Question about scattershields

Moderator: DLRA

Stovebolt

Question about scattershields

Post by Stovebolt »

:?: After reading the rulebook cover to cover, and knowing the 130 MPH club rules - is there any way around having to run an SFI approved scattershield??

I want to run in the vintage class on an open record, but there is no aftermarket scattershield sold for my mill. Now I don't expect to set the world on fire and get a world record - I just want to run the Hop Up gear that I have been given by a retired racer in the States, and i want to run in my hot rod project before I finish the car for the street.

I have thought of a couple of options, the last being importing a scattershield, but this is too costly for the exercise I have planned.

OPTION #1 - Can I run a cast-iron bellhousing that is surrounded by a fabricated steel bellhousing/scattershield?

OPTION #2 - Can I run a cast-iron adapter from the block to a home made steel scattershield?

Any info would be very helpful.

Cheers.
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Post by DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281 »

well the way i read the rules , and this is what i used and was accepted at tech inspection , i fabricated a steel scattershield out of 6 mm (1/4") steel plate approx 6" long that went right around the cast bellhousing. as long as it covers the clutch and flywheel area
Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt »

Thanx, I'll probably use that type of bellhousing myself, unless i hear something diferent.

Cheers
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

The way I interpreted the rules, and the way my car is built, is that the scattershield and the bell housing do not have to be the same unit. Most people who are not running a relatively common small or big block use what Don has suggested. Once you leave the Chev/Ford space, there is not much around if you don't make it yourself.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G'Day Stove
I had a similar problem as I use a Ford gearbox behind a Holden mtr. I got an OK from the scruitineers and used a Diest ballistic blanket. They make them to suit Chev bellhousings but I found it adapted easy as its just a flat blanket with tags and a hole for the clutch fork. From memory it cost about $300 and you do need an Ok from the chief scruit but this may give you another option.
Seeya Chris
Home of the Worlds Fastest Ute

Endeavour to Persevere
Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt »

Thanx guys for your input.

Is the Chief Scrutineer on-line so I can seek a "Ruling"?

Cheers
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G'Day Stove
Cheif Scruitineer for cars is John Dawson of Emerald Qld. I do not have his contact details though.

Seeya Chris
Home of the Worlds Fastest Ute

Endeavour to Persevere
hawkwind racing

contact

Post by hawkwind racing »

John Dawson's contact details are
PO box 711 Emerald Qld
ph 07 49824804
fax 0749824802
mob 0407581158
remember if he is busy he is hard to contact