traction

Moderator: DLRA

ben james

Post by ben james »

i know what you mean gary, but thats the bike i've got and i have to work with it. it's a really fun project and i loved riding it at the lake this year.
are you bringing back mr whippy next year. i'd like to see how it goes really lowered.
ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
JN

Post by JN »

Gary,

Bring the Ice Cream truck to Bonneville during the Bub's meet, the racers would love you and you could make a few US dollars at the same time.:wink:

J
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

sorry ben, we have a huge mining expo starting here tomorrow and my company has had me running around organising stuff,,,, 8.5" tyre twisting crank. i am not aware what horsepower kermie is making, however welding the crank is a must when those motors start making neddies, i recon with that 8.5" tyre, your going to have problems with your clutch, on the back of the basket there is a plate holding 6 cushoning springs (3 heavy, 3 light) problem being that the tyre grabs so quick that this plate crys enough and brakes :twisted: , so we put a heavier plate with 6 heavy springs in to help cushion the inital load, have a yarn to rob casser he should be able to tell you who could do that modification for you down there,,, also ya gunna need a lock up , otherwise you will cook plates,, there is a lot of drive there,, maybe a comprimise on et`s, but gear it really high, will help it live a little longer,,,, you mention the camber of the road giving you a hard time, golden rule with them wide tyers is to be sure you are pointed where you want to go before launch,, because of the wide contact patch and soft sidewall thay dont want top play like a standard tyre :roll: what else did ya ask, arias pistons, yeah, those two would be from a j motor ex speedway outfit, from memory that was about all we salvaged, ugly :shock: ,, weighing the bike, fill fuels and oils, get all your kit on and sit as you would at wot, weigh at frount then the back independant of each other, try different riding positions, experiment, record everything.... i agree with garry p , put a standard swingarm in and no ballast, with the low :?: hp you have i recon you will see an imediate improvement in speed, ohhh yeah slow down the itchie trigger finger (wrist twist) :lol: ,,,, i think that covers everything you asked,,, roll on gairdner 07 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
ben james

Post by ben james »

g'day ronnie, thanks for all the info especially about the clutch. am pulling clutch basket out of 1100 motor tonight to get that work done and will try to get lockup clutch. you and gary have confirmed my suspicions about kermies swingarm, have got gpz1100 that i am going to build into a salt bike. the back of the thing has been really lowered via struts but the forks have just been pushed up through the triple clamps 40mm. am a bit suss about running something like that without raking the front. bob martin engineering will rake it for $850 so that bike may not be ready until 2008 speed week. should have new motor built by next march so i'll probably bring kermie in 07. but will experiment with scales and lead weight to see what i can do in the interim. would destroy the green bike if i tried to shorten the swingarm. anyway what are you bringing in 07.
regards ben james
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

What am I bringing in 07 see for yourself
http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1399
Gary :D
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
ben james

Post by ben james »

you a'int no wannabe bike builder gaz, right on washington!
imagine if you had brass razoo to rub together.
ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

i will be bringing the "aussie blue" zx12 over, am making a few small changes :) ,, making one 200+ pass dosent get the monkey off your back, but it sure dose help to loosen his grip :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
BONES

traction

Post by BONES »

Hi Ben If you want a seat like on my R1 I think Greg wants one so I could easily have 2 made.Maybe the rear tyre is too wide? Speedway use taller tyres for more traction. Sounds expensive to cut ,weld and straighten a frame.Do you have the mold for kermits seat/tank?
ben james

Post by ben james »

hi bones, no i don't have mould for kermits bodywork, but i think a guy in perth does. won't be touching kermits frame. am gonna start building up b1 gpz1100 for salt bike.
ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.