9 inch gears

Moderator: DLRA

Don Hudson

9 inch gears

Post by Don Hudson »

Can anybody help with a source of tall 9" gears for my HQ Monaro?
This year I ran 2.75, but ran out of revs quickly. My only other options seem to be, replace the t400 with a t700, find a quick change, or tub the rear and get taller tyres. For the cost involved, I'd like to try and find a 2.4 or lower set of gears for my nine inch
any help with web sites/ manufacturers etc would be appreciated.
Thanks
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

To be quite honest I reckon a manual is the way to go here rather than using the auto.

What tyres are you running now? what RPM are you pulling?

OH, and nice letter in the latest Street Machine by the way. :)
Don Hudson

Post by Don Hudson »

Sure an overdrive manual would be just the shot, but to get one strong enough, like a tko, plus clutch, flywheel , pedals, hydraulics, crossmember, drive shaft, shifter etc comes to $7000 for the change.

It's much cheaper to even fab some 9inch gears, and the t400 is tough.

I'm building a non street, salt only HQ as I write, but it won't be ready for next year , so I don't want to go over the top on my street car. It'll run a 572 chev, muncie and halibrand.

I've now managed to find some 2.45 9" gears locally for a few hundred.
How many rev's? last year was only 5500, but I've got a set of ported rectangle port, a high rise single plane manifold, and a some extra toys to try and spin to 7000 next year.

with both 28" tyres and 26" tyres, i should be able to try for 188mph, or even 200 if i can get the horses.

Glad you liked the letter, I was a little worried about what they'd write when i spoke to them
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

The guys in the office are pretty good about things like that, after all none of us want someone elses name attached to our car.

Good luck with it, hope I see you out there next year.