Commodore Valuables

Moderator: DLRA

DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Googlitis like your theory on your exhaust exit point, could this also create enough vaccum in the system to supercharge the motor, after all removing an atmosphere on the exit is the same as adding an atmosphere on the inlet :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock: hu hu wondaya recon?/?/?
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Dr Goggles

supa-dupa-charging

Post by Dr Goggles »

..........combined with my invention to use a turbo to drive a turbine to "suck out" the exhaust , mate , we'll be makin' some big numbers soon....... :roll: it's kind of like those perpetual motion machines , I know they had their problems but if you perservere.....oh yeah and I'm also working on using an electric motor to drive the alternator , I'd run the motor off of a battery which the alternator would charge..........hey , hey??.............Newton? bah!!
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Just piss the alternator off and use a good deep cycle battery, and a solar charger is plenty to top up in all that glorious sunshine, you can drive a hundred miles with a stock ignition, sprintcars do forty laps with big amp race ignitions I won't have an alternator,
if you have other electrical devices use a separate battery,
and a good idea is buy el cheap 14v cordless power tools and cut them up to make battery holders and just pop them in and out as you please, good idea if pushed for a quick turnaround, ( drag racing or a return run? )
And you would need a Farkin big electric motor to drive an alternator hard enough to replenish your battery, I was going to install a windmill on the roof off my ute to recharge my power tools when i drove from job to job, but was laughed at when i ask someone that new a bit about alternators :shock: :shock: :shock: ,
Its like wiring an electric motor to an alternator as a perpetual machine it aint going to happen and you want to add an ignition system, thermofans etc to the equation,,,,
Dr Goggles

Skeptic

Post by Dr Goggles »

I was , um , takin the piss there Dirtington........but hell I like the windmill idea........my sixth form Physics prac' involved assessing the loss in motors and generators....even without the friction loss you're lookin' at a pretty steep slope, down........The whole " finding energy" thing has abducted my goat of late after a recent " water power" thing I got sent.......next someone will come up with an idea to run cars on smog :shock: So, just to finish up here ( reminding you that I was kidding ) did you see the stuff on landracing.com a while back about how Bruce Crower has come up with a six-stroke engine?.....It injects a shot of water after the exhaust valve closes and does another crank rotation thus using the heat in the cylinder to create steam , he estimates it'll require about as much water as fuel on board....smaller radiator , cleaner exhaust and the efficiency of converting fuel into ft/lbs is far greater because of the use of the heat that would normally leave via the exhaust or radiator..it's here

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... WEEKSISSUE

...very nice thinkin' came up with that idea...I have to go coz I'm building a water feature in the back yard from this design I found from this guy called Escher. :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dr Goggles

Slowgress

Post by Dr Goggles »

...it's been slow and steady here , the "flip front" of the bodywork is working , the tub is mostly sorted but apart from the top front we've just got bits that sit together for the rest of the top....next week I'm getting a separate torch and drive set-up for my mig to weld the aluminium rather than Tig , it's easier and we don't need finish quality welds cause they'll all be ground anyway. ....I see a few long nights a-comin' :wink:
Dr Goggles

Mach 1 ? er ,no ,Machi!

Post by Dr Goggles »

........quickly collected myself after the time-out that was christmas and got back on the job.Drove up to Wangaratta this morning and bought two Machi jet canopies , WTF?......The Rev' tracked them down and was fairly confident that they would provide us with just the right shape for our bellytank canopy......if I hadn't already seen him look at something and deem it to be the right shape , and be right :roll: , I would have been a little wary about it but with his track record I just paid for them .Also there was the wreckage of a P38 that had been hauled from the jungle in New Guinea , a Mirage ( corr , check out the tanks on that!!!!! ) AND a vampire........if anyone has ever seen the drop tanks from a Vampire they'll know what I mean ...them's the cutest little ones ever. 8) ...hey Santa , next year.................
Dr Goggles

Oxide my backside

Post by Dr Goggles »

Dr Goggles wrote:...next week I'm getting a separate torch and drive set-up for my mig to weld the aluminium rather than Tig , it's easier and we don't need finish quality welds cause they'll all be ground anyway. ....I see a few long nights a-comin' :wink:

I got the gear , got some Argon .....and got some pretty sad results straight up....Let me tell you , welding Aluminium can make you feel pretty small , and not very clever .The guy who sold me the gear said " that's great for anything over 3mm" ....our tank is about 2mm thick....."so" I thought.

The salt community is full of hard heads and I guess I'm one. Aluminium had won a battle , not the war.........I knew that abrading the surface was what was required however the contaminents have to be "knocked off" not driven into the surface , I also knew that steel brushes would contaminate it .Aluminium has no "color range" and the temperature window between fusing and completely shitting itself is narrow.However , Al is a far better conductor of heat and thus dissipates heat a lot more quickly and thus the heat distortion risk in thin plate isn't quite as severe as steel( some may argue otherwise) Aluminium doesn't like "starting" when you are welding and a bit of heat makes all the difference ......at this point my plan of welding the tank with continuous spotting wasn't looking good because it means practically everything is a "start".....at this point I borrowed a hand held sand blaster . Blast the join area , crank the welder up to about 160-170 amps , crack!( that's the sound of the shortest trigger interval you can manage)_....wait til the gloss goes off the bead and then aim the wire at the very edge of it (about 1.5 seconds at most) crack!

FMD!!! it works :D .....it looks a bit like a pissed Tig weld but since I'm grinding them I'm happy with it , actually I'm O.T.M and gave the tank the finger ...." ha , beat you again a---hole"

Does this tally with others' experience of welding this awful stuff???????
momec

Post by momec »

Endevour to persevere Goggles
We can do anything we set our minds to if we chose.
I got to hand it to you. If you can even stick 2mm ally with bird shit you've done better than most first time attemtptees.

Good luck
Chris
Acme Racing #251
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Weld one Goggles,,with a bit more practice, you'll be able to weld two ally beer cans together eh ! (radio controlled belly tank LSR ?)
Tiny 8)
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Dr Goggles

Shird bit

Post by Dr Goggles »

gennyshovel wrote:Weld one Goggles,,with a bit more practice, you'll be able to weld two ally beer cans together eh ! (radio controlled belly tank LSR ?)
Tiny 8)

............mate , if I wanted to weld two beer cans together I'd just buy a longneck what with being 800ml and all now........ :lol:

.......and Chris , birdshit?!?!? friggin' hell !, when I first tried it without the blaster I discovered several things , contaminated molten Al will only stick to human skin ( even better than super glue) , the torch tip or any flammable object within five yards....it was worse than a wet stick on hot dip with no prep'.

oh, and BTW T'fer I liked the misplaced space in the quote above :wink:
Dr Goggles

Shut up and hold it's head.

Post by Dr Goggles »

Started fitting up the loom and ancillaries to the Connodore V6 yesterday , Graeme was paring wires apart heat shrinking and generally chooking around to work out what we did and didn't need .Twelve months ago we reversed the inlet manifold because we didn't think it would fit under the cowl.The bulk water tank ( 60 litres) sits a couple of mm behind the motor and is taller than it so nothing can sit beyond the back of the headsGetting an alternator to fit anywhere on was lookin' difficult , we considered mounting it "backwards" with the pulley facing the engine .We also considered changing the fuelrail ....whatever we did the throttle body and the water outlet at the thermostat weren't comfortable .we took off the throttle body and began holding it in random spots around the engine ..."we could plumb it to here , we could put it here ".....in the end we cut the top off the plenum welded a piece of 3mm plate on it made a cover for the end and just sat the throttle body on the top like a carby , he he .....it looks hilarious and gives us heaps more room , the only thing is the throttle body looks kinda lonely where it is ...like you could maybe fit three there............ :shock:
grumm441

Triple somethings

Post by grumm441 »

Well you know goggs
I've got more of them throttle body thingo's
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Doctor Gogglelittle,
With the Alternator running backward does it store energy to be released at a later date :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
And Yes you should have added throttle bodies while you where at it,,, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dr Goggles

The Cheeseshop

Post by Dr Goggles »

....FMD :shock: I never thought of that.....actually I think when you spin them backwards they produce " Olts and Vamps" but you need to be really careful that they don't " Flow abuse".......None of that need be worried about because we put it where Mr Bosch intended .

Yesterday we got the cooling system plumbed up , out came the electric putty gun and we had a thermostat housing that points straight up instead of sideways ( does anybody think of us Belly-tank builders?)...Cutting the cast Aluminium ain't pleasant so I'm thinking a reciprocating or "saw-zall" might be the ultimate cheese saw :idea: . During the week the Rev put louvres in the top cowl which look pretty good and various little moves have been made in getting the bodywork sorted . Graeme has almost finished the wiring ......I have to go and eat before we start again
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Doctor Googlestein,
You Don't need an alternator, Run a good deep cycle battery, do you know how much HP it takes to spin an alternator..its not like you got a 44 amp MSD ......... :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: that's what solar battery chargers are for........ :idea: :idea: :idea: