Compound Supercharged Turbocharged 125cc

Moderator: DLRA

dplecko

Re: Compound Supercharged Turbocharged 125cc

Post by dplecko »

Surprised I didn't work this out sooner than I did, seems the wet track section (which the data log overlays almost perfectly with the satellite images of the wet mushy track and corresponding cooler air), not head wind was responsible for the drop in RPM.
A 50% increase in the rolling resistance seems to closely match the data log (with a slow bike/vehicle rolling resistance is a significant part of the total drag).
Proll = MGr.Veh g (R0 + R1 V + R2 V2 + R3V3) V
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

In line with the parent topic 'Engine Development and Performance' sharing a photo of a simple additional full flow magnetic filter, this is after the full flow filter feeding the two compound turbos and look at the debris collected after about 60 dyno runs.

The top shiny magnet is a new one and the bottom dirty magnet was after the 60 odd dyno runs.

Magnets - Jaycar LM1622
Filter - Speedflow 600-04

Long live the turbos (famous last words)...

gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think the Jag would need a considerably larger magnet!!! :(
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Thats not so unusual, probably a bit of fleck in the oil from the non ferrous metals too, clutch basket wear would be the main source for aluminium
only one to watch carefully for is copper , only copper in the motor is bearings , first hint of copper and its worth stripping the motor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Greg Watters wrote:Thats not so unusual, probably a bit of fleck in the oil from the non ferrous metals too, clutch basket wear would be the main source for aluminium
only one to watch carefully for is copper , only copper in the motor is bearings , first hint of copper and its worth stripping the motor
x2, :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

Greg Watters wrote:Thats not so unusual, probably a bit of fleck in the oil from the non ferrous metals too, clutch basket wear would be the main source for aluminium
So true, but this little home brew magnetic filter is in the line to the turbos after the full flow Ryco filter. I was surprised how much was still circulating in the oil after passing through the the main filter, Ryco say their filters catch 30 microns and bigger. This magnetic filter would have only caught the ferrous particles.
buzzed

Post by buzzed »

This is really impressive. I just stumbled across your thread. I twincharged my street Alfa, and now have dreams of one day running a twincharge down the salt...try and outrun the rust....

Keep up the fantastic work.

For interest, mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu50yO7qOPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxT-sH3Teg

Cheers
Mike
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

Nice work Buzzed. Compound turbo superchargers are definatley the way to go for the street. I have gone compound turbo turbo this year, works better for my combo at the top end.

Discovered a significant amount of water in the plenum after the ice intercooler, condensation, thought it was a leak at first but pressure test is all ok.
buzzed

Post by buzzed »

Turbo turbo...yes, unless you can get a more efficient supercharger to match the turbo, and back pressure on head is not causing issues, then that makes sense. I am interested, since I am slowly peicing together a twincharge for the salt, how do you go with wheelspin on the salt? More torque than you need I guess, hence so long as you have the torque to drive the gear ratios I guess you are chasing top end for mphr...out with supercharger in with twin series turbos?!
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

Traction is not a problem for this little bike with this power level. Yes, with any form of forced induction efficiency is the key.