So what do I need to know about lakester wheelbase lengths?

Moderator: DLRA

speedster356

So what do I need to know about lakester wheelbase lengths?

Post by speedster356 »

Long or short, asthetics or is there something more to it? :)
When I lay out my tank profile and set in the dummy engine and trans etc it looks like the wheel base is only about 3mtrs, tip to tail is about 4.5 mtrs.
Just a bit of background.........slightly shortened 300 gal tank, blown 2.2 ltr aircooled VW on methonol (Godfrey Marshall blower, Hilborn injection with quad throttle bodies).

I'd love to get the drag bug which has just been completed on the salt. (kinda rat looking at the moment) 2.1 ltr EFI turbo on Methonol, with 350 Hp @ the wheels.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=56036&pid=530181&aid=58654
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=56036&pid=530159&aid=58641
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=56036&pid=530163&aid=58644
Dr Goggles

Wheelbase??

Post by Dr Goggles »

"Long or short, asthetics or is there something more to it?
When I lay out my tank profile and set in the dummy engine and trans etc it looks like the wheel base is only about 3mtrs, tip to tail is about 4.5 mtrs"

speedster , there are minimum w/b lengths set out per class in the rule book , that said it's one of those decisions ...length will add to your straight line stability but detract from your stability when things go bad....this is conjecture but I'd reckon as the w/b increases relative to the track ( axle) width that the chance of "pencil rolling" would be greater...the other extreme you'd expect would make the car "squirmy" under power as the "leverage" that the rear has relative to the length is greater....( that's why dedicated drag cars have a narrow rear axle).

The weight transfer issues in this pursuit aren't as critical as in as in the drags , you don't have enough traction , the gearing is too high and there is no reason ( unless you're at the really sharp end) to hammer it off the line so having the rear " way out back" isn't really a penalty.

The limited opportunities to test and the shortage of similar vehicles to compare with mean that a lot of planning in special construction cars comes down to what you think works......taking ideas from other places that you think worked for them, they may be obvious they may not be so.It's hard to be scientific about it with such a small pool.You need to decide how you will do things and why .At the point that things aren't going so well you need to examine whether what you built is working the way you intended, for the reason you intended.....weeding out the weak links.

" .....how come you put the rear axle there"....."because it looked good".........." what sort of a reason is that?"......" well when I asked people who were supposed to know about this stuff they just waffled on about rubbish so I figured I'd be buggered if I was gonna put it where it looked crap because if it didn't work there I'd look even more stupid , and still be going slow"...............

Put it where it looks best ( to quote a famous LSR man Chris Hanlon, "if it looks right it probably is)and meets the minimum requirement for your engine class , remember you might want to go up a class one day however you may not and anyway there are always going to be improvements you will want to make after a few years so you can stretch it then. In the end if it goes slow and looks ugly no-one will care what you do , if it goes slow but looks cool ......there is no end to the potential :lol: :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
speedster356

Post by speedster356 »

Cage is being bent this week, split the tank today along the waist line and the cockpit area. Front spindles are finished, the plug for blowing the cockpit screen is finished. Fuel tank drawings are done. Plus a huge collection of parts lying on the floor that are supposed to fit somewhere.....
Dr Goggles

tankster

Post by Dr Goggles »

speedster356 wrote:Cage is being bent this week, split the tank today along the waist line and the cockpit area. Front spindles are finished, the plug for blowing the cockpit screen is finished. Fuel tank drawings are done. Plus a huge collection of parts lying on the floor that are supposed to fit somewhere.....

you flash bastard :shock: :lol: :lol: sounds like you're on the job ......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Reverend Hedgash

Images

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Sounds like you are flying along but where are the photos????

I would like to know more about your windscreen, we are up to that bit and would love to hear your story.

Keep up the good work.

Rev. H+
DLRA Member#412
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

This discussion about aero issues touches on car length. Someone's building a liner that's 378 inches long, wheelbase: 240 inches. A monster!
http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtop ... c&&start=0

Speedster, if you're not already a member, register on Landracing. There's a world of dry lake racing experience hanging around the forum, and they'd love your build story.

(schmooze: spotted a pic of your Spyder in action in a recent VW mag)
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Reverend Hedgash

Monster

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

That Lakester is indeed a monster but how about the build quality? Wow.

Seth has a knack of building fantastic looking and reliable record breaking cars, but the look of the profile in the renders is a bit dodgy if you ask me...

Hopefully they are just diagrammatic.

As Dr Go says, our tank wheel base was a mix of what looks good and maximising what will fit in our tank.

Another consideration is width of course.

We have remained with the width of our donor diff. Although bringing the wheels in closer to the body would reduce frontal area it also brings the turbulence of the wheels closer to the body kind of defeating the beautiful aerodynamic shape that it was in originally.

A simple aerofoil profile over the axle reduces its drag by tenfold so it seems logical to do this and keep the wind profile around each wheel symmetrical to maximise stability...

Also its cheaper!

rev, H+
DLRA Member#412