HP required,

Moderator: DLRA

Stayt`ie

HP required,

Post by Stayt`ie »

what hp is required to run a partial streamlined motorcycle, 200mph on the salt :?: , i realize there are many variables that could influence the answer, so what dose it take to run a busa to this speed :?: i recall reading somewhere, that 180 is the figure, so what do ya recon :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
ben james

Post by ben james »

so how much power has the zx12 got ronnie, remember there not quite as aerodynamic as the busas
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Stayt'ie mine had 220+ at the rear wheels ( stock busa with an 80 shot) , but I had at least 17% wheelspin on the juice , Gregs 350+ and Gazza not sure his was N/A I think around 190 but a lot less wheel spin
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I guess 200MPH is out on the postie then :cry:
Cheers Tiny 8)
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

180 may do it in the right conditions!
In 04 Gazza and Grant were inching toward 200mph , each run was faster than the previous and after they both cracked 200 the air went off and 198 was the best that could be done .
I believe they both would have had ~175hp
ben james

Post by ben james »

hi greg, what do you mean by the air went off. was it because of the heat and the air was thin and easier to push the lower horesepower bikes through to get their 200. my kawa z1000 will after this year have about 150 hp at crank and i was going to put a multi stage nitrous kit on it to give it an extra 50 hp on top of hat. was reading this story about this guy in WA who had a basically stock gsx 1100 engined drag bike with this form of nitrous and got it into the sevens.
regards
ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

ben, i had the zx12 on the dyno just over a year ago, she made 159hp dead stock, removed the canister (muffler) and catalic converter , made 169hp. it would run consistant 9.90`s with the 169, took the primary pipe off (although it looks like one, there is two in there), reshaped the collector added a megephone and it ran 9.70`s. i reacon it was in the 170`s , thats why i asked the inital question, yes thay do not have the aero that the busas do, so it would be interesting to see if it would crack 200mph (given the right conditions, maybe)... garry or gazza, did 190 achieve the 217mph?,,, googles, tuck in behind mate, ya never know,,, greg i`ll let you explain the density thing,,, thanks for the imput,,, seeya in march... 8)
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

ooop`s :oops: gennyshovel, ya better tuck in behind mate,,, had a postie once, flatout down the headland`s of a sugarcane paddock, i`ll swear that thing was doin 200plus, that is untill i hit a bandycoot, ahhhshite :lol: :lol:
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Stayt'ie i'll try :? though i'm sure there are others that have weather stations and understand better the cause and effect

Cool dry air is good for hp,hot dry air is easier to push thru.air can also be hot and dense or cool and thin & moisture adds another dimension
At some point there is a temp & density that suits your vehicle, most NA guys like to run in the cool of the morning, I like the mid afternoon heat as traction is more of an issue than hp.
Then there's probably issues with traction difference between damp early morn salt and dusty mid day ,
All i know for sure is sometimes they go faster, thems the times to take advantage of.