Commodore Valuables

Moderator: DLRA

blownvn
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:57 pm

Re: more

Post by blownvn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 am

Dr Goggles wrote:Give us the skinny Scotty, you told me you "embedded" the push-rods in them?...so, the solids are too unforgiving?.......do tell, in long hand too.....

ta.
For solids you'll need adjustable rockers, but yeah I embedded pushrods in two rockers. They'd be fine for a time, then the rockers would get noisy and sure as shit you'd find a pushrod embedded in one. The first time I got a replacement from YT, but the second time I just gave up on them and went back to std. Never had a problem with the rockers again.

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

Re: more

Post by Dr Goggles » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:15 am

blownvn wrote:
Dr Goggles wrote:Give us the skinny Scotty, you told me you "embedded" the push-rods in them?...so, the solids are too unforgiving?.......do tell, in long hand too.....

ta.
For solids you'll need adjustable rockers, but yeah I embedded pushrods in two rockers. They'd be fine for a time, then the rockers would get noisy and sure as shit you'd find a pushrod embedded in one. The first time I got a replacement from YT, but the second time I just gave up on them and went back to std. Never had a problem with the rockers again.
That motor was the "quickest" V6 commodore motor...now it's the fastest.....

I've a cunning plan........ :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

ouch.....

Post by Dr Goggles » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Yella Terra, billet, adjustable Ls1 style roller rockers........on the way....

gulp.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

blownvn
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:57 pm

Post by blownvn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 am

Just a little clip I slung together this week. Thought you might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtW-eMPnto

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

Post by Dr Goggles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:19 am

blownvn wrote:Just a little clip I slung together this week. Thought you might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtW-eMPnto
Ta Scotty,I'll watch it when I get home .

Gave the Yella Terra's a miss and have bought some stainless adjustable LS-1 style roller rockers from Iowa, a caring company in Sydney offered to bring them in for only $10 freight, it's just that they wanted to double the price on them, much as I always try to support Australian business I draw the line at pirates, arggggghhhh, "pieces of eight, I mean V6" :wink:

Still struggling to nail the right solid lifters, the main issue seems to be the oil gallery, Crow told me yesterday that that they had initially tried to use Ls-1 solidbut the oiling wasn't right, didn't say why other than it was an issue with the gallery, we're trying to nut that out now......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

User avatar
ROSS BROWN
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: COORPAROO BRISBANE

Post by ROSS BROWN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:08 pm

The one good use of hydraulic lifters is that they deliver oil to the top end
were solids don't . The LS 1 solid is probably useable ,but a line feed to the top end will need to be installed. (I THINK ) :?
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

nearly

Post by Dr Goggles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:48 pm

If I had a penny for each of my thoughts this week I'd be quitting my job and doing this full-time.....I have a stock hydraulic roller lifter sitting on my desk......that has been apart a few times....I had a response to your post Ross, but for now I'll keep it to myself....I do have some ideas for modifying the stock lifters though....if only I had access to a urethane injection moulding set up :roll: :roll: :roll:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

User avatar
Reverend Hedgash
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:19 pm
Location: China

Post by Reverend Hedgash » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

DLRA Member#412

User avatar
ROSS BROWN
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: COORPAROO BRISBANE

Post by ROSS BROWN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 pm

As long as the lifter oil holes stay within the window of the block holes there should be no reason for the oil not to go up the push rod tube.
But for some reason manufactures have stayed away from feeding top ends this way when it comes to solids. I could be wwwrrrroooonnnggg but I cant recall any engine being fed this way.
Somebody prove me wrong . :?
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925

User avatar
ROSS BROWN
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: COORPAROO BRISBANE

Post by ROSS BROWN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:52 pm

The reason could be !!
As the camshaft face part of a lifter is ground with a 1 degree convex surface ,so as it will rotate in its bore ( minimizing wear & stopping things from getting square edges. the centrifical spinning force will make it want to dispell oil rather than accept it.
As a hydraulic lifter is miniture valved pump with inlet & exaust the suction on the inlet is great enough to over come the centrifical nature of the lifter.
Solid roller lifters are immune to this(as they dont rotate) . but because of their length, they can be outside the window of the feed hole.(and must be checked )
I have seen solid lifters with the feed openings drilled & ground in such a way that the centrifical effect was nullified , when I asked how well they worked ,there. was some grummbling with no direct answer. :evil:
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

solid mate

Post by Dr Goggles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:54 pm

well, after talking to our cam man this afternoon it seems that my crazy ideas that I'd had weren't so crazy after all.... there are a couple of bushie methods of modifying the hydraulic roller lifters, one involving paring off lifter pistons to replace the springs and at the same time soldering up the oil hole and drilling a smaller one.......My idea of making a urethane bung with an oil passage ( it would have nowhere to expand to and would thus have very little give)wasn't poo-pooed either, the only reason for that idea was an effort to reduce chatter, this ain't based on engine building experience but rather a more lateral notion that at very high revs there will be destructive harmonics and anything that would deaden or defeat them couldn't be a bad thing...........

It also seems after talking to him that I spoke to the wrong person at their competitors and that the LS-1 lifters will do the job if we want to go that way......

Anyway the cam guy likes the sound of what we're putting together...or at least at this point trying to put together.... :wink:

Comments Chris?
Mr Bee Are Oh Dubya En wrote:The reason could be !!
As the camshaft face part of a lifter is ground with a 1 degree convex surface ,so as it will rotate in its bore ( minimizing wear & stopping things from getting square edges. the centrifical spinning force will make it want to dispell oil rather than accept it.
As a hydraulic lifter is miniture valved pump with inlet & exaust the suction on the inlet is great enough to over come the centrifical nature of the lifter.
Solid roller lifters are immune to this(as they dont rotate) . but because of their length, they can be outside the window of the feed hole.(and must be checked )
I have seen solid lifters with the feed openings drilled & ground in such a way that the centrifical effect was nullified , when I asked how well they worked ,there. was some grummbling with no direct answer

Yeah but. The standard commo ones are rollers and have little paired girdles so they don't rotate and we'll be staying with rollers so we need vertically linked ones if we get aftermarkets. These standard ones have a chamfer that gives access to the oiler hole , a simple mod would be to solder up the hole, flip them around and drill a smaller hole in the other side.The only concern I have with jamming these ones solid is the clip in the top will need some pre-load so it doesn't get belted everytime the cam hits it, I dunno how long they'd last if there was freeplay in them
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

User avatar
ROSS BROWN
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: COORPAROO BRISBANE

Post by ROSS BROWN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:50 pm

DR GEE

Yove got to be kidding me. :shock:

Last time I looked under a commodore hood they,d just finished celebrating that the engine colour was now blue instead of red 8)
and now ya tell me that they come with roller camshafts standard. :shock:
overhead valve , red to blue, roller cam, WOW 8) 8) Whats next :?:
All this tecnology is to much !
I need a sleep :lol:

oh yeah !! BLOWNVN that video is way cool. 8)
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925

blownvn
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:57 pm

Post by blownvn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:10 pm

ROSS BROWN wrote:DR GEE

Yove got to be kidding me. :shock:

Last time I looked under a commodore hood they,d just finished celebrating that the engine colour was now blue instead of red 8)
and now ya tell me that they come with roller camshafts standard. :shock:
overhead valve , red to blue, roller cam, WOW 8) 8) Whats next :?:
All this tecnology is to much !
I need a sleep :lol:

oh yeah !! BLOWNVN that video is way cool. 8)
Thanks Ross, I have more footage somewhere but I seem to have misplaced a couple tapes from that year. :?

Yep the old Commodore engine has come along way. Next they'll have quad overhead cam and direct injection :wink:

User avatar
Dr Goggles
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Right behind you Chief !

tops

Post by Dr Goggles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Yeah the video's great Scotty, thanks....pity it was running like a B.O.S........it was a 330,000k VP dunger afterall........

Check out when its running at speed , there is NO rooster tail, now just in case yous are wondering , that's an indicator of good aero.......if there is a rooster tail it shouldn't rise much above the car....now the motor in the tank sure wasn't tough enough to spin the bags but a high rooster tail indicates a low pressure area behind the car.....
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..

blownvn
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:57 pm

Re: tops

Post by blownvn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:48 pm

Dr Goggles wrote:Yeah the video's great Scotty, thanks....pity it was running like a B.O.S........it was a 330,000k VP dunger afterall........

Check out when its running at speed , there is NO rooster tail, now just in case yous are wondering , that's an indicator of good aero.......if there is a rooster tail it shouldn't rise much above the car....now the motor in the tank sure wasn't tough enough to spin the bags but a high rooster tail indicates a low pressure area behind the car.....
Here's a little secret, the high speed pass footage is sped up :P , unfortunately the only footage of that type I could find was a slow 125mph licence pass. I need to find my other tapes. :(

I didn't want to add a slow pass because the car is so much better than that. :)

Post Reply