. This way the TC will know where the vehicle is on the course as it will be announced.

Re having to go fix lights - this is a delay anyway and driving an extra 2 miles doesn't take that long + the TC could be trained to act on this. The TC would need a vehicle and would also be mobile in case of emergency to check for debris, fix timers, etc.

Re radio chatter - it is minimised with the above procedure. Calls for speed of the last vehicle can be handled on UHF ch10 or can be handled with some other techy ideas I have. I will present some new ideas at the next committee meeting and once I have written them up will post up here as well.

There is a lot to do and we have already started. A lot of the ideas that have been put forth require changes to the timing app or to procedures but they will work if all aspects of the change are implemented.

I think if the timing van is moved it will remove pressure off the timers and it will become an admin position. The Track Controller needs to be someone responsible but they only need to operate a radio and not all the timing gear. The timers need to be able to relax a bit and do a single job and not 3 or 4 other ones as well.

Edit - thought of one of the other advantages after posting. If the Timing van is moved to the start line, they will also act as observers for the start of the course. If a bike decides to abandon run and head back to the pits (as they do), the timers can call it out over the radio to the TC. The starter is focussing on the next vehicle after he lets one go and is not necessarily watching what happens down course.

Whaddayathink?
Lynchy