Fuels V running Temps

Moderator: DLRA

DirtyDave

Fuels V running Temps

Post by DirtyDave »

At this stage i am sitting on an engine combination that i can make what ever compression ratio i like, but still unsure of where to build to, i was thinking of running around the 14:1 mark on methanol, but might build a slightly softer set up and run a racing gasoline, it would appear that VPc16 is a bit of a favorite, this fuel is designed for racing aircraft, does it run cooler or or better in high altitudes or hotter conditions..why is it popular with the land-racers...
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Greg Watters

fuels

Post by Greg Watters »

Dave it has been fairly easily obtained , but that will be changing as leaded fuels are phased out of raceing. current leaded fuels licences are dated 05 but extended to June 06.
It may be that some like me running hi lead fuels that meet gas class specifications will have to go to methanol or reduce performance levels .
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Dave I used VP -16 because it had a high MON octane rating and its specific gravity was higher than either NOS supreme or VP import and was a bit cheaper as well but it must be said I was also using large shots of nitrous , I have since switched to methanol for 2 reasons firstly, its way cheaper ,I buy in bulk, 90C liter and secondly leaded petrol will eventually stop ,so I made the switch earlier to get a handle on it ,OH and maybe a 3rd reason it mixes well with nitro I've been told :wink:
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

14:1 on methanol "is" soft, my suggestion, dont go softer, just keep advancing the spark 8) , i agree with garry, methanol is way cheaper and consistant, i have always used the shell stuff in my turbo bikes, because it has a higer acertone content, i found it gives a cleaner burn which helps in plug readings :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,