Ceramic coatings

Moderator: DLRA

T-34

Ceramic coatings

Post by T-34 »

Just found a local mob that do cermaic coating and am thinking of getting my combustion chambers and piston crowns done, they can also do a skirt coating to reduce friction. My engine is blown and this year the budget does not extend to forged pistons so I'm thinking that this could be a good idea. Prices were very reasonable.

Anyone tried this before? I'm interested to hear other people experiences.

If anyone else is interested - here's a link - http://www.pacemaker.com.au/index.php?o ... Itemid=327
#809Image
harky

Re: Ceramic coatings

Post by harky »

I have used them for exhausts , but not internal parts
the service was quick and they called me as soon as the job was ready
( thats hard to find nowadays ---- real service )
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

I have used internal coatings on all my bikes, since i did my first piston coating in about 99 and noticed a definite difference in engine temp on a 595 daytona , they were hot buggers in traffic , and after coating it took a lot longer to get to that stage
recon its saved a lot of grief over the years with the turbo motors too

even have a funny wall hanging , piston top from one of my motors after the bush fire
i found the spare 750 motor gutted of aluminium, all the head studs supported by the copper gaskets and niccasil cyl liners , valves laying all around complete with springs and seats, and each cyl still had the ceramic piston top with rings pin and rod in order behind it
kept a piston top, scrapped the rest
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Thanks guys, great feedback.

Going to pop round there and have a chat with them. Will let you know how I get on.
#809Image
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Iv'e used ceramic crown coatings on most of my small bikes, except the 250's maiden run, holed a piston,,
I'm not sold on combustion chamber coating, the head has to go somewhere, and blocking heat transfer to the water jacket, or cooling fins seems counter productive to me ?
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

dont know nothing about Ceramic coating piston tops, except for what ive overheard Greg saying in various conversations, :) ,, observation tells me that it depends on what fuels one runs and the dependency of that fuel on combustion temperature, :wink: ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
T-34

Post by T-34 »

gennyshovel wrote:I'm not sold on combustion chamber coating, the head has to go somewhere, and blocking heat transfer to the water jacket, or cooling fins seems counter productive to me ?
An interesting point. My main reason for wanting to do it apart from not running forged pistons is that I have cooked a few valve seats due to excessive heat in the head. The heat seems to become too much for the normal cooling to handle. I figure if I can keep the heat in the chamber and then spit it out the exhaust that would be a benefit - but then would I just be putting extra heat exactly where I don't want it?

Hopefully visiting the coating place this arvo, will see what tech advice they can give me.
#809Image
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I'm sure there are blokes that frequent the Landracing forum who could advise you , experience will outweigh sales pitch every time.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering