Parachute questions

Moderator: DLRA

Reverend Hedgash

Parachute questions

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

OK, so it's time to start thinking about the parachute for the Belly Tank. Not expecting to go over 174mph next year but good to plan it in now hey?

My avatar on the left shows the rear end of our tank.

We are having our exhaust pipe come out at exactly the rear tip of our tank (poot) and so wish to mount the parachute above or below this and get it into the body as much as possible.

Who can recommend what parachutes and why?

Who are the Australian distributors that you can recommend?

Who makes the parachutes that go in the tube?

What else do we need to know?

Tanks.

rH+
Last edited by Reverend Hedgash on Wed May 03, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA Member#412
Sumner

Re: Parachute questions

Post by Sumner »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:OK, so it's time to start thinking about the parachute for the Belly Tank. Not expecting to go over 174mph next year but good to plan it in now hey?

My avatar on the left shows the rear end of our tank.

We are having our exhaust pipe come out at exactly the rear tip of our tank (poot) and so wish to mount the tank above or below this and get it into the body as much as possible.

Who can recommend what parachutes and why?

Who are the Australian distributors that you can recommend?

Who makes the parachutes that go in the tube?

What else do we need to know?

Tanks.

rH+

Hey guys good to see you making progress :D . I've only been home 4 weeks out of the past 8 and only got to work on the car 1 and 1/2 days :cry:

Over here the two main suppliers for LSR chutes or Deist and Stroud. I'll probably go with Stroud. He wants to know the car type, weight, anticipated speed and maybe some other info before he designs a chute for your car. I "would not" use a drag chute. Much too sever of an opening for what we are doing.

I'll probably get my chute from Stroud. You might think about ordering one and taking it home in August if you are still coming. He could send it to me and I could get it to you at my place or on the salt. He and others recommend a tube 6 inches by 36 inches (I'll let you convert :) ).

Here is another option. This lakester has the chute in a pack, like is usually used on the back of a car. When the door opens the chute is ejected up into the air stream and opens. The owner said it was quite reliable. Looks like it might work with your body style. Also if you use the tube would it maybe be better aero wise to put it where you have the exhaust planned and do something else with it?

There is another picture ( HERE ).

If you need any phone number, addresses or any other help over here let me know.

c ya, Sum
[b][url=http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillecarindexpage.html]Lakester Construction[/url][/b]

[b][url=http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html]1FATGMC[/url][/b]
Reverend Hedgash

shoot!

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Thanks Sum,

sounds like good advice. I really like the trap door option for neatness, simplicity and aero.

Can you tell me whose car that is? I don't seem to have it on my file, it looks pretty neat.

John Lynch's belly tank here has a chute positioned on the back of its body in a binnacle similar to this but doesn't have the doors, it just sits in its bag in the recess. It feels a bit backpacky for me. Top car though. (It turned up this year with a different shade of blue and some different fonts and it looked a completely different shape. Funny how much of a difference some minor paint changes can make.)

I presume the one you showed is operated by having a springloaded base that pushes the chute against the doors which are opened when pulling the cable?

Do you know if it sits in its bag in the recess or goes commando?

Thanks for the info.

Rev. H+

As for going to Bonneville this year, the girlfriend's sister is having a bloody baby during the week that we are meant to be going (obviously she didn't read my email about the LSR permitted calendar for conception...) and so that means SWMBO can't go which is threatening my going...!

Ben James and a few others are planning to take their bikes over the following year, so maybe it would be better to save the money and help them with their efforts rather than a solo. Also might be able to get the good Dr Goggles to get off his arse and save up for a passport.
DLRA Member#412
Sumner

Re: shoot!

Post by Sumner »

Reverend Hedgash wrote:Can you tell me whose car that is? I don't seem to have it on my file, it looks pretty neat.........

...........I presume the one you showed is operated by having a springloaded base that pushes the chute against the doors which are opened when pulling the cable?

Do you know if it sits in its bag in the recess or goes commando?

I don't know who's car it is. It was in line with us going to the starting line. I really need to start taking a picture of the car number to go along with the other pictures so I "do know" who's car it is. If you end up not going this year :cry: I'll try and find out if you still need the info. Send me a reminder near to speed week. Problem is with 400 entries there spread out over about 1/2 mile of pits you don't always see everyone. I'll post the question under the pictures on my web site and see if anyone responds.

I didn't get to see the chute with the door open, but think (and maybe the one picture shows it) that the chute is in a regular chute bag. Those bags have a spring in them usually, so I assume that they are using that to launch the chute. Usually your release cable holds the end of the bag shut until you pull it. In this case they might "stuff" the chute in the bag and fold over the ends of the bag and close the door to hold it all together. I considered this approach, but the back of my car will look more like the back of Ack Attack.

Hope you still get to come this year, but I understand how things come up. You had better be here next year for sure. One thing coming with a team is that if you are an intricate part of the team you won't get to see near as much on the salt as being a spectator. They both have their benifits :D .

c ya, Sum
[b][url=http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillecarindexpage.html]Lakester Construction[/url][/b]

[b][url=http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html]1FATGMC[/url][/b]
Sumner

Post by Sumner »

Here is some more info on the car and an e-mail address to contact the owners:

http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1187

Let me know if this didn't work,

Sum

Dr Goggles

Clean Linen

Post by Dr Goggles »

Geez you're a whiz Sum' thanks for all that organisation to find that out and find Guy and Co who own that Jalopy.....nice work , thanks.

....we're inching ahead on the tank....(proto)gearshift last weekend and a half finished scattershield....

must be starting to warm up there?

Gr Doggles
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..