Commodore Valuables

Moderator: DLRA

Dr Goggles

the spark

Post by Dr Goggles »

The power loss from the alternator might be one thing but the risk of getting a drop across the ignition at the other end of the course is a bigger threat to what we're trying to do .For our first year the VN will have the power we need to get beyond 150 and close to 175 if it all "falls into place" as the shape is clean .....beyond that we have something else altogether which will definitely need an alternator , besides an alt is cheaper and simpler and more idiot proof( essential!!!) than batteries that need to be charged ( by whatever method)..........

Yesterday the perspex was cut to make the final fit for the canopy , very cunning our Reverend is....it looks just like his pictures...gotta go it's breakfast time again. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
BOB ELLIS

the spark

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Hey Doc , i run an alt BACKWARDS! works a treat , only (like your thinking) to keep a steady supply to Ign , As for your windows , Perspex is a no no , use Lexan (Perspex shatters , Lexan don't) Check rule 4.5.16. on a lighter note , have you guys got Jenny Craig or some for a sponser??? You always seem to be eating!! :wink: :wink:
Dr Goggles

lexan

Post by Dr Goggles »

:shock: ...good point Bob , They're canopies off jets that we've chopped up so we'd just assumed they'd be fine ....we'll , er , :? get back to you on that one.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dr Goggles

Polly Car Bonnet

Post by Dr Goggles »

Not Perspex. 8)

The gaps are getting smaller , and smaller as the body tightens up .Little niggles ,like when you need a captive nut it's really handy to be able to get to where you want to put it ....order of assembly ....."can't do that bit unless we drop the tub off " , need the tub on to get this bit right, " is it right ?" " won't be able to tell 'til we take the tub off".....small shed lots of gear ,long car and two untidy blokes................ so far no-one has been burnt with the welder , stabbed with anything at hand or shot with the sand-blaster,and today ? well , it's getting hotter again! :twisted: .
momec

Post by momec »

How about when you go to bolt on the freshly painted bonnet to the freshly painted hindges and try to close it when you discover it don't close cause some dick stengthened the strut towers and forgot the hinges move when they close. Oh yeah and my sheds smaller than yours :cry:
I can relate Goggles

Seeya Chris
Acme Racing #251
Dr Goggles

Shed fool of tools

Post by Dr Goggles »

...your shed couldn't be smaller than mine unless it was made to hold an Austin A7 :lol: WTF are you gonna do about the bonnet???there's nothing quite like it for a wake up call ,just when you're thinking " hey fella ,nice job , that was worth all the hard work, jeez looking at that you'd think I could do anything" two minutes later you're thinking "you cretin , you absolute loser , what were you thinking ???????, stick to tying shoelaces and nothing more complicated"

the heat makes it hard to keep it together.

we got the tail of the car on yesterday , it's slow and frustrating....today we hope to get the top ( cowl) in place and then start attaching it tomorrow .We still need to finish the canopy , install a fire system , um , start the motor , build a steering column........and paint the friggin' thing.

I'm starving so I'm off for bread and dripping ( this salt bizzo means I have to eat cheap), and no Bob we're not sponsored by Jenny Craig , it's Combantrim. :lol:
momec

Post by momec »

As John Lennon says" there ai'nt no problems just solutions" so the bonnet now has 4 pins and we have to lift the bloody thing on and off.

No time left for major changes now, just bolt the damn thing together.

Having the minor panic attacks when I look at the schedule but its take no prisioners we are racing this year!

My shed is smaller than yours, it was molded around an XP ute with a thin person air gap. :lol:

WE ARE RACING mate so just ignore the bloody heat
Seeya Chris
Acme Racing #251
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Yes, it's cut to the chase time isn't it!

No more beauty passes, just get the bits required attached.

Dr Giggles shed has a 1 and a half person gap admittedly, but that gap seems to be filled with everything other than a person.

Both of us have a groove on both sides of our body, and matching holes in our jeans where the cars front spindles stick out and shave a bit off as you squeeze past.

Our slightly more rotund engine guru is limited to a cul de sac though with the tailpipe being an impassable protusion.

Canopy hopefully functional this weekend!

Rev. H+
DLRA Member#412
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

oh you poor buggas . Just as long as my Qantas mechanics have my aircraft ready and they have a cold beer ready for my flight to Adelaide , thats about all my worries . and i,ll be doin about 500 mph . hehehehe .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Reverend Hedgash

As chipper as you sound I know the utter devastation of not being ready so I shant reply too aggressively. There is a big station wagon sized hole in the line up this year.

revH+

By the way did you get a lift?

I am sure we can squeeze you in somewhere if not.
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Shaguar

Post by Lynchy »

Big Gaz and I will also be shamefully riding down to Adelaide in one of Richard Branson's limo's..... The Jag will not be making it's debut on the salt this year. BG has worked his skinny butt off and his credit card has been worn thin but there is too much to do and not enough time.

He got the diff back on monday which has been braced to buggery and tacked together, he needs to test fit it and work out coilover mounting, clearances, etc. Once that's done it will head back for a rear brace, final welding and straightening. It works out to be an expensive piece of gear. Narrowed 9 inch housing, braced at rear and underneath, mountings for 4 link and coilovers, nodular centre with spool and 2.5 gears (the gears are probably the cheapest part), 35 (?) spline axles, floater kit and disks.... It almost needs mirrors under the car to show it off but with an inch of ground clearance it may not be practical...

All that was left to do was paint the whole thing, wire it up, fit a fuel system, build the extractors, buy a tailshaft, dynotune the motor, fit lexan screens, fit roof rails, buy a parachute.............

Next year! It will be done!!
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I'm not going to make it this year myself, to many other commitments and a few sour business ventures,
I'm looking forward to going up and helping out, have put my hand up to volunteer my services, and join in, some how,

I should be headin up early in the week to help set up, ( drink Booze ) not go to work.
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

To Hedgash , Lynchy , Gazza , Dirty Dave & anyone else that don't think it can be done;here's a quote from Bruce (the ch#te packer) ,on my crew , "if it wasn't for the last minute , NOTHING would get done!!. I have promised Bruce EVERY TIME he has come over from NZ , that things would be ready - BULLSHIT- Bruce weld this , bleed that , check those etc etc . This year will be different (BULLSHIT , Bruce , lucky you got here a day early .Can you do this etc etc etc ) Thats what happens when you go racing , DON'T GIVE UP , you still have that last minute!! Cheers Bob #66 C/GCC.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

BOB ELLIS wrote:To Hedgash , Lynchy , Gazza , Dirty Dave & anyone else that don't think it can be done;here's a quote from Bruce (the ch#te packer) ,on my crew , "if it wasn't for the last minute , NOTHING would get done!!. I have promised Bruce EVERY TIME he has come over from NZ , that things would be ready - BULLSHIT- Bruce weld this , bleed that , check those etc etc . This year will be different (BULLSHIT , Bruce , lucky you got here a day early .Can you do this etc etc etc ) Thats what happens when you go racing , DON'T GIVE UP , you still have that last minute!! Cheers Bob #66 C/GCC.
You got half a dozen spare Bruce,s ?
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Reverend Hedgash

Thanks Bob,

we are not giving up! There are still a lot of last minutes!

It may not be pretty, but it WILL be there.

RevH+
DLRA Member#412