Fuels

Moderator: DLRA

Greg Watters

Fuels

Post by Greg Watters »

One of the specifications for fuel to determine between Gasoline or fuel classes is the Dielectric value with less than 2.3 being classed as a gasoline.
Here is a list that covers many options of available fuels but doesn't cover all Australian fuels.
http://www.ridgenet.net/~hideseng/dc_list.htm
hawkwind racing

fuels

Post by hawkwind racing »

Good find Greg :wink:
the data shows conclusively that all the oxygenated petrols , exceed the limit by a country mile . now the 60K question what do we do about it ?
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
hawkwind racing

All speed racers , I am trying to get one of the race fuel suppliers ,to come on board as an official supplier of gasolene and fuels , hopefully the DLRA can have this supplier sell and dispense motor spirit from the pits or something similar to what happens at Bonnieville ' if this where possible would we as a groupe be willing to use this service ? NOTE its early days and both parties would need to believe that its a worthwhile cause . what say ye
alphabet

Post by alphabet »

::
Last edited by alphabet on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Hawk
Yeah I'm in. Providing we can test with the same fuel on dynos B4 we leave home it could provide the great advantage of only having to buy the fuel you require at the lake.
I for one always take 3 times what I need just in case and if you blow up on tuesday its easy to be putting 60lits of C16 leaded through the lawnmower for a long time.
It smells great cutting grass but hell its expensive.

Count me in, I'm happy to pay for the best fuel and if theres no waste its a bonus. I'm quite sure Bob Ellis will be of the same opinion and I'll let him know if you can get a go ahead.

Problem I see in a bulk buy deal is we all run different stuff.
Bob runs C14. I run C16, goodness knows what you crazy bikers use so your supplier would need to be up his variety but sounds great, keep us informed.
Seeya Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Would we still be allowed to use fuel/petrol that we bring to the event ??, reason being , my fuel and oil`s are supplied by a sponser 8) . Not knocking the suggestion, just raising a point to consider :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Post by DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281 »

I gets my racing fuel from Port Augusta , in fact i can get it at nearly all Shell servos across the country , its called OPTIMAX , premium unleaded . And throw in a bit of octane booster . But then again i only have 10.5 -1 compression .
hawkwind racing

Stayt`ie wrote:Would we still be allowed to use fuel/petrol that we bring to the event ??, reason being , my fuel and oil`s are supplied by a sponser 8) . Not knocking the suggestion, just raising a point to consider :)

A bit more info , our rules regarding Gasolenes and fuel contain some specifications, one regarding the dielectric constant ,this is to draw a line between what is technically a "petrol " and what is outside this is regarded as a fuel ,for some time now due to lead being phased out ,companies have been adding what are called reformulated petrol which contains oxygenates , these take the form of alcohols and other chemcals that are similar ,these make the petrol ,including pump petro via a DC reading fuel ,so technically it places racers using these in the fuel class . to overcome this problem the SCTA ( bonniville ) use a list of appoved gasolines ( as do all other motorsport bodies) this is available to racers on site by an approved supplier and is the only approved sourse for the Gas classes you get the tank filled at the suppliers outlet and the tank is sealed , if you use any other source or other gasolines not supplied by the approved vendor ,you can but you have to run in a fuel class .
I have spoken to Rob Carrol ( pres) and we think the best way to sort this out is to bring it up at the annual meeting at the salt ,to see what we all think and act on that , I have also spoken to several race fuel suppliers to see if they have any interest is providing a service like this, it is just an exercise in seeing what interest on both sides is at this time
Gary
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

I would be keen too if the fuel is of sufficant octaine and it can be easily sourced for dynoing before the meet.
Sunnoco maximal is my current preference but i could work with c16, it just burns a little slow for my rev range.
I'm still trying to use up last meets excess fuel too, :lol: hadn't thought of the mower :shock:
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

I believe it would be benefical if the club were to purchase a DC apparatus to test competitors fuel for compliance.....
Being able to obtain aggreement on a fuel(s) is one issue , then to have a fuel supplier on board to "cart" his fuel to this event and sell at a reasonable price is living with the fairy's.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
alphabet

Post by alphabet »

::
Last edited by alphabet on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

We'll see what eventuates :arrow: :idea:
Is this item on the agenda to be discussed at the next meeting :?: Before March.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
hawkwind racing

Gazza this topic will be dicussed at the annual general meeting ,and prolly at the Vic meeting after christmas , 2 suppliers have shown some interest but require a lot more information before formalising some sort of agreement ,and on the DLRA side of the coin it would need to be benificial and in our interests as well ,Im just trying to get the ball rolling :wink:
Gary
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day
Yeah the point I think some have missed is even if the price is top dollar its still cheaper buying only what you require rather than taking lots more just in case and having to burn the leftover it in the mower.
Chris
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Hawk
I'm a moron on whats available and what fuel suits what purpose. For all I know what I run might not be what is the best for my application.

As this progresses could these suppliers hop on this forum and give us some advice on what fuel suits what and fors and against etc.

I know there is more than one way to skin a feral cat but just a broad outline would be good.
I think we should remember for each of us that participate in this forum there are lots more who view it so it would be in whatever companies interest to put there hand up.
Thanks Chris