Welding standards for frames

Moderator: DLRA

weezilco

Welding standards for frames

Post by weezilco »

Hi dere,

In reading the DLRA rules, I find notations indicating that grinding of welds is not permitted. Fair enough; I know that it's important to see the entire weld to judge the integrity.

The TAFE course on welding cost as much as the MIG welder, so I just jumped in and bought the MIG had at it. I have practised on steel junk and bicycles for a few years now. I'm getting the hang of it, but I don't make a good stitch the first time every time.

Is it OK to grind back a sloppy weld and lay another stitch over it?

Thanks. :)

-Brian
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Brian, The rule is to stop a chicken shit weld being gound smooth, and covered by bog, and looking like it is fantastic, when there is only one spot of weld, some slag and bog holding it together. The other concern is that the penetration of welds is not something that a weekend welder can always judge, and grinding the weld may take all the strength out.
I can't see any problem with grinding a weld out, and rewelding it. There is really no alternative for fixing a crappy weld, which we will all make on occaision.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
weezilco

Post by weezilco »

Thanks, John.

*whew*

Was suffering from mild performance anxiety there for a minute. :D

I do kinda wonder some days how many of my crappier welds are attributable to my self-schooling or my bargain basement Mediterranian MIG.

Even after adding fans to the little beggar, when it's warm, its arc temperature wanders a lot. Aluminum wound transformer in the MIG and plain old residential house wiring in the garage probably aren't helping my case.

I'll play it safe when I get around to sticking tubes together. I'll submit some dwgs & specs to the Techos as well as photo my welds as I go. Digital cams are fantastic documentary tools for this sorta work.

Thanks!

-Brian

Home Welding "Tips"

Post by Guest »

Brian,

:idea: Turn off your electric hot water service, make sure noone uses the microwave or an airconditioner when you intend to weld..

Anything that dims your lights when they cut in can kill your weld. Nothing worse than being mid-run and the missus fire up the microwave. :shock:

My 2c