Brett de Stoop's Salt Fever

Moderator: DLRA

Dr Goggles

Brett de Stoop's Salt Fever

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hi All, I went up to Maraylya and stayed with Brettie earlier in the week in an effort to get started writing an article which I'm doing with Simon Davidson the photographer.

We had a great time up there and true to form Brettie was going flat out.....he had the bike reassembled minus the internals and I have to tell you all the bike, seriously , looks just as good or maybe even better with it's clothes off....the sign of a true beauty... many bikes built with extended frames like that look ungainly ....not this one.....the forks are perfectly proportioned having being shortened , the rake looks just right and the pipes give the bike a belly....it really does look like something ready to pounce. The adjustable headstock which allows him to alter any single factor leaving the others constant is a work of art.

The dyno he has built is a monument to simplicity and function while the room he has it in is just plain hilarious.....we walk in and there's a metallic hibiscus pink Waterbottle sitting on it, the walls are all silver foil and there's a bloody mirror ball with a colored LED shining on it...jesus. Brettie swears it's the kids disco.....yeah well, he has the dyno set up with inertia readings taken on the computer an old 486 and a rod coming off a Holden caliper mounted on a disc, some Bedford flywheels and a strain gauge complete the package, he controls it with a handle made from square tube leaning onto a brake master cylinder to his left while sitting on the bike.

In the main shed there's his casting and machining set up and more Waterbottle motor bits than you could wave let alone poke a stick at...

We had a great time all up,Brett stuffed more info into my head than I have absorbed in the last five years and his working knowledge of the two stroke system is just plain astonishing.

Simon got some great photos and the next day shot some of Brettie and his three boys as well.

I've started a thread on landracing.com here

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.p ... 612.0.html

and there's a little more here on our "Australian Belly Tank" thread

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.p ... .1140.html

there's also some pics that Frank Kletschkus took here........

http://twixt-two-wheels.jalbum.net/Brett%20De%20Stoop/[/b]
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

g`day Doc,, whats the go here mate :? ,, you doing a writeup on Bretts bike :?: ,, im looking forward to seeing more information about it :wink: ,,, seeya
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Dr Goggles

yup

Post by Dr Goggles »

Yeah Ronnie, but not for here in the short term....later it will appear here...
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dr Goggles

CQ CQ

Post by Dr Goggles »

Stayt`ie wrote:g`day Doc,, whats the go here mate :? ,, you doing a writeup on Bretts bike :?: ,, im looking forward to seeing more information about it :wink: ,,, seeya
let me know if you got the PM Ronnie..????
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Yes Doc,, i have been out off cyberspace waiting for another modem which arrived today :D ,, back online now and catching up with whats being happening in the landracing world 8) ,,
no worries mate 8), thankyou,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,