Racing Harness Mods

Moderator: DLRA

Dr Goggles

Racing Harness Mods

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hi All
I've been pestering Bob about how on earth I'm going to make our harness mount properly since we've changed the seat in our bellytank. Problem is that where we had barely enough room to get the mounting points right so that we could tighten the lap belts properly, now we are lower and further back....it can't be done. The floor and the sides of the car are too close, or the belts are too long .

Now I have worked out part of a solution that involves attaching another piece of roll tube as a saddle above the lower frame tubes so as to pass the belt around(under) it and then mount the eyelet on the mid-line bar...this will give us plenty of length but the new problem is that it means the adjusters pull down...that won't do.

I've worked out that the adjusters could be turned around so they pull up but this will involve the belts being re-stitched. I assume that this has to be done by a recognized manufacturer........ here's the 64 dollar question

who?

Thanks everyone
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
David Leikvold

maybe

Post by David Leikvold »

Doc, I think you should contact the Melbourne office of CAMS as your first try. Many years ago replacing webbing after a logbooked prang was compulsory. These days they might just replace the whole thing but it's still worth the ask.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Dear Doctor , I have this rash that.... OOPS WRONG Dr :oops:.you CAN NOT have the webbing "fixed",other than by someone who has the SFI qualifications to do so.(also remember, 3years old,replace them!).
Forget CAMS , They do NOT know about safety, Contact Motorsport Connections on (02)9838 7272 or 1800 242 910,website , www.mscn.com.au .You can order belts to suit what you need.Pull up,pull down (both lap & shoulder),Lever latch or Camlock.
Ask for Mark or Travis,(tell them you are DLRA and I sent ya),the guys will help you out
Rewebbing costs MORE than a new set of belts.(I know)
Cheers , Bob.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Try these guys Doc
http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au

Graeme
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

STAMPS HOT-ROD
COLOURED SEAT BELTS
Custom made to compliment your cars interior
For a free quotation and information
on our full range, contact
Neil and Desma Stamp
44 Browning Street, Kangaroo Flat 3555 Bendigo Victoria
Telephone (03) 5447 7555 Mobile 019 333 314
Technical Enquiries 6p.m. – 10 p.m. 7 days.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Norm

Post by Norm »

Question for ya Bob. What if the belts are over 3 years old and in perfact condition?
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

....."All belts shall be in good condition and have a manufacturer's tag with a legible date not more than 5 years old on the label.It is recommended that seat belts be upgraded every two to three years".....
This is from the current SCTA Rulebook
Our rule book is similarly worded.
Understanding we haven't run for about 150 or so weeks,if the belts are in AS NEW condition,(and not TOO old),they may be OK.
UV & Dust in the webbing are the biggest enemy on harnesses.
They must be SFI 16.1 belts.
As a last note,my current belts (Diest) are dated Dec 04.They are going to swapmeet next week(get $100.00 easy-from boyracers), New belts on way,Cost?,about $160.00.Works out to $20.00 a year for new belts.
What's your life worth?
Dr Goggles

did

Post by Dr Goggles »

DLRA wrote:STAMPS HOT-ROD
COLOURED SEAT BELTS
Custom made to compliment your cars interior
For a free quotation and information
on our full range, contact
Neil and Desma Stamp
44 Browning Street, Kangaroo Flat 3555 Bendigo Victoria
Telephone (03) 5447 7555 Mobile 019 333 314
Technical Enquiries 6p.m. – 10 p.m. 7 days.

rang em last night Greg, waiting to hear back........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

Kilppan would be another place to have a look.

http://www.autolivaftermarket.com/

Most belts get made here for places like Stamps.

I found them very helpfull with belts in the past when I have needed information for an Engineer.

1800 804 588 Will contact the Victorian Office.
Member DLRA 112.