Bike build requirements

Moderator: DLRA

SteveThumpn

Bike build requirements

Post by SteveThumpn »

Hi folks, noob question time. :roll:
I am not yet a DLRA member as i have a lot of work to do yet before even thinking of a lake appearance, but this is my question - before i cut frame and steering stuff up and modify, weld etc I would like to know more about 4.5.7 Tech. requirements as copied from DLRA rulebook below;

( Steering Suspension and frame: All steering,
suspension, and control linkage components and
frames must comply with 4.5.7 Technical
Requirements, unless clearly not applicable to
motorcycle configurations.)

Should I know about this before i do anything, and indeed get my hands on greater explanation of technical requirements than those given for bikes from the rulebook?

Any advice welcomed :idea: :?
Its going to take some time.... But the only hurry i like is when the wheels are aturning.
Project; special construction 500cc motorcycle on gas and at the lake eventually.
hawkwind racing

new rules

Post by hawkwind racing »

Steve you need the new bike rules ,so give me your email addy and I will send a copy over to you , read them and then get in touch and i will point ya in the right direction .
Gary
motorcycle tech bloke :wink:
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
SteveThumpn

Post by SteveThumpn »

Thanks Gary will do,
This is a modest project at first with a low engine capacity to see how the whole concept shapes up for maybe more power later.
I have always been interested in parabolic curves given by quadratic functions for wind resistance and aerodynamic efficiency, they seem to work so well in so many areas of nature and applied science, in the water too.
Steve
Its going to take some time.... But the only hurry i like is when the wheels are aturning.
Project; special construction 500cc motorcycle on gas and at the lake eventually.
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Is your avatar your project?
If so looks good...
Do tell more...

Rev.H+
DLRA Member#412
SteveThumpn

Post by SteveThumpn »

Hi hon. Rev,
Well sort of, the avatar is an older concept draft. Now that i have made more time to work at the concept and a little theory- this bike will be my first attempt at this sport- i am learning that design might be never ending specially once a proper start can be made.

Engine is a tourqey single cylinder suzuki unit that spins nicely for a thumper, it pushes the very un-aerodynamic production bike to almost 100MPH in stock form, so i will most likely be happy to see how the whole concept works with the production engine at first and what gains can be made in speed with gearing/frame/aero or if the thing might be a deathtrap. :shock:

Learning a lot from forum, im gonna need it !!!!!!!!! So i feel obliged to have DLRA membership when funds allow. And also a learning expedition to Lake Gairdner is a priority too. :)
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Steve ,dustbin fairings are a no -no mate for solo motorcycles , send me an email lsr350@hotmail.com and Ill send ya the new rules ,before you make something I will have to knock back :wink:
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
SteveThumpn

Post by SteveThumpn »

hawkwind racing wrote:Steve ,dustbin fairings are a no -no mate for solo motorcycles

I have an inclination why this may be, and can not afford to fail scrutineering down the track so the rules are the most important thing at this stage.

I will probably be like the annoying kid that always says "but why ?"

and "are we there yet?" :lol:
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

G'day Steve,

A trip to Speed Week before making frame cuts or spending dosh is smart.
You'll meet great people and see awe inspiring machinery. And it's only nine months away!
Yikes, back to the shed.

If you join up soon you'll get the next newsletter which is an important one. There's a club meeting in a couple of weeks. Lots of discussion about next year's event. All this is published in the newsletter soon after the meeting - important reading.

Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
SteveThumpn

Post by SteveThumpn »

[quote="PJQ2"]G'day Steve,

A trip to Speed Week before making frame cuts or spending dosh is smart.
You'll meet great people and see awe inspiring machinery. And it's only nine months away!
Yikes, back to the shed.

It all sounds like good advice to a lake noob like me PJQ2, i have the basicl bike platform and no shortage of advice (as always) and the inevitable shortage of funds, but i feel that the longer i take collating info, and developing this kind of project at such a modect cc the better the final outcome might be - as i get older i will weigh less :lol: . I do not wish to learn from the heartbrake and dramas of fellow speedsters, but i am willing to without shame :) :D
Steve