Bonneville versus Lake Gairdner

Moderator: DLRA

momec3

Bonneville versus Lake Gairdner

Post by momec3 »

Apples versus Apples,
I am interested in results of those who have run both here and Bonneville with a similar setup.
If we take X vehicle (car or bike) set a time here, retune it to suit and run Bonneville does it go faster or slower.
I realise we have had more bikes than cars do the trip.
I spoke with Norm recently and he said Marilyn lost 1000rpm at Bonneville. (ie 9800rpm here. 8800rpm there)
Any others that could confirm this kind of difference?
Chris
Stayt`ie

Re: Bonneville versus Lake Gairdner

Post by Stayt`ie »

yeah Chris, my experience is pretty much as Norm says, dropped 1000rpm, ashma really sets in at Bonnevilles geo altitude (approx 4200'),,

from my notes, average tuning altitude at Gairdner hovers either side of 2000', with RAD at 93*,, Bonneville sees altitudes at 6000+' and 80*,, air at G is always close to .072lbs3, at B .062lbs3,, (down approx 2 psi),,

at the moment im struggling with nutting out the airbox pressure (RamAir) differences between G & B,,

as a matter of interest i took readings at Furnace Creek which is the lowest point in Death Valley at 242' below sea level,, the readings there were comparable to Gairdner, :lol: :lol: ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Staytie,

About what I figured. Would kinda translate to about 10mph slower there than here.
I know Lake G's air must be good especially early morning.
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

actually im down about 11-1200rpm, but my peak rpm is 11700,, i ran 198 in 5th here and 190 in 5th over there,, one day ill remember to put the thing into 6th and it might go a bit faster, :lol: :lol: ,,

your onto it with Gairdners air being better in the morning, you can get 1300'-1700', and 96-7's,, really starts to drop away from 10-11am,,
but, one thing i have noticed is that some impressive speeds have been laid down around 2pm, better salt maybe :?: :?: ,,

i use a Kestrel #4250 Racing Weather Tracker for "all" my readings, bought it off FleBay,,
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Just blow it Chris , reverses the altitude problem :D
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

what Greg said, is sure tempting,,

another thing worth mention is that, on the naked bikes, you can definatly "feel" the difference on your body of the resistance (wind/air),, its amazing just how "thick" our air is, :twisted:,, some folks say that the air at G cancells the altitude problem at B,, performance dosent support this,,
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

You can feel it with a fairing too Ronnie probably more speed lost from air density than you realise , i think at our speeds its nearly 10% or 20mph if your not hp limited

the other big setback between the 2 is getting your tuneup right, wasted too much time trying to adjust for differences on the salt, time better spent on a dyno
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Guys.
I value the feedback from you both.
Greg, I quite like a dose of N20 for the same reason but, must be atmo.
Our intention is to run 2016 Bonneville against the D/PPU (302/Production Pickup) with our F Truck.
Its current record is 164.230mph held by Chook Full o' Nuts.
We have run 184mph here with our C (370ci engine) but the 302 does not make the same HP per ci.
Our test and tune will be Lake G 2015. From what you guys confirm we need to run at least 175mph here to bother sticking a huge commitment in a container. No point even considering it unless we can give it a shot.
Cheers
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Chris, something else to consider, Speedweek at Bonneville is the second week in August, WOS is usually a month later,, i have not been to a Speedweek event ( hopeing to make this years, depending on employment), but, due to the northern latitude the drop in temperature in the week between BUB and WOS is "very noticable",, what im guessing is that density altitude and RAD would be a bit more favourable at WOS,, maybe, just a thought :? ,,,

if i get to Speedweek, restassured ill be taking hourly readings everyday, then, compare those with existing readings from previous BUB events and let ya know,,

all the best with your plans, 8)
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Some place the change of season is almost like a switch. Not like that in Qld.
Interesting,
Chris
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Varys from yr to yr
looking over my time cards from 08 to 12
temps range from 50's to 90's (F) more variance from yr to yr than event to event
only Speedweek we did in 09 was 80-90 or slightly above the normal range of the later meet which was 82-88 ,
DA at that speedweek was 6400-7100ft and Bubs 2 weeks later was more consistant at 68-7100
quite where i like it , only a few of the da on my cards are below 5500 , a lot around 6300+
Humidity seems slightly higher at later meets, going from mid teens to mid 20s